The New Raith Rovers Thread

I would assume that Russell, Gathuessi, Armstrong and Shields won't be offered anything in the summer. But least they have 3 games to sort of play their way into contention so to speak. (Armstrong obviously just the 2)

Surely we'll be looking at Johnny Russell in the summer. I'd imagine if Dundee United don't tie him down, we'll be trying to get him as he has been excellent for us.

If we want to move forward instead of fighting to keep ourselves out of the relegation spots next season and with Russell and Mole going back to their clubs,we need to

Punt

Williamson

Weir

Both are under contract for next season.

Steady on everyone. Of course you're always looking to make progress and of course McGlynn will be doing so.

But that doesn't mean punting a raft of players because we think we can expect or demand better ones. Get a grip. The cup run will help a bit but we're still going to be among the lower wage payers in this league, we'll have to make do accordingly.

Surely we'll be looking at Johnny Russell in the summer. I'd imagine if Dundee United don't tie him down, we'll be trying to get him as he has been excellent for us.

Yeah sort of mis typed that. I shouldn't have really included him. But I did say at the end of my other post that I would like Russell to stay.

For me, progress is maintaining a core, yet looking to improve that core. Moving on our weaker players, and those who have not featured is the correct thing to do, both for the club and the players concerned. Replace them with new players, and give them a chance to provide some new competition to the incumbents.

We're not looking at sweeping changes here, merely 4 or 5.

Edited by Michael W

Steady on everyone. Of course you're always looking to make progress and of course McGlynn will be doing so.

But that doesn't mean punting a raft of players because we think we can expect or demand better ones. Get a grip. The cup run will help a bit but we're still going to be among the lower wage payers in this league, we'll have to make do accordingly.

For me it's simple, Simmons & Davo (and Sloan) need to go and everyone else can stay as squad players.

Why pick on those players? Purely to enable our midfield to function properly and centre mid is their only effective position.

We can't keep all the players we have now and improve the squad with the budget constraints so some need to make way and the prime candidates are midfielders because the defence is fine and we have no strikers!

Edited by pantene proV

I am a Fezza lover. He is the archetypal McGlynn player - versatile! In the right formation he can get us goals from midfield, of that I have no doubts. His arial ability is also a reason to keep.

I am the original Fez fan. There is simply no way we should be punting a guy who can fill in as many positions as he can. He is also one of the most complete footballers in the squad.

far from being back up, I'd like to see him push to make the LB slot his own. With all due repsect to Ellis, who I still think is a better CB, Ferry can pick out some great balls down the wing, and when he cuts inside to shoot, he's usually a very potent threat.

Edited by renton

Seems strange that all the talk is of players fans would keep and players they would punt.

Is no one concerned of the possibility of some of our (I'd like to keep) players' being lured to by a bigger wage packet.

I would suggest we might have a struggle keeping hold of Walker and 'cup tie' Tade.

I too would probably keep Ferry. A player that can play across midfield and full back is a very useful one to have. I'd maybe keep Sloan as well mind you, I don't think he's been given a fair chance this season and has put in some excellent showings when he has played. His passing is 100000% better than Davidson and Simmons', although I acknowledge he is very hit and miss. Wouldn't complain if we kept him, nor if we released him.

McGurn, Campbell (if his knee isn't ruined), Walker and Tadé are the players that might be looked at by better sides than ourselves. Would be devastated to lose any of them.

Seems strange that all the talk is of players fans would keep and players they would punt.

Is no one concerned of the possibility of some of our (I'd like to keep) players' being lured to by a bigger wage packet.

I would suggest we might have a struggle keeping hold of Walker and 'cup tie' Tade.

I did mention this, yeah. I didn't mention Tadé because he's under contract, but some of the others could be sought after - Walker and McGurn and maybe Hill would be my main worries.

I'd keep Ferry too, but I wouldn't say I'd join this new fan club.

He's excellent if he has the ball at his feet, and nobody bothers to close him down. He's got an excellent shot on him, and can deliver decent crosses. But he needs too much time for it to be properly useful. He seems to work on 0.5 speed. Not just in his running, but the time it takes him to look up, decide on a course of action, and then carry it out.

I'm being very harsh, but as I said, I would keep him on.

But then, I'd keep Davidson too. He's a menace, and runs about crashing into people. I like that.

Not a Simmons fan, though. I'd agree that we shouldn't really have him and Davidson. For me, we should keep one, and there's no contest. I'd much rather have the less-petulant-than-he-used-to-be booked-twice-for-every-three-games Kirkcaldy captain, than the ever-petulant red-card-every-three-games former Townie Simmons...

I think Stephen Simmons would be excellent in a team where he's the best player. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he left us, went to somewhere like Arbroath (for example) where he could command the midfield and knock passes about, knowing he's a wee bit cut above the rest. I don't know if I'm getting my point across...

I too would probably keep Ferry. A player that can play across midfield and full back is a very useful one to have. I'd maybe keep Sloan as well mind you, I don't think he's been given a fair chance this season and has put in some excellent showings when he has played. His passing is 100000% better than Davidson and Simmons', although I acknowledge he is very hit and miss. Wouldn't complain if we kept him, nor if we released him.

McGurn, Campbell (if his knee isn't ruined), Walker and Tadé are the players that might be looked at by better sides than ourselves. Would be devastated to lose any of them.

I'd keep Sloan. Definitely. I don't think he's had a decent enough crack at this season and he's better than our other midfielders in my opinion. If someone could just get the fecker fit.. (and quicker)

Was Tade not being watched by Motherwell recently? Thats the (perhaps ridiculous) rumour I heard a few weeks back when Shagger Brown was at Starks.

Hard to argue with most of what has been posted re: next season, and if we can all see it, then I'm sure McGlynn can too. We're in good hands.

(For now.. ph34r.gif )

Of course we'll keep Davidson, he's an important player for us.

...and of course captain. I would keep him I suppose. Sometime's he does pick out passes and he does play with his heart on his sleeve. A lesser of two evils than Simmons. One of them has to go in the summer if we are to progress in my opinion.