Who's Going To Uni?

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Part of my course is based around calcuations and my feeling is that this has to be individual (not groups).

Separately I'm replacing our postgraduate dissertation...with a big groupwork piece 😃. Students may hate it but reduces the marking by four fifths. 

Group work was always a nightmare :lol: Pairs is doable but any group you typically end up with someone who can’t be fucked (good experience for working life I suppose). Might be different at postgraduate level tbf 

1 hour ago, EvilScotsman said:

A first class degree and a lingering sense of shame.

I'm told.

Sounds good. Hopefully Scottsdad'll fix it for me!

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Part of my course is based around calcuations and my feeling is that this has to be individual (not groups).

Separately I'm replacing our postgraduate dissertation...with a big groupwork piece 😃. Students may hate it but reduces the marking by four fifths. 

Last time I was at uni, I got lumbered with a team of lazy guys to do the final project with, so I did the whole thing and let them do the presentation from my notes. Pretty sure at least some of them wouldn't have passed otherwise. Nobody gave a shit then either.

At best, group work's generally awful because the learning stops while everyone tries to muddle through with the stuff they know they're OK at. I've never had a lecturer tell people to focus on the areas they're poor in so they improve, presumably because they know they'll be inundated with questions. Think I might try to get into this uni lark - Mullarkey seems to do alright, and I'm pretty sure he gets freshers to type his posts for him because it's too strenuous.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Sounds good. Hopefully Scottsdad'll fix it for me!

Last time I was at uni, I got lumbered with a team of lazy guys to do the final project with, so I did the whole thing and let them do the presentation from my notes. Pretty sure at least some of them wouldn't have passed otherwise. Nobody gave a shit then either.

At best, group work's generally awful because the learning stops while everyone tries to muddle through with the stuff they know they're OK at. I've never had a lecturer tell people to focus on the areas they're poor in so they improve, presumably because they know they'll be inundated with questions. Think I might try to get into this uni lark - Mullarkey seems to do alright, and I'm pretty sure he gets freshers to type his posts for him because it's too strenuous.

Fuxake, is Mullarkay a Uni lecturer ?  I thought he worked at a concrete outfit !!!! 🫣

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Fuxake, is Mullarkay a Uni lecturer ?  I thought he worked at a concrete outfit !!!! 🫣

He works at a uni, I think? Does plenty of research, but nothing concrete. Arf.

Bet he uses that pun every day.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I teach concrete chemistry and mechanical properties in my course 🧱

Random platinum member: "hey, let's check out Mullarkey and Scottsdad's PMs - bet there's some chuckles to be had there!"

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Been marking today and think I have found my first ChatGPT misconduct case. 

Bassa

After encouraging us all to use this "ChatDGP" tool that all their students seemed to be finding so useful, one of our lecturers recently did a volte-face after being told that they'd be expected to make sure their students weren't handing in coursework generated by it  :lol:

I mean...a 2 hour online exam (online because of an admin f**k up, by the way - I wanted these fuckers in an exam hall). 

And the student expects me to believe that he cranked out 3000 of his own words?

I went to ChatGPT and typed my questions in - the answers coming back are very similar (in some parts identical). 

Just now, scottsdad said:

I mean...a 2 hour online exam (online because of an admin f**k up, by the way - I wanted these fuckers in an exam hall). 

And the student expects me to believe that he cranked out 3000 of his own words?

I went to ChatGPT and typed my questions in - the answers coming back are very similar (in some parts identical). 

Black cap please.

37 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

TBF, I've probably churned out 3000 words on here today.

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

ChatBFTD ?

Might ask @TxRover to fill in for me during the holidays.

MixuFixit would probably have been able to scrape a list of our top 1000 words/phrases and get ChatGPT to produce uncannily similar posts. Worth looking into for when we all kick off - imagine a wee corner of the internet still chuntering about Rangers mk. I being deid and outing each other as aliases in the year 3000.

My undergraduate dissertation had a word limit of 6000 with 10% leeway. I think my final count was 6590. I went through it word by word counting all the indented quotes and citations so I could count those words out. I probably spent more time doing that than I did writing it.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Might ask @TxRover to fill in for me during the holidays.

MixuFixit would probably have been able to scrape a list of our top 1000 words/phrases and get ChatGPT to produce uncannily similar posts. Worth looking into for when we all kick off - imagine a wee corner of the internet still chuntering about Rangers mk. I being deid and outing each other as aliases in the year 3000.

Why thank you. While it is important to take holidays, one cannot overlook the need for preparation when one is about to go on one…er, wait, what…

I've just found out I completely misunderstood what the lecturers were talking about re. Word count.

I am sure they said references are not included, which I took to me in text references as well (Peil, 2008 p.442), turns out they meant reference lists/bibilography.

Somehow I got away with it on my first TMA, but now I've flagged it I expect to get battered 10% for my latest one.

11 hours ago, Peil said:

I've just found out I completely misunderstood what the lecturers were talking about re. Word count.

I am sure they said references are not included, which I took to me in text references as well (Peil, 2008 p.442), turns out they meant reference lists/bibilography.

Somehow I got away with it on my first TMA, but now I've flagged it I expect to get battered 10% for my latest one.

Yeah, it would take ages for a lecturer to count your words and then subtract the in-text citations. 

Truth be told, for me if it looks in the right ballpark then I'm happy. If the dissertation is 12,000 words plus references and the whole document is, say, 13,000 words I'm not checking a thing.