Who's Going To Uni?

Bump.

Think I have made a c**t of my first TMA of the year.

The essay was meant to be 1500 words, I knew it was 1500 words when I started. When I finished, for some reason I thought it was 1200 words. My essay is 1150. Tit. I think I have also made an arse of the content of the essay, even though I fully understand and enjoy the course! Dick.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Bump.

The essay was meant to be 1500 words, I knew it was 1500 words when I started. When I finished, for some reason I thought it was 1200 words. My essay is 1150. Tit. I think I have also made an arse of the content of the essay, even though I fully understand and enjoy the course! Dick.

fuckup.gif.de0a6c5d204dc5cec75885314d118999.gif

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Bump.

You got time to grind out 300 words of waffle?

Add "so in order to" and "which is to say that" to every sentence and you'll be set.

Edit: don't forget a few "The Oxford English Dictionary defines <x> as".

Edited by BFTD

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You got time to grind out 300 words of waffle?

Add "so in order to" and "which is to say that" to every sentence and you'll be set.

Edit: don't forget a few "The Oxford English Dictionary defines <x> as".

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Possibly throw in a "Just to reiterate........"

Submitted it 2 days ago lads.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Submitted it 2 days ago lads.

She'll take into account the fact that your work is top quality no doubt.

Quality over quantity every time.

Then just fess up to the word count and tell her that for some inexplicable neurological inexactitude, you could have sworn that 1200 words were asked for.

You'll be fine.

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

She'll take into account the fact that your work is top quality no doubt.

Quality over quantity every time.

Then just fess up to the word count and tell her that for some inexplicable neurological inexactitude, you could have sworn that 1200 words were asked for.

You'll be fine.

I usually hit around the 60-70 mark for my essays, I know I won't be anywhere near that for this one.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Bump.

I think there's a standard deduction for low word count? 

5 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Bump.

The word count thing...don't sweat it too much. Nobody likes reading an essay that has clearly been padded out. 

Hopefully you're not too far off the mark with the content 

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Bump.

At least they'll know you didn't copy it.

From what I recall, word counts are usually +/- 10% either side. You'll still be out, but not by much, so won't be penalised too much.

Would definitely recommend emailing the tutor to tell them and ask them if you can resubmit. I imagine they'll be fine with that.

Crashed out of a physics degree back in the early/mid 90s as I had zero idea of how to study, having coasted through a shit school. 

After a good 30 years I started the OU back in October, aiming for a history degree eventually. 

Really enjoying it so far, just about to submit my second TMA.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The word count thing...don't sweat it too much. Nobody likes reading an essay that has clearly been padded out. 

Hopefully you're not too far off the mark with the content 

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

From what I recall, word counts are usually +/- 10% either side. You'll still be out, but not by much, so won't be penalised too much.

Would definitely recommend emailing the tutor to tell them and ask them if you can resubmit. I imagine they'll be fine with that.

I have emailed my Tutor apologising for my poor standard of work. I left it too late in the day to start my TMA, I gave myself 3 nights for the essay. It's my own fault.

I will not be submitting garbage like that again.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

I have emailed my Tutor apologising for my poor standard of work. I left it too late in the day to start my TMA, I gave myself 3 nights for the essay. It's my own fault.

I will not be submitting garbage like that again.

Im guessing you're early on in your course. Word count is not as important as content. Ok you'll get penalised a bit but from what I've been told, it's not worth stressing over.

You'll get a pass no problem. 40% is a pass and marks don't matter in the first 2 years.

Just learn from it and don't make the same mistake again.

Good luck.

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Im guessing you're early on in your course. Word count is not as important as content. Ok you'll get penalised a bit but from what I've been told, it's not worth stressing over.

You'll get a pass no problem. 40% is a pass and marks don't matter in the first 2 years.

Just learn from it and don't make the same mistake again.

Good luck.

Yeah, it's my first TMA in my 3rd year of OU. I usually get about 60-70, with the odd exception each way. I just know that it's the worst I've produced so far.

Thank you.

I had varying experiences in my time at uni with marking. I had one lecturer who was the strictest marker in the department, me and a pal got the highest marks on her course and got 63 and 61 respectively. 

Another one of my lecturers I reckon I could’ve submitted a steaming pile of dug shite and she’d have managed to grade it at least a C. She was that generous