Who's Going To Uni?

I had my last ever exam yesterday, and I thought that I managed to do fairly well although it was a tough one. They weren't nearly as good this year as last year, but hopefully I'll have done enough to get the First I need. We had a good night out last night too, and the majority of the class came along for a change. Now it's time for the waiting game. Hopefully they get them marked quickly!

Made my choices for second year today. Easiest decision of my life choosing Maths and Stats. In second year there are only 40 credits of Stats so I have to do double the amount in Maths which doesn't seem too bad. As I made a complete disaster of choice in doing Computing Science in 1st year it looks as if I'll be having to do 20 extra credits in second year but I'll be doing them in the course I originally wanted to do and, tbh, it looks like it's one of the easiest courses that they teach but it's simply there to make up the credits and allow me to get to Honours. Doing that in the 1st Semester doesn't seem to bad. Looking forward to second year now as I will studying subjects that want to study and I will have learned from the mistakes I made in 1st year.

Some of the stats will be fairly straightforward. IIRC, there are a few bits which are repetitions of things you'll have done in first year.

I found maths pretty good in the first semester, but I really didn't enjoy it in the second half of the year. It was those courses which put me off continuing any further with maths. You'll be looking forward to proving that 2 > 1 and that 0 exists in Foundations of Real Mathematics (I think that's what it's called). Then you have Introduction to Real Analysis (which amusingly was called Introduction to Real Anal on the exam timetable), which none of us really understood, but which we all managed to get good grades in. From the sounds of things, you're studying the Cryptography and Number Theory module too - it is piss easy compared to the rest.

So, procrastination has driven me back to General Nonsense, a place I haven't been in a while.

Three exams in three days, minimal revision accomplished. Still, at least it'll all be over tomorrow morning.

By the way, Stirling folk, do the barriers at the back entrance, by the monument, open for anyone, or do you need a permit/buzzed in?

So, procrastination has driven me back to General Nonsense, a place I haven't been in a while.

Three exams in three days, minimal revision accomplished. Still, at least it'll all be over tomorrow morning.

By the way, Stirling folk, do the barriers at the back entrance, by the monument, open for anyone, or do you need a permit/buzzed in?

You need to be buzzed in.

Some of the stats will be fairly straightforward. IIRC, there are a few bits which are repetitions of things you'll have done in first year.

I found maths pretty good in the first semester, but I really didn't enjoy it in the second half of the year. It was those courses which put me off continuing any further with maths. You'll be looking forward to proving that 2 > 1 and that 0 exists in Foundations of Real Mathematics (I think that's what it's called). Then you have Introduction to Real Analysis (which amusingly was called Introduction to Real Anal on the exam timetable), which none of us really understood, but which we all managed to get good grades in. From the sounds of things, you're studying the Cryptography and Number Theory module too - it is piss easy compared to the rest.

Yeh, I didn't think it was a good idea to do 20 credits of another subject when I could tie it in with Maths. Don't understand why we can't do 60 credits of Stats next year though but we can do up to 80 of Maths. Maths was fairly simple this year so I don't have any real problem with it. One of the Maths modules is supposedly around Finance as well.

Yeh, I didn't think it was a good idea to do 20 credits of another subject when I could tie it in with Maths. Don't understand why we can't do 60 credits of Stats next year though but we can do up to 80 of Maths. Maths was fairly simple this year so I don't have any real problem with it. One of the Maths modules is supposedly around Finance as well.

When I did it, you were able to do 60 credits of stats if you wanted.

There are 40 compulsory credits of stats, and 60 compulsory credits of maths. Then you have to find 20 additional credits from somewhere. Maths offered the number theory course, the financial modelling course, and maybe something else at 10 credits each. Stats had two courses about the design of experiments or something along those lines. If your advisor is from maths, then they might have "forgotten" to tell you about the stats ones. Or they might not be running any more.

I did 50 credits of stats (the compulsory 40 + one of the design ones) and 70 credits of maths (the compulsory 60 + number theory).

Should I take two subjects in my 3rd semester, or take take something piss like computer science as easy credits?

Opinions from the masses needed.

Stirling Uni right?

If so, I'd recommend you take a third module. There is a chance that later in uni, circumstances might result in you failing a module, or getting a worse grade than you expected. Therefore, taking an extra module now gives you a bit of insurance just in case the worst happens.

Third semester?

Edit: Not only because there's three of them, but because if there's three of them it's not a "semester" but a "trimester"...

Glasgow only has 2 semesters, each 11 weeks long plus exam spells.

Edited by Ad Lib

Third semester?

Edit: Not only because there's three of them, but because if there's three of them it's not a "semester" but a "trimester"...

Glasgow only has 2 semesters, each 11 weeks long plus exam spells.

Semester 3...beginning of second year.

Is this you being pointlessly pedantic again? Does it really matter how its described?

Not trying to be pedantic (honest!) just seems a very odd way of putting it. I wouldn't have said at school that I was going into 5th term. I'd say I was in 2nd year and that it was second term.

Are you saying that you'd call the first semester in senior honours 5th semester? :huh:

Is this you being pointlessly pedantic again? Does it really matter how its described?

Ad Lib and his Troupe of pin head dancing angels, coming to a town near you....... depending on how near he defines 'near' as, that is.

Ad Lib and his Troupe of pin head dancing angels, coming to a town near you....... depending on how near he defines 'near' as, that is.

:lol:

Honestly though, asides the semester/trimester distinction I wasn't trying to be pedantic. It seemed genuinely baffling that someone would refer to the first semester in your second year at university as the 3rd semester. It's just like I wouldn't say I am 239 months old.

Not trying to be pedantic (honest!) just seems a very odd way of putting it. I wouldn't have said at school that I was going into 5th term. I'd say I was in 2nd year and that it was second term.

Are you saying that you'd call the first semester in senior honours 5th semester? :huh:

Thats the way the administration describe it, yes. Bear in mind that because of the semester arrangement, "first year computing" isn't limited to first years. You'll often get quite a lot of second years in there, and some of them switch degrees, and can end up staying for an extra semester to catch up. I always just used "first year" etc. but its perfectly clear to anyone at Stirling Uni what he meant!

:lol:

Honestly though, asides the semester/trimester distinction I wasn't trying to be pedantic. It seemed genuinely baffling that someone would refer to the first semester in your second year at university as the 3rd semester. It's just like I wouldn't say I am 239 months old.

And you don't look a day over 238 months either!

Thats the way the administration describe it, yes. Bear in mind that because of the semester arrangement, "first year computing" isn't limited to first years. You'll often get quite a lot of second years in there, and some of them switch degrees, and can end up staying for an extra semester to catch up. I always just used "first year" etc. but its perfectly clear to anyone at Stirling Uni what he meant!

All fair enough. I wasn't suggesting that people at Stirling didn't know what he meant.

I'd instinctively use years as an indication of the stage someone was at, notwithstanding how many years they'd actually been at the institution.