Who's Going To Uni?

I went to a private school and I can't recall anyone I ever interacted with having that sort of accent.

QMUers are closer to the parody.

Likewise. It's not a private school thing. Most of those I hear use it didn't go to private school.

Porbably my grammar at fault there I was asking if it's that the "GU accent" or is it the generic private school (boarding school might be closer to the truth to be honest) accent which definitely exists, it's not the same one as that though.

I find the GUU level of banter goes from toffish debating to laddish knobbery without any intermediate phase. If they hadn't banned the rugby team it would be unbearable. I like neither debating nor spewing. Any institution which runs something like the Iron Stoumach I am instantly a bit repulsed by.

The QMU I find is pretty accommodating to whatever you want, the pool tables are in better nick, champions bar actually has natural light and the place is just a bit less grotty in general and there are less knobs. Many an afternoon has been wasted on the pool tables there.

The only reason I ever go to the GU nowadays is to play snooker on the top floor.

Edited by Mushroom

I'm not even sure what people mean by the Glasgow Uni accent - is it this?

or is it just the generic private school accent. That's not something that happens at Glasgow Uni, it's just a demographic thing.

If it's the one Franscesca is parodying (is that a word? it should be) then I've found it to be just as prevalent at the GUU.

Top comment - "You are the worst person ever" :lol:

I just find the QMU to be a bit more relaxed, whilst the GUU seems more about this 'lad' culture. The rugby team themselves might be banned but last couple of times I've been in most the folk there seem to be rugby types, plus the QM has a picture of the Aberdeen CWC win.

Porbably my grammar at fault there I was asking if it's that the "GU accent" or is it the generic private school (boarding school might be closer to the truth to be honest) accent which definitely exists, it's not the same one as that though.

I find the GUU level of banter goes from toffish debating to laddish knobbery without any intermediate phase. If they hadn't banned the rugby team it would be unbearable. I like neither debating nor spewing. Any institution which runs something like the Iron Stoumach I am instantly a bit repulsed by.

The QMU I find is pretty accommodating to whatever you want, the pool tables are in better nick, champions bar actually has natural light and the place is just a bit less grotty in general and there are less knobs. Many an afternoon has been wasted on the pool tables there.

The only reason I ever go to the GU nowadays is to play snooker on the top floor.

I think that's all fair enough. I do a fair bit of debating through the GUU and I would say the debating scene is something that takes a bit of getting used to. To an outsider it certainly could seem "toffish" and it is a bit niche but many aspects of all the debating stuff is just an excuse to drink a lot, especially Parliamentaries.

Dancing to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" just isn't my idea of a good night. I refuse to apologise for this.

TBF I don't remember that being played when I went, but I did acquit myself well to "Moves like Jagger".

QMU > GUU.

I agree. I only use the GUU for snooker. The GUU seems bigger but there is a lot more to the QMU, probably because the second floor in the GUU is nothing. The 5 piece breakfast from the QMU is quality hangover scran though. What is the whole thing about the Qudos stage not getting used? I took some flyers things about next president, or some shit like that, of the QMU and every candidate seemed to mention the stage being brought back in for use. I didn't vote because I'm lazy but if I were to the guy who was hoping to introduce an off licence in there would have got my vote. I'm easily swayed. 8)

My exam timetable is a lot better than December start on the 24th April finish on the 17th May. Got loads of time between some exams. 4 in the first 2 weeks and then 2 in the last 2 weeks. After that Maths is getting punted.

Dancing to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" just isn't my idea of a good night. I refuse to apologise for this.

Edinburgh has 'The Big Cheese' at Potterow every week. Its an absolutely horrendous night out.

Edinburgh has 'The Big Cheese' at Potterow every week. Its an absolutely horrendous night out.

Unions in general are shite. I think I've been to Teviot once in about the last 12 months and I haven't been to Potterrow since first year.

the second floor in the GUU is nothing.

This couldn't be less true if you're involved in anything like debating. Most of the rooms on floor 2 of the GUU are used for clubs/activities etc. Just on Monday there was a big boxing ring with some bizarre martial arts thing taking place in the debates chamber.

I'm quite pleased with my exam timetable: 2nd, 4th, 7th and 15th of May.

Arguably the best I've had in the 6 semesters I've been here. It least number of exams I've had since first year which helps.

I just find the QMU to be a bit more relaxed, whilst the GUU seems more about this 'lad' culture. The rugby team themselves might be banned but last couple of times I've been in most the folk there seem to be rugby types, plus the QM has a picture of the Aberdeen CWC win.

That's a very good point, it really is much MUCH more relaxed.