Who's Going To Uni?

That's a bargain, wish I got such a good deal.

Do the bands depend on what subject you do?

Aye, for instance mine was in computing so the computers are already there, and aside from notes (which were on MyPlace) there was no other expense except the various lecturer's wages.

Law and medicine, etc, will be the dearest as they have to pay top dollar for guest lecturers and things like that. Also lab based subjects will have high overheads like equipment and insurance so they will cost a lot more.

Although I think it was £3.5k if I had done a Masters in Forensics after my first degree (that would have been five years ago though).

Got my SAAS letter in today and it just said it was paying my fees, listed no bursary.

Of course this lists it may be a partial award and that if they still needed information like a P60 they will ask for it at a later date. Which is a bit shit. The bursary I received last year was £1800 and the year before that £1300, so I'm certainly entitled and I did apply as I always do.

Tried calling on both number, and I'm curious as to how an automated number can be busy, but both put me on hold. Might try again tomorrow and just wait.

Probably quicker just heading to their offices to be honest...

Got my saas letter , got my fees paid for me and got my non income assesed loan (I went for the maximum) saying they needed a council tax bill to prove my mum was living alone and no mention of a bursary. <_<

You don't tend to get a bursary AND a loan. I wasn't entitled to a loan to do my Masters because of the PATHETIC bursary of £1100. I mean seriously, what the f**k are you meant to do with that piddly amount over the course of a year (living in central Edinburgh)?

Edited by SaltyTON

You don't tend to get a bursary AND a loan. I wasn't entitled to a loan to do my Masters because of the PATHETIC bursary of £1100. I mean seriously, what the f**k are you meant to do with that piddly amount over the course of a year (living in central Edinburgh)?

You don't? I know plenty of people that have!

You don't? I know plenty of people that have!

Nursing I'm sure you can as you have to work for the NHS as well as studying, and the bursary equates to something ridiculous like £0.17 an hour after you do all the work at the hospital, etc.

I know that there was never an option at any of my courses to have both, it was always one or other and the bursaries were tiny like the one I mentioned before.

Nursing I'm sure you can as you have to work for the NHS as well as studying, and the bursary equates to something ridiculous like £0.17 an hour after you do all the work at the hospital, etc.

I know that there was never an option at any of my courses to have both, it was always one or other and the bursaries were tiny like the one I mentioned before.

I don't know any student nurses who have got student loans though. I'm on the three year diploma course which comes with the degree option in the final year, so we're only entitled to bursaries. I mean students in other areas have got student loans and a minimal bursary at the same time. I've no idea why, they just have.

"We will pay this bursary instead of part of the student loan so it reduces the amount of loan you need to take out." That's from the SAAS website.

I don't get a bursary because my parents earnings are too high. Are they not for people with low earnings/single parents etc?

I don't know any student nurses who have got student loans though. I'm on the three year diploma course which comes with the degree option in the final year, so we're only entitled to bursaries. I mean students in other areas have got student loans and a minimal bursary at the same time. I've no idea why, they just have.

It's a bit unusual, possibly the reason given by HSF.

"We will pay this bursary instead of part of the student loan so it reduces the amount of loan you need to take out." That's from the SAAS website.

I don't get a bursary because my parents earnings are too high. Are they not for people with low earnings/single parents etc?

They must be, although why it should solely come down to want your parents earn is beyond me. Someone could have millionaire parents but receive nothing from them, and at the same time someone with a single parent could be rich enough to have their own unicorn.

The cut off level is ridiculously low for things like that!

Its very common now, students with parental incomes of something like under 30k a year get bursaries on a sliding scale. Once the parental income is low enough for them not to be asked to contribute anything students will get the same amount and the lower the income, the more of that will be bursary instead of loan.

First the term "junior honours" and now now this. Seriously, you're going to have to start checking things before stating them as facts.

Its very common now, students with parental incomes of something like under 30k a year get bursaries on a sliding scale. Once the parental income is low enough for them not to be asked to contribute anything students will get the same amount and the lower the income, the more of that will be bursary instead of loan.

First the term "junior honours" and now now this. Seriously, you're going to have to start checking things before stating them as facts.

Where did I state either as a fact? I think you are doing some sort of music course and reading doesn't play a strong part, but come on!

"You don't tend to" is hardly a statement of bona fide fact is it? The maximum allowed for the minimum bursary is £34,195, and given the national average salary for ONE person is around £26k (pretty sure that is down from a couple of years ago), I would say "you don't tend to" is actually correct, the more I think about it! If I wanted to be really pedantic, even if 49/100 people do get it - the quoted part would still be right... :rolleyes:

I do find it kind of funny though that I got a loan based on my parents income when I have more money than both of them put together! :lol: The loan paid for my fees so it served a purpose!

Where did I state either as a fact? I think you are doing some sort of music course and reading doesn't play a strong part, but come on!

"You don't tend to" is hardly a statement of bona fide fact is it? The maximum allowed for the minimum bursary is £34,195, and given the national average salary for ONE person is around £26k (pretty sure that is down from a couple of years ago), I would say "you don't tend to" is actually correct, the more I think about it! If I wanted to be really pedantic, even if 49/100 people do get it - the quoted part would still be right... :rolleyes:

I do find it kind of funny though that I got a loan based on my parents income when I have more money than both of them put together! :lol: The loan paid for my fees so it served a purpose!

You really don't do yourself any favours. Plus you're a scientist, what average are we talking here? Median? Mean? Is that taking account of outliers with a normal distribution? Don't try and pull degree snobbery on anyone here.

"You don't tend to get a bursary and a loan" is a statement which is implying it is a fact that it is uncommon. This is false, there is a significant amount of people, even on this thread who are under that £34k threshold.

Also, just so you know, I have an A in higher English, and a my degree contains a ridiculous amount of essay writing in the first year - and optional dissertations in 3rd and 4th year which I am doing, but don't let that get in the way of you questioning my literacy.

As xbl pointed out - if you want to do degree snobbery, I could bring up the fact you have a 2:2. At Glasgow a 2:2=C. I have only had one C from 13 modules to this point, the rest have been A's and B's.

*ugh* I feel like I'm validating every stereotype about Glasgow by bringing that up, but I feel you left me no choice.

Good to see that Salty isn't yet again living up to his reputation as belittling other people's course choices / university choices because they don't fit into his model of thinking. Oh no, not him :)

The bursary threshold is here:

http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/scottish_inside/ysb.htm

It confirms that I am due £744. It's strange cause although my single parents income has been rising steadily (damn their upward mobility) I received first year £1300, second year £1800 and third year £744.

Still got to top on the travel expenses, which I think were about £500 for me but probably on the way down because parent is earning more.

I want more free money sad.gif