Who's Going To Uni?

We should also point out that it has 2,564 seats for 23,000 students.

I want to know who counted the chairs in the library. And how they decided how many people fit in the booths on level 3. Really.

Meaning you're fucked at exam times, even Theology on the top floor is filled by 10.

Get up earlier. There are other libraries throughout the University anyway. The Adam Smith one is quite good and there's usually space as few people think to go there.

Maybe the quality of service doesn't matter when your getting educated for free, but when your paying a substantial amount of money you expect good service.

Erm, the quality of service doesn't matter because the vast majority of students don't start their courses until September 26th.

But you're right, they really should have 11 extra pointless hours opening time for a currently deserted library to avoid being marked down on your cretinous league table.

Edited by vikingTON

I thought it was for the easy money. And keeping it real with the teenagers.

I'm down with the kids B-)

Edited by Gaz

So avoiding the crap formatting that P&B now does when you quote, if you haven't had your award notice (like myself) but have a late start date (like myself) then you should wait impatiently at the incompetence of SAAS (like myself).

If it's something else then phoning is the only way, they claim to be still working only on e-mails received on July 5th. Not joking. wacko.gif

To be fair, it's an organisation that gives us lots of money and expects nothing in return.

For that, I'll tolerate shit service!

Get up earlier. There are other libraries throughout the University anyway. The Adam Smith one is quite good and there's usually space as few people think to go there.

You know how I feel about going in before noon.

The Adam Smith also closes at five. I'm tired of the lottery anyway, I just stay in Paisley now.

Erm, the quality of service doesn't matter because the vast majority of students don't start their courses until September 26th.

But you're right, they really should have 11 extra pointless hours opening time for a currently deserted library to avoid being marked down on your cretinous league table.

Good luck getting into the uni on the 26th, I think you'll find it's closed that day.

Jesus wept all this over one person having never heard of 3rd year being referred to as junior honours! It's like an academic wilie measuring contest in here "well my library is bigger than your library"

Even during term time, your library is only open 14 hours weekdays, is it not? And during the weekends that drops to 12 and 10 hours. The lack of an early start is less of an issue, but you'd be surprised how busy the Glasgow Uni library is, even at 1-2am.

Jesus wept all this over one person having never heard of 3rd year being referred to as junior honours! It's like an academic wilie measuring contest in here "well my library is bigger than your library"

No, now it's that.

Before it was "my library is open longer than your library".

And FWIW, Glasgow at the moment is a fucking horrible university with a poisonous atmosphere, no money, too many students and a Principal seemingly hated by everyone.

But it's still better than Strathclyde tongue.gif

No, now it's that.

Before it was "my library is open longer than your library".

And FWIW, Glasgow at the moment is a fucking horrible university with a poisonous atmosphere, no money, too many students and a Principal seemingly hated by everyone.

Strathclyde university keeps a roof over my head so I really couldn't care less :P

The people who are just about to start Uni are going to have a fucking warped idea of what the majority of students are like if they read this thread.

I didn't even go into the Library until third year, and I still have no idea what it's opening times are, and I doubt I ever will.

I went in for a bit in second year I think, and I had induction class thingies in there in first year. It took me a year and a half to realise that it had more than one floor. I've done a degree and a postgrad course there, and I also have no idea. Oh, and apparently its been renovated recently too, although I have no idea what its like.

Poisonous atmosphere? It will take more than a handful of lefty commuswastikas in the Free Hetherington to create a poisonous atmosphere. The no money thing isn't a Glasgow exclusive phenomenon. The only impact the Law School seems to have faced is that they're no longer printing out the course guides for people. Too many students, by miles, yeah, but I'd imagine other Unis are the same. As for the Principal, he's probably the only guy who gives Nick Clegg a run for his money in the "unjustifiably hated" box.

:lol::D

So, those who are taking courses other than undergrad should be disadvantaged because their courses run throughout the year? I would be disappointed if a university viewed any library opening hours as "pointless."

If the university is prepared to offer courses and take fees over a 12 month duration, they should be prepared to provide the same facilities as a student on the traditional calendar. After all they are being imbursed for the privilege.

Also, Having been in Glasgow library recently at 11pm I can tell it was anything other than deserted, but don't let the facts get in the way.

As for Supras disappointment at the number of seats, try the Strath Library for a laugh, less than half the size and no good views of the city.

Edited by barrysnotter

Poisonous atmosphere? It will take more than a handful of lefty commuswastikas in the Free Hetherington to create a poisonous atmosphere. The no money thing isn't a Glasgow exclusive phenomenon. The only impact the Law School seems to have faced is that they're no longer printing out the course guides for people. Too many students, by miles, yeah, but I'd imagine other Unis are the same. As for the Principal, he's probably the only guy who gives Nick Clegg a run for his money in the "unjustifiably hated" box.

This is true, our departmental travel budget has been slashed right down. The total available to the whole department now is less than I have personally claimed (from the department and other sources) in the last 4 years. sad.gif

The people who are just about to start Uni are going to have a fucking warped idea of what the majority of students are like if they read this thread.

I didn't even go into the Library until third year, and I still have no idea what it's opening times are, and I doubt I ever will.

I can't maintain my concentration in my flat so I do all my studying and coursework in the library.

This thread isn't very representative though as you say.

I went in for a bit in second year I think, and I had induction class thingies in there in first year. It took me a year and a half to realise that it had more than one floor. I've done a degree and a postgrad course there, and I also have no idea. Oh, and apparently its been renovated recently too, although I have no idea what its like.

I only found out that there were second and third floors at the end of second year in 2009. In my third year (09-10) it was closed completely as it was getting done up, but it reopened in summer 2010. It's actually a cracking library now - I spent huge amounts of time in there in fourth year. Very clean, tidy and spacious.

What course do you do?

I know Law's atypical and for Politics (my joint honours subject) purposes I've only used the library 3 or 4 times a year, but most of the people on my course will use the library as a default destination when there's no lecture or tutorial on and they're in Uni that day. Occasionally we'll divert to the Union if there's no deadlines coming up but even if we're not doing work, it's sort of just the done thing that you go to the library's lower levels and just sit about, occasionally doing some work.

Oh, it's nice!

I tell a lie, I'd been in once in first year, I was chumming a flatmate down, she wanted to borrow a DVD.

Other than that, I've only been in post-refurb and it's a swanky building. There's loads of wee meeting rooms, the only problem is that they've got wee electronic diary things on the outside so that you can book them, and no more than half work at any one time.

I've still never taken out a book from the library. It looks confusing and overly risky for my liking. I'll just read what I need to while I'm there, and if looks roughly like what I was hoping for, reference it anyway and assume it backs up my point.

I tried all day to get throught to SAAS for my son and never even got put on hold just a message saying try later <_<

In what is a much more useful discussion that this junior honours or library crap. Eevery fucking year I have to deal with SAAS due a very unfortunately timed change in circumestances which has resulted in various estimates and subsequent verifications needing to be done. This happened before 1st year, and I'm still having to deal with extra paperwork this year (3rd) as a result.

I have never met an organisation which works more slowly than SAAS - could easily spend an hour on hold to them, but its the response times for email and mail that are just apalling. Accprding to their Application processing page, they are currently working on emails recieved on the 5th of July and mail recieved on the 29th of June. ITS NEARLY FUCKING SEPTEMBER.mad.gif

When you do get through on the phone, it does get sorted out remarkably fast though - I think I'm going to have to phone them, because I posted an estimate to them they asked for last week. I cannot survive on minimum loan until December.

So, those who are taking courses other than undergrad should be disadvantaged because their courses run throughout the year? I would be disappointed if a university viewed any library opening hours as "pointless."

Also, Having been in Glasgow library recently at 11pm I can tell it was anything other than deserted, but don't let the facts get in the way.

Having been in Strathclyde's library on Friday and yesterday i can tell you it was almost entirely deserted, as an indicator the main computer labs which are normally 70% full or so at a respectable afternoon hour were comfortably less then 5% occupied.

There's a very straightforward way around such ghastly restrictions which I found: what you do is lend or copy the books or materials required for your work, which can then be used at any hour of the day you want. I'm sure it will suffice even the most unsociable students for a month, that is, if they can't just use the regular opening hours like anyone else would.

Edited by vikingTON