Who's Going To Uni?

I've never heard the term Junior Honours either. And I have absolutely no idea what percentage of my final degree classification third year will make up either, which is a little worrying given I start it in a fortnight. Should probably look that up.

I've got no idea what percentage third year makes either, and I've just finished it. I wouldn't worry about it...

I'm sorry to hear you've had health problems, but you're coming across as a bit of a dick here, especially with your sniffing about the arts.

Do you think so? I think others are coming across as right cunts ;)

Thank you. It's clearly a term made up by Glasgow Uni's newbies to make third year seem more important than it is.

Er yeah, that will be why Aberdeen, Edinburgh and St Andrews all style the first of two years of honours as junior honours then? It's so *clearly* just been made up by the University that the original person who mentioned it doesn't even go to, eh?

Could the fact I did science degrees (BSc hons) have something to do with it then... :1eye

Edinburgh and Glasgow have 2 years of honours classes in the sciences and the 3rd year is referred to in both as the junior honours year.

Well, if you get a first, thats better than a 2:1, which is better than a 2:2.

:lol:

I don't have an arts degree :1eye

Case in point.

I've never experienced the term "junior honours". It must be some new age shit, make folk think that their subjects are important and all that....... It appears to be working for Ad Lib anyway.

Well they sort of are important because they count towards the final degree classification.

Thank you. It's clearly a term made up by Glasgow Uni's newbies to make third year seem more important than it is.

And what does my degree classification mean anyway Gaz, wow that I have had two strokes and have a terrible memory... oh dear! Despite that I have three degrees, so I couldn't care that you got a degree which required 3% more than I got in whatever piss easy arts course you took.

I wouldn't do an arts degree if you paid me, life is too short.

Oh, and I did my masters at Napier, the best uni for what I did...

"Junior Honours is an integral part of almost every 4-year LLB in Scotland, I'm going to guess most 4-year MAs, and quite possibly other qualifications too." - Could the fact I did science degrees (BSc hons) have something to do with it then... :1eye

EDIT: The italics show terms which translate as "I haven't a fucking clue".

Many uni's use this term. Not just Glasgow.

It doesn't really mean anything better or any worse than any other 3rd year. The fact that you are actually trying to read something into this to try and belittle Glasgow Uni, just because you haven't heard of it suggests you must be an incredibly pathetic human being.

Your parents have my sympathy.

I don't have an arts degree :1eye

Don't care. I knew it was something irrelevant, turns out it's maths - a degree which serves little or no practical use, and now you've changed to teaching... wow that degree was worthwhile, couldn't get a job so took the last resort... :lol: :lol:

PS Not a slant on actual teachers, it just suits my argument against that clown!

By the way, have your three degrees helped you in your job dealing with the licensing of tattoo parlours?

Yes actually, you need my degree to do the job. After the probationary year it pays pretty fucking well! :rolleyes:

Given we control about every aspect of daily life, it's far more important than just licensing.

Edinburgh and Glasgow have 2 years of honours classes in the sciences and the 3rd year is referred to in both as the junior honours year.

Funny how numerous people have said they've never heard of it in their lives...

Case in point.

What case, what point? It didn't help his "I got a grade in four years, in a one-dimensional subject,which you missed by 3%; when you had law, chemistry, physics, biology and toxicology, to learn in two" argument.

Well they sort of are important because they count towards the final degree classification.

He means your subject is worthless, try and get a job with your degree. Actually with the degree, not into a graduate program with Lidl... an actual job directly related to the degree. Bet you can't! :rolleyes:

Don't care. I knew it was something irrelevant, turns out it's maths - a degree which serves little or no practical use, and now you've changed to teaching... wow that degree was worthwhile, couldn't get a job so took the last resort... :lol: :lol:

PS Not a slant on actual teachers, it just suits my argument against that clown!

Swing and a miss, chum. It's been my intention for years to go into teaching (hence why I've been tutoring for six years), but doing the joint degree (my degree isn't in maths, coincidentally, there's another miss) gave my studies a bit of variety.

Yes actually, you need my degree to do the job. After the probationary year it pays pretty fucking well! :rolleyes:

Given we control about every aspect of daily life, it's far more important than just licensing.

Bully for you!

What about the folk who have heard of it?

What case, what point? It didn't help his "I got a grade in four years, in a one-dimensional subject,which you missed by 3%; when you had law, chemistry, physics, biology and toxicology, to learn in two" argument.

Oh dear, another miss! I don't have a one-dimensional degree, I did joint honours.

Which of course definitely means that it's a completely fabricated reference that serves no purpose whatsoever. Oh wait. No it doesn't. At all.

Relevance < 0. The case in point is that it's a perfectly common to refer to the first of 2 years of honours as "junior honours". Universal? No, but no one ever said it was. Further, it's not even an arts exclusive phenomenon. It's used at several Universities to refer to science, maths, law AND arts degrees where there is more than one year of honours study. So your attempts at mockery of the term is pretty pathetic.

He means your subject is worthless, try and get a job with your degree. Actually with the degree, not into a graduate program with Lidl... an actual job directly related to the degree. Bet you can't! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I'm sure barrysnotter, who if my memory serves has just finished an LLM (clue, it means master of laws), thinks that my course, er, the LLB (clue, it means bachelor of laws) is "worthless".

Clown.

Many uni's use this term. Not just Glasgow.

It doesn't really mean anything better or any worse than any other 3rd year. The fact that you are actually trying to read something into this to try and belittle Glasgow Uni, just because you haven't heard of it suggests you must be an incredibly pathetic human being.

Your parents have my sympathy.

Interesting... trying to belittle Glasgow Uni, okay... laughing at a ridiculous term, which turns out was from Edinburgh Uni (if you actually read the thread) does not "belittle" something! It was a joke at the modern students/professors who obviously came up with the term fairly recently!

Would making a joke about "Henman Hill" (a cringeworthy term) "belittle" Wimbledon? :rolleyes:

Do you think so? I think others are coming across as right cunts ;)

I'm well aware I'm coming across as a total c**t, but it annoys me when others sneer at someone else's career choice, or degree choice, or University choice, and Salty has previous for slagging off other people's universities / degrees because they don't fit into the same model as Strathclyde's.

Oh yeah, I'm sure barrysnotter, who if my memory serves has just finished an LLM (clue, it means master of laws), thinks that my course, er, the LLB (clue, it means bachelor of laws) is "worthless".

Clown.

That part I'll take back, I confused the degree you were doing with somebody else.

A law degree does not come into this category.

Maths - little or no practical use??? laugh.gif

Oh, and if your degree is so good, why did you need 3? Three degrees? Should you not have a PhD by now?

I'm well aware I'm coming across as a total c**t, but it annoys me when others sneer at someone else's career choice, or degree choice, or University choice, and Salty has previous for slagging off other people's universities / degrees because they don't fit into the same model as Strathclyde's.

Hate to use this form of argument, but you did EVERY one of those things when all I had done was make a joke about "junior honours" which is a daft term which I (and many others, including someone who went to Glasgow) have never heard before. I read the Glasgow prospectus (and had a course there on my SAAS form, admittedly I rejected it in favour of Strathclyde as I got unconditionals for every course I applied for) and never saw any mention of this term.

The marking thing was never slagging off, it just seemed ridiculous (and unfair) that a uni could use a different marking scheme (the 84(?)%) for a first than every uni in the country.

Anyway this is an argument between me, you and for some reason Ad Lib who obviously has nothing better to do... and it's not helping the people who want advice about uni, etc. So if you want to have any further "debate" take it to PM, as I have work to do for tomorrow.

Hate to use this form of argument, but you did EVERY one of those things when all I had done was make a joke about "junior honours" which is a daft term which I (and many others, including someone who went to Glasgow) have never heard before. I read the Glasgow prospectus (and had a course there on my SAAS form, admittedly I rejected it in favour of Strathclyde as I got unconditionals for every course I applied for) and never saw any mention of this term.

The marking thing was never slagging off, it just seemed ridiculous (and unfair) that a uni could use a different marking scheme (the 84(?)%) for a first than every uni in the country.

Anyway this is an argument between me, you and for some reason Ad Lib who obviously has nothing better to do... and it's not helping the people who want advice about uni, etc. So if you want to have any further "debate" take it to PM, as I have work to do for tomorrow.

I did every one of those things solely in response to what I perceived (not unreasonably, I think) as you having yet another pop at someone's university / choice of course.

Beyond that, I don't give a shit what people study, or where, or how long it takes them, as long as they're enjoying themselves, given that I see education as one of the finest things humanity has ever developed.

EDIT: But fair enough, I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Gaz