Who's Going To Uni?

I just received an email from my advisor of studies today saying I'd been awarded the Politics 2A (History of Political Thought) class prize. :D

Never heard of a class prize, over three degrees... :lol:

A prize for best in the entire year at graduation aye, but not for doing well at one class... I wants me Food Hygiene and Meat Inspection (the most poorly worded subject ever!) one!

Never heard of a class prize, over three degrees... :lol:

A prize for best in the entire year at graduation aye, but not for doing well at one class... I wants me Food Hygiene and Meat Inspection (the most poorly worded subject ever!) one!

We had class prizes at our uni, also, other courses that I wasn't in seemed to have them.

I just received an email from my advisor of studies today saying I'd been awarded the Politics 2A (History of Political Thought) class prize. :D

Did it tell you what the prize was?

I won prizes for Maths in 1st and 2nd year, and they were book vouchers to the value of £25 and £50 respectively.

Did it tell you what the prize was?

I won prizes for Maths in 1st and 2nd year, and they were book vouchers to the value of £25 and £50 respectively.

I opened the letter (as instructed - Ad Lib is in Aberdeen) and the prize is £25 cash (in the form of a cheque).

Curiously, the printed name below the signature does not match the signature.

My graduation was this morning, but it all felt very strange and I still can't quite believe that I'm actually finished. Enjoyed the experience though, even if the ceremony dragged on a bit.

I had some good news recently too. The Carnegie Trust offered me a scholarship for my PhD which means I will now be earning around £1500 more each year along with other perks including a travel allowance which will let me claim for travelling from home. I don't know too much about it, but I was encouraged to apply for it by the guy who will be my PhD tutor, and it is apparently pretty prestigious, so I'm delighted.

I also received two emails telling me that I had won prizes from Mercer and the Royal Statistical Society as the best graduate in 2010/11, and that Mercer would be inviting me for a celebratory lunch. I'm pretty chuffed with all that, although I'll be more chuffed if the prizes come in the form of nice cheques rather than something else :P .

My graduation was this morning, but it all felt very strange and I still can't quite believe that I'm actually finished. Enjoyed the experience though, even if the ceremony dragged on a bit.

I had some good news recently too. The Carnegie Trust offered me a scholarship for my PhD which means I will now be earning around £1500 more each year along with other perks including a travel allowance which will let me claim for travelling from home. I don't know too much about it, but I was encouraged to apply for it by the guy who will be my PhD tutor, and it is apparently pretty prestigious, so I'm delighted.

I also received two emails telling me that I had won prizes from Mercer and the Royal Statistical Society as the best graduate in 2010/11, and that Mercer would be inviting me for a celebratory lunch. I'm pretty chuffed with all that, although I'll be more chuffed if the prizes come in the form of nice cheques rather than something else :P .

Christ, you are more of a drain on the uni than I am. But wouldn't you have got travel expenses even as an undergrad?

But anyway : lol

Christ, you are more of a drain on the uni than I am. But wouldn't you have got travel expenses even as an undergrad?

But anyway : lol

I could never get travelling expenses back because my "parental contribution" was too high. I'm sure there could have been a way around it, but I never bothered trying. I've made my way through uni debt free and won't be contributing to the taxpayer for at least another three and a half years. It's great that students from all over the rest of the UK will be funding these sorts of freebies for us.

I think my scholarship comes from outside the uni though, so they'll be pretty happy that I've got that one because it allows them to have an extra PhD student whilst paying out the same amount.

• 1 month later...

I thought this link might be useful to a few on here. It's a guide to student accounts and what's on offer from the various different banks for the coming academic year. Hope it's of some use to you.

I remember in first year I got a NatWest account, free £60... withdrawn, account closed. :D

RBS and my still after 7 years interest free credit card FTW!

• 2 weeks later...

In the meantime, it may be helpful to know in advance that two courses noted below are no longer available in session 2011/12 owing to staff changes:

• Internationalisation and International Market Entry
  • International Strategy

I'm pretty sure the "staff changes" will be pushing out that cool Chilean guy who I was going to do my dissertation with. They've also to migrate most of my 4th year courses to third year. I was all for cuts until they started to affect me. I'm off to join those c***s in the Hetherington.

But it's quite surprising that "MyCampus" manages to be worse than the horrific "Websurf". You can't enroll, they have my degree as "Business Economics" for some reason and in a lame and pointless attempt to affiliate with online shopping you add your courses to a basket. The entire system is also difficult to navigate and annoying to look at.

But at least uni starts incredibly late for some reason (probably lack of money).

I've sorted out my classes, and Fourth Year is shaping up to be a piss-take. In the first semester I am in for two hours on Wednesday morning and two on Thursday afternoon. The rest of the week is free. Second semester is slightly busier but I still have Mondays and Fridays off. Even with a dissertation to do this is fantastic.

I have a four-day weekend every week until the end of year exams. :D

Edited by vikingTON

I've sorted out my classes, and Fourth Year is shaping up to be a piss-take. In the first semester I am in for two hours on Wednesay morning and two on Thursday afternoon. The rest of the week is free. Second semester is slightly busier but I still have Mondays and Fridays off. Even with a dissertation to do this is fantastic.

I have a four-day weekend every week until the end of year exams. :D

I was in for three hours on a Friday in fourth year. Six day weekend!