Who's Going To Uni?

The History and Politics stuff is good content, the lecturers are hit and miss IMO. Psychology and sociology are a bit more complex when giving out marks but the principal two for me were very straightforward: one essay per semester, plus tutorial input, plus final exam. The options open out a bit in second year, I'm looking at 16th Century Europe and International conflict (politics) among others for my two courses. For those subjects it depends on what interests you. Glasgow is said to have more medieval options in history whereas Edinburgh did have an Ancient History course on offer last year IIRC. If it weren't for me deciding to stay at home I'd probably be doing that one.

I'm certainly not an able sportsman so I can't really comment on that at all.

Edited by vikingTON

The History and Politics stuff is good content, the lecturers are hit and miss IMO. Psychology and sociology are a bit more complex when giving out marks but the principal two for me were very straightforward: one essay per semester, plus tutorial input, plus final exam. The options open out a bit in second year, I'm looking at 16th Century Europe and International conflict (politics) among others for my two courses. For those subjects it depends on what interests you. Glasgow is said to have more medieval options in history whereas Edinburgh did have an Ancient History course on offer last year IIRC. If it weren't for me deciding to stay at home I'd probably be doing that one.

I'm certainly not an able sportsman so I can't really comment on that at all.

I would be entering the business school so I don't think I would be able to do history (but I'm pretty sure you can do business with history in Glasgow). Do you stay in Greenock? How long does it take you to get there and are you still able to participate in "university life"?

This means you're middle class.

No it doesn't. <_<

I've not done a thing tbh. Between working and getting drunk I don't seem to have much time to prepare. What about you?

I've started to clear stuff out my room for throwing out, making it easier to find the stuff I DO want to take. I also have all the freshers/matric stuff lying about the floor, and I've been trying to sort that stuff together as well. It's only just struck me that I'm moving out a week on Saturday. Scary stuff. :P

Do you stay in Greenock? How long does it take you to get there and are you still able to participate in "university life"?

Yes, a fast train means I can fall out of my house and be at uni in 40 mins, but then again I do stay directly across the street from a station.

I'm not sure what university life means exactly. I used to get regularly pissed at the 12 hour Tuesdays until work intervened: that shouldn't happen as often this year fingers crossed. I didn't really spend much time in Glasgow otherwise, cash is always tight and almost all of my mates stay in Greenock too. We went to the Christmas all-nighter in the Union and it was a good night.

I'll need to find someone with a flat up there so I can go out at weekends...

I'll need to find someone with a flat up there so I can go out at weekends...

You should, man. I stayed at Sick Mick's flat and went out to Firewater on Sauchiehall St. You'd like it there, I reckon.

You should, man. I stayed at Sick Mick's flat and went out to Firewater on Sauchiehall St. You'd like it there, I reckon.

I think you told me what Firewater music was like and if you did, I'd rather insert kebab skewers into my kidneys.

Think of the money you'll have to get steemboats with during freshers week though. There's always a brightside.

I'll not be moving in until Saturday night as I'll be at the football during the day so if I start slavering pish as soon as I move in blame the drink. :P

I don't have a lot of money saved though. :( I spent it all on my heap of junk car, Sasha.

That said I wouldn't have gone to Tesco/Asda very often without her and I've just bought cheap drink as and when I saw it. Got a bottle of 1litre bottle of Gin for £6.50 while I was getting petrol the other night. :P

I've started to clear stuff out my room for throwing out, making it easier to find the stuff I DO want to take. I also have all the freshers/matric stuff lying about the floor, and I've been trying to sort that stuff together as well.

haha, exactly the same here. I've even gutted my wardrobe which I don't think I've seen the floor of for 4 years. :o

I think you told me what Firewater music was like and if you did, I'd rather insert kebab skewers into my kidneys.

Everything from Johnny Cash to the Libertines etc? Excellent for a night out!

Cheers for that.

I have to say I'm confused as f**k now, enrollment day is the 14th, why do we need to be there a week before Threshers week I wonder? I asked the guy on the phone from the accomodation department and he insisted that you can arrive between the 10th and the 14th, enrollment is the 14th and Threshers week starts that night. I'm starting to doubt all the information he's told me is true.

What course you doing btw, and did you opt for the halls in the end?

I've to go in on the 7th for an induction week, which I'm guessing includes enrollment.

I'm doing social sciences. Nah didn't go for the halls, too expensive especially when I can get a train ticket for £50 a month, plus it would dig into my partying money :lol:

I'll need to find someone living in the halls so I can crash there after a night out in Glasgow, it's £40 for a taxi from Glasgow to Larkhall!

What course is it you're doing?

I can't fuckin' wait to start :D

I'll investigate tommorow.

i'm doing marketing and tourism, although I hope you can change course because I'm having second thoughts about that.

The halls should be good, La-Layenda said the halls are 3 male, 3 female, one of whom is foreign exchange and one of whom is a mature student (I'm 20 in October, maybe that's me). Should be nice living with 3 women cooking my dinner and trying to improve me.

Do social sciences, all the hot girls do social sciences ;)

I'm a wee bit worried about freshers, I'm only 17(18 in December), I do look older though I'm just a bit panicky that they'll be quite strict since it's all students going so they'll know a lot of younger folk will be there.

Funny that I went to the open day and the marketing department seemed to be linked with the fashion department which I'm obviously not interested in, but the burds were fooking quality. I'm guessing one or 2 blokes over the years have taken that course for the wrong reasons.

Wouldn't have thought the age thing would be too much of an issue, is it not being able to buy bevvy you're worrying about? If so just get someone to buy it for you, do you know anyone else going to Caley and the threshers night?

A Hibee in fashion :D

I thought you had to be 18 to get into most of the events too?

Aye, I've got about 10 mates going to Caley one of whom is doing the same course as me.

You thought about fake i.d?

I've got one, but I've never tried it in Glasgow, it works at Hamilton Palace but that's a shitehole so I dunno. I think I'll be alright, I hope :lol: