Who's Going To Uni?

• 1 month later...

Been following this story about the guy going missing on Friday night after he was at Dusk. Saying he was last seen at the Causewayhead Roundabout. I've walked down there a lot day time and its very easy to get lost despite being right by the Uni. Very sad.

Edited by JamboMikey

Been following this story about the guy going missing on Friday night after he was at Dusk. Saying he was last seen at the Causewayhead Roundabout. I've walked down there a lot day time and its very easy to get lost despite being right by the Uni. Very sad.

?

Link? Btw, seriously?

Edited to add, found the story. Nobody I know!

Edited by xbl

Not if you're right at the roundabout but if you walk up towards the Wallace monument there's nothing about. If its dark and you've had a bevvy it would be easy to get lost.

Ah, see what you mean, I was thinking of Causeway heid itself.

Was meant to be the deadline for exam results to be returned today. I didn't receive my results. The Business School are a shambles - they were also a week or two late in releasing the assignment question and also in marking the assignment. For once, the Law School released my results on time which was a pleasant surprise.

When I was at Uni, the main sport for students seemed to be Rugby, not just for playing but watching too. Football was very rarely mentioned! This always surprised me, is this still the case today? Or is it even a case?

I left almost 7 years ago but Aberdeen Uni students generally never cared much about rugby over all the other sports available imo. Most just knew them as the guys who turned up to the pub in blue shirts with the yellow sports tie thinking it would get them to the bar quicker. How wrong they were and most just saw them as arseholes. Hard to argue with imo.

I got awarded 'colours' for being a caving club captain for a couple of years but never took the tie, for obvious reasons.

Was meant to be the deadline for exam results to be returned today. I didn't receive my results. The Business School are a shambles - they were also a week or two late in releasing the assignment question and also in marking the assignment. For once, the Law School released my results on time which was a pleasant surprise.

Assuming you're a first year at Glasgow?

Yeah the business school for the first semester has been a total joke.

laugh.gif

If you think it's been bad so far please significantly lower your expectations.

I'm expecting MyCampus to get a lot worse year on year for at least the next 4 years.

Although to be fair to the Business School it makes an absolute fortune for the University, much more than any other department. And they didn't get that through caring about undergraduates.

The business school at Caley has had a bit of a nightmare this year, we were told that we would have the results back from our three modules within three weeks. It ended up taking nearly eight weeks for them all to come through. I'm not that bothered to be honest, but they couldn't be arsed to let us know until the end of last week when to expect them.

I'm on course to achieve an overall 2:1 though, so fairly happy.

Writing opening e-mails to potential research advisors is serious business. Not really expecting to get acceptance and/or funding for next academic year (as I don't formally complete my Masters until May) but I guess it can't hurt to go through the process, organise my thinking and see what happens.

Could always do a relevant language course in the down-time.

Question regarding SAAS:

Currently, my sister gets quite a lot of money from SAAS through bursaries etc. She'll be going into 4th year and I'll (hopefully) be going into 1st year in September. Are we likely to lose out this year as both are applying for SAAS? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance, etc.

Is 26 too old for me to go to uni? I fancy a change

Nope, I went when I was 25, albeit I'd been saving for a good few years with the express intention of doing it, so it wasn't an impulse thing.

1359018521[/url]' post='7011893']

No. I went back to college at 30, started uni at 31.

1359021559[/url]' post='7011988']

Nope, I went when I was 25, albeit I'd been saving for a good few years with the express intention of doing it, so it wasn't an impulse thing.

My problem was I threw myself into the deep end at such a young age, went to college at 18 then again at 20 I learned nothing either time and just wanted to get wasted. I have a trade now as a bricky so would fancy doing civil engineering or surveying as I don't wish to be stuck doing it in later life, also I have never really challenged my brain ever in my life. My only concern would be what job prospects would be there waiting for me after, also I am in Australia now so would probably rather do it all here as the opportunities will be better than back home, and the weather s better also.

also I am in Australia now so would probably rather do it all here as the opportunities will be better than back home, and the weather s better also.

Unless you are a citizen or a permanent resident you'll have to pay the foreign student fees in Australia, which is a lot!

Question regarding SAAS:

Currently, my sister gets quite a lot of money from SAAS through bursaries etc. She'll be going into 4th year and I'll (hopefully) be going into 1st year in September. Are we likely to lose out this year as both are applying for SAAS? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance, etc.

I don't think so, I thought when there were multiple siblings at uni they actually expected the parents to provide less support to each wean.

Although in 4th year you get a bit less anyway for some reason.

My problem was I threw myself into the deep end at such a young age, went to college at 18 then again at 20 I learned nothing either time and just wanted to get wasted. I have a trade now as a bricky so would fancy doing civil engineering or surveying as I don't wish to be stuck doing it in later life, also I have never really challenged my brain ever in my life. My only concern would be what job prospects would be there waiting for me after, also I am in Australia now so would probably rather do it all here as the opportunities will be better than back home, and the weather s better also.

I'm on a surveying course just now. I'm not actually convinced we are learning any more than the very basics. I think with this type I course, having experience in the field previously is very helpful, since I'll effectively find a job and will learn everything out in practice anyway. It's essentially just to get a university degree which helps get you in the door.

There's about half the guys on my course doing it part time, or having done down thing similar at college or in the field and thy know a lot more than I do about the stud use in practice. The only real advantage I've got is I'm probably more academic still, so I'm getting better marks in my exams and courseworks say, simply because I don't know any other way other than the way I've been taught. Which is what's marked.

I'd say go for it, you're never too old I don't think, but the sooner you do it the better, especially in Australia, you're right in saying you'll get a job easier that's for sure.