Who's Going To Uni?

A BA in Social Sciences.

Ah ok. Caledonian? Know a few folk that did that degree there

Jobs wise it's obviously not a very specific degree so general graduate schemes, teaching etc are common routes to go down.

Obviously different options depending on what you focus on with your degree. I assume you brake off and focus on certain subjects later on in the course?

Ah ok. Caledonian? Know a few folk that did that degree there

Jobs wise it's obviously not a very specific degree so general graduate schemes, teaching etc are common routes to go down.

Obviously different options depending on what you focus on with your degree. I assume you brake off and focus on certain subjects later on in the course?

It's through Open University. Last year focused on sociology and this year was criminology.

Anonymised?

Each university does it differently. I know of one that just uses software to generate the result. 

We don't. We discuss each student individually - average grades, 'trend', work rate and so on. To give an example, let's say the student averages 69%. You need 70% for a 1st class degree. As a Board we'll discuss the student and make a call - first or second. In cases like that we'll almost always give the student the 1st. 

Lower down the scale can be different. Someone on, say, 49% average is looking at a 3rd class degree. The discussion might be (and we had this once) that the student didn't engage, didn't contribute in classes and so on and so he stayed at 3rd. No 2:2 for him.

This is why I always say on here - go to lectures. Talk to lecturers. Engage. Yes, you might skate by skipping the classes and just learning the textbook. But students that do that never do as well as the others. 

Last exam of 2nd year today. Is it next year when things start getting serious?

Aye.

Turns out I miscalculated my GPA; got a B+ in my last exam, and averaging the grades over third year and fourth year, I have a provisional GPA of 3.4.

A bit disappointed; I only got a B for my dissertation, which counted twice in the calculation since it was a double module. I think that's the one which fucked me.

In the grand scheme of things, it seems a GPA of 3.4 is roughly a B+ (a good upper second class), what are the chances of postgraduate admission with a degree like that?

All depends on the postgrad itself. Different courses have varying numbers of applications so what is enough for one isn't necessarily enough for another.

A 'B' is decent in a dissertation. I think I'd cry sweet tears of joy if I were to score that in mine

• 2 weeks later...

I know my exams have been marked as the last one i did sent out a collation and breakdown of all the scores and scores for each question.

Exam board doesn't meet til Wednesday or Thursday though so instead of getting results one by one like in previous years, we'll apparently get it all at once with our classification...

So unbelievably nervous about it!

I know my exams have been marked as the last one i did sent out a collation and breakdown of all the scores and scores for each question.

Exam board doesn't meet til Wednesday or Thursday though so instead of getting results one by one like in previous years, we'll apparently get it all at once with our classification...

So unbelievably nervous about it!

We got certain initial marks back and we're waiting on full marks plus our exam and dissertation marks today. They then meet on Monday for classification and we get email/letters sent out, but it's easy to work out our classification by our results.