Who's Going To Uni?

On 8/2/2016 at 13:44, gc_smfc said:

I've applied to go back to retrain after getting made redundant with a masters in Quantity Surveying at the big C.

Going to be a bit of a culture shock going from the offshore industry back into education. Worst of all I'll have to find a part time job.

Keep an eye open on the University's job pages. If you like work that's a total skive, with almost no responsibility: part time admin work at a University is what you want.

1 hour ago, craigiemack said:

Got into Dundee to do English and History, feart about the amount of goons I'll get on my courses but thoroughly exited to start using Dundee tinder

I live near the uni and there's just a bunch of munters on it

I graduated last year and got myself a job last week. They are asking for a reference from my current employer and from my uni. Does anyone know who at uni I should be contacting?

Your project supervisor, your year leader, programme leader, anyone who you've been in contact the most with really.

On 10 August 2016 at 01:30, Father Dougal McGuire said:

I graduated last year and got myself a job last week. They are asking for a reference from my current employer and from my uni. Does anyone know who at uni I should be contacting?

You are the brainbox with the degree.. You are asking us dafties!

(maybe someone from the admin dept at your uni can do it)

On 10 August 2016 at 01:30, Father Dougal McGuire said:

I used my dissertation supervisor. As Sweeper says it's really anyone who you know well enough that would give you a good reference.

What is a degree for? http://thebackbencher.co.uk/the-great-university-illusion/

Also, in the Observer today, a quarter of 2004 graduates are earning £20,000 a year. The median salary for the class of 2004 is £31,000.

I find the idea that a degree is a method of signalling to prospective employers interesting. Certainly when I worked for a large financial company with a big graduate programme they didn't seem to focus on your degree - we had English Literature and Law graduates working in the Technology division. Also, when my dad ran his own business he said he didn't really look at what degree people had when recruiting graduates. They are going to learn on the job in most cases anyway.

I graduated in2002 and have never worked anywhere approaching the subject of my degree.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What is a degree for? http://thebackbencher.co.uk/the-great-university-illusion/

Also, in the Observer today, a quarter of 2004 graduates are earning £20,000 a year. The median salary for the class of 2004 is £31,000.

I find the idea that a degree is a method of signalling to prospective employers interesting. Certainly when I worked for a large financial company with a big graduate programme they didn't seem to focus on your degree - we had English Literature and Law graduates working in the Technology division. Also, when my dad ran his own business he said he didn't really look at what degree people had when recruiting graduates. They are going to learn on the job in most cases anyway.

I graduated in2002 and have never worked anywhere approaching the subject of my degree.

It's definitely the case that the specific degree doesn't matter too much, it's just a signal that you're bright and can learn. I found it helped in interviews having specific knowledge about business areas that I knew about due to my degree, so I probably seemed more competent than someone asked the same questions who done a history degree, but it definitely wasn't a necessity to have done a management degree to get onto a management graduate programme.

How on earth a graduate from 2004 is still earning £20,000 is beyond me. They should try to go back and get a good graduate programme as it would already be at least 5K higher as the starting salary.