Who's Going To Uni?

41 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It's definitely the case that the specific degree doesn't matter too much, it's just a signal that you're bright and can learn. 

You don't have to be bright to get a degree. Employers like it because it proves you can put a bit of effort in and finish what you start.

I wanted a degree for my own personal bucket list as much as anything and because I was staring down the barrel of a gun with the line of work I was in and most particularly the stress demands on my body.

Uni still shows you are a disciplined individual and those who aren't up to the job will fail along the way so it's always a good thing for employers to see. I'm glad I went back to study, I knew it would be tight financially for a while and I would get lazy but it will be worth it in years to come. Or so I hope.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

You don't have to be bright to get a degree. Employers like it because it proves you can put a bit of effort in and finish what you start.

I'm only really speaking about a top university degree (and a either a first or 2:1), but whilst some subjects are easier than others, you definitely do need to be bright to even get in to a good university, never mind actually getting the degree.

The cross-over between "being bright" and "working hard" is probably enough for a 2:1. Different fields will claim that their degree is more 'difficult', but other than having an objectively larger workload I'm unconvinced by that argument.

For most professional jobs doing a post-grad now forms part of the entry ticket - getting funding or acceptance at that level without holding a relevant degree is much harder.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I'm only really speaking about a top university degree (and a either a first or 2:1), but whilst some subjects are easier than others, you definitely do need to be bright to even get in to a good university, never mind actually getting the degree.

I disagree. You have to be good at memorising  and regurgitating stuff, but you are rarely challenged to take in and interpret new information. I know total thickos who got firsts at "good" universities but worked very hard and were organised with their time. 

It doesn't surprise me that there are a large number of graduates earning fairly poor salaries.  There are plenty of folks studying and graduating in subjects that are unlikely to lead to high salaries, that's a conscious choice they make.  That's not a criticism, learning should not all be about vocational attainment but equally folk studying subjects that have little employment related benefits or where there is an over abundance of graduates in a particular disciple must accept the reality of that situation.

14 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It doesn't surprise me that there are a large number of graduates earning fairly poor salaries.  There are plenty of folks studying and graduating in subjects that are unlikely to lead to high salaries, that's a conscious choice they make.  That's not a criticism, learning should not all be about vocational attainment but equally folk studying subjects that have little employment related benefits or where there is an over abundance of graduates in a particular disciple must accept the reality of that situation.

You're a good sport going against your pussy-whipped prejudices to explain a fair percentage of the gender earnings gap, Danger. Bravo!

You would have fitted right in.  Obviously not academically.

I remember reading an article written by a guy who went there saying it turned him into a totally spoiled brat with a feeling of entitlement over everyone else just because he went there. I'm pretty sure there will be a number of modest individuals but over all i imagine it to be a snooty w**k fest.

I left school and didn't really know what to do. I don't think I'm particularly academic and certainly didn't stick in at school.

I went to college from school and really enjoyed it, it was very practical and I defnitely learned a lot. I left a few years later with an HND, this and some other bits and pieces I had done were enough to get me into the third year of a degree in Computer Networking.

From a learning point of view, I'd say I learned close to nothing in the course of studying for my degree. A lot of theoretical rubbish and irrelevant modules. Scraped through and was glad to be out of there.

The degree helped me get a job though, I was offered a role the day I sat my final exam. I had also been working in two different part time jobs continiously from near enough the day I left school which gave me a little edge over the other applicants. My last part time job was relevant to my studies and I learned far more there than at university. Many of those on my course had only known studying and were in for a fright.

My choice of study was purely practical as I knew there would be plenty of opportunities in the sector. I've been in this line of work for about 7 years now and although I didn't think my degree furthered my knowledge, it's certainly been of benefit when going for jobs.

Computing is a bit of a weird one, I'd say professional certifications from vendors such as Microsoft or Cisco are of equal importance to prospective employers and definitely of more benefit in terms of knowledge.

Romeo Junior is wanting to go stay in Glasgow Uni digs, even though we are not too far from the uni. I think he want's a bit of freedom and he himself says he want's to "have the student lifestyle" and make new friends.

He's been offered digs in Cairncross house. Does anyone have any info, feedback or experience of this place?

If you could keep your replies to the non, drug and drink, rapey, death type me and Mrs Romeo would appreciate it.

I may regret posting this.

4 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Romeo Junior is wanting to go stay in Glasgow Uni digs, even though we are not too far from the uni. I think he want's a bit of freedom and he himself says he want's to "have the student lifestyle" and make new friends.

He's been offered digs in Cairncross house. Does anyone have any info, feedback or experience of this place?

If you could keep your replies to the non, drug and drink, rapey, death type me and Mrs Romeo would appreciate it.

I may regret posting this.

He obviously just wants to leave home for the bumming, he can't get any with you mooching around.

Cairncross is well known for this sort of activity, he'll have an arse like a hippos yawn by the end of his orientation.

Just now, gavin_3110 said:

He obviously just wants to leave home for the bumming, he can't get any with you mooching around.

Cairncross is well known for this sort of activity, he'll have an arse like a hippos yawn by the end of his orientation.

Cheers for the feedback mate :(

3 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Yup.

Tbf the other houses at Hillhead look better than mine, which is effectively a glorified boarding house.

Hector Boece Court by any chance? I stayed there in first year and also had two other spells over a couple of summers (couple of months each time when I was between flats). I also worked there for a wee bit. The rumour was that the design used was the same as a Swedish women's prison.