Who's Going To Uni?

Ah right. Out of interest what halls are you in? We walked this girl back to posh looking halls across a grassy area, where incidently one of my mates slipped and landed on the deck. ("Penalty!" :lol: ). What halls would they be?

I'm in Ettrick (If you came across the bridge from the union they are straight ahead on the bridge). Not sure, I'd guess at the Lord Home Hall (sits on a hill, i think), but I'm not that great with campus geography, I only go between my halls and where my classes are, the union and the bus stop.

My 'boss' did have a bit of a funny incident once though - when a student had ticked the "Inform next of kin of my whereabouts if they make contact" box :) . Mother: I've been trying to get in touch with my daughter, I've rang her room the last 2 nights and no reply / Assistant Warden: OK, I'll see if she's put in an absence form / Mother: Don't be ridiculous she'd have told us. / Assistant Warden: Yes she's away to Oban for the week. / Mother: Oban? Why on earth has she gone to Oban for a week during term? / Assistant Warden (opening mouth before engaging brain :rolleyes: ): don't know why just says she gone with her boyfriend / (long pause) Mother: What, f*cking BOYFRIEND?

You missed out a comma.

Edited by The Master

At Pollock (U of Edinburgh) - we just ask students to put a docket into the House office (they collect them from a tray). Means they don't get in uber-sh*t if a guest causes trouble etc. Also a form if they go away for a weekend.

My 'boss' did have a bit of a funny incident once though - when a student had ticked the "Inform next of kin of my whereabouts if they make contact" box :) . Mother: I've been trying to get in touch with my daughter, I've rang her room the last 2 nights and no reply / Assistant Warden: OK, I'll see if she's put in an absence form / Mother: Don't be ridiculous she'd have told us. / Assistant Warden: Yes she's away to Oban for the week. / Mother: Oban? Why on earth has she gone to Oban for a week during term? / Assistant Warden (opening mouth before engaging brain :rolleyes: ): don't know why just says she gone with her boyfriend / (long pause) Mother: What f*cking BOYFRIEND?

Think the lesson of that, for both the student and also for us wardens, is - the less information given, the better...

PML

would be good if there was a "dont let next of kin talk to me" box ;)

At Pollock (U of Edinburgh) - we just ask students to put a docket into the House office (they collect them from a tray). Means they don't get in uber-sh*t if a guest causes trouble etc. Also a form if they go away for a weekend.

My 'boss' did have a bit of a funny incident once though - when a student had ticked the "Inform next of kin of my whereabouts if they make contact" box :) . Mother: I've been trying to get in touch with my daughter, I've rang her room the last 2 nights and no reply / Assistant Warden: OK, I'll see if she's put in an absence form / Mother: Don't be ridiculous she'd have told us. / Assistant Warden: Yes she's away to Oban for the week. / Mother: Oban? Why on earth has she gone to Oban for a week during term? / Assistant Warden (opening mouth before engaging brain :rolleyes: ): don't know why just says she gone with her boyfriend / (long pause) Mother: What f*cking BOYFRIEND?

Think the lesson of that, for both the student and also for us wardens, is - the less information given, the better...

That would be easier than trying to get a hold of the warden, which can be a task in itself. We don't have to say if we are away (I think), I'm away every weekend, filling forms would get quite boring.

Has anybody ever came across a middle aged chap in Stirling who obviously doesn't have his mental wits about him. Randomly spends his days travelling on the buses between the town centre and the Uni. If you dare look his way he is most likely to start a conversation with you usually opening with 'Hi how ye doin.' Ive seen poor c***s actually having to run away to get rid of him.

I hadn't seen him in about a year, but then I read your post last night and he was on my bus today!

Aye, he sits in the first proper seats, behind the foldy down ones, and says "Hiya, how ye doin'?" to everyone who walks past. Usually has his tape deck with him, too. He's a nice enough bloke, but it's just awkward talking to him. He asks you loads of questions, and doesn't answer the ones you ask him...

I need some opinions here from you all. Should I when I go to uni:

Commute, so basically go home at the end of the day. OR

Stay in the halls/a flat.

Also, has anyone been to Abertay/Napier Universities? What was/is it like?

cheers

Edited by jamamafegan4

cheers

Abertay you might get away with commuting. Napier I would most definitely stay in halls/flat, Edinburgh is a nice city to live in.

Why didn't you go to the open days?

cheers

From my experience, those who commuted were almost outcasted, especially when chat of nights out etc was mentioned.

You would lose 1 of the main advantages of going to uni imo - the social side - if you decided to commute

Edited by The Woolshed

cheers

Commute first year, save your money and move in second year.

You won't be a social outcast, plenty of people commute in their first year.

From my experience, those who commuted were almost outcasted, especially when chat of nights out etc was mentioned.

You would lose 1 of the main advantages of going to uni imo - the social side - if you decided to commute

Agree. People who commute in first years are just kidding themselves. First year is all about the social aspect!

I've commuted to Glasgow for two and a half years now. It's absolutely fine for me.

I can still go nights out and either get the last train home or stay at one of my friends' flats.

Its not even just the nights out though Craig, it's the independence factor of it all.

I was away for 4 years at uni living in halls in 1st year, then a flat for the following 3.

Since graduating, i've since moved home to save some money and staying at home again is terrible. Yeh theres the bonus of food and washing etc, but cooking became something i quite enjoyed. There was the bringin birds back aswell.....

If most or even some of your mates are still at home then just commute. Like people have said you can still go on nights out but just crash at someones flat or organise getting home. I stay at home and commute into uni (Napier which I'll get to) but don't feel like an outcast. Mainly because I don't really care what the folk in my class are getting up to. Only 1 (2 at a push) of my mates moved further away than Edinburgh (I live in East Lothian) so I contiue hanging around with my best mates from school. The only time I feel like wanting to go up town with the folk from uni is when I want to get fired into a bird. ;)

Because you're an outcast.

If anything, its better to go in halls in first year and then commute later if you must do both. First year is when you make friends, when you get a bit of independence for the first time, and most of the friends I left uni with were those that I met right at the start of first year! In first year, you make new friends, and you get to encounter people from all over the place, rather than just from within your local area, its something new and different!

If you have a bunch of mates away from Uni I highly doubt you'd be too bothered.

True. I admit my social life as far as Uni is concerned is almost non-existant because I commute every day and don't know tons of people. Doesn't greatly bother me anyway as I have plenty of mates away from Uni. Social life is fine as it is.

I don't disagree that it would be fun but meh. I'm alright with my current arrangements.

Edited by Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth

If most or even some of your mates are still at home then just commute. Like people have said you can still go on nights out but just crash at someones flat or organise getting home. I stay at home and commute into uni (Napier which I'll get to) but don't feel like an outcast. Mainly because I don't really care what the folk in my class are getting up to. Only 1 (2 at a push) of my mates moved further away than Edinburgh (I live in East Lothian) so I contiue hanging around with my best mates from school. The only time I feel like wanting to go up town with the folk from uni is when I want to get fired into a bird. ;)

As for Napier. They are trying hard to improve but all in all it is a bit of a joke uni. Fortunatley for me they have invested a lot of money and effort into the journalism course. I would research the course and department that you are wanting to get into.

Napier is good for Timber Engineering, that's about it....

John Napier and Jack Kilby are turning in their graves thinking about that place.

Its not even just the nights out though Craig, it's the independence factor of it all.

I was away for 4 years at uni living in halls in 1st year, then a flat for the following 3.

Since graduating, i've since moved home to save some money and staying at home again is terrible. Yeh theres the bonus of food and washing etc, but cooking became something i quite enjoyed. There was the bringin birds back aswell.....

I'm quite happy at home though. I get on really well with my family, but at the same time I can easily spend time in my room myself or go out and do my own thing.

I know that I would get by fine living on my own or in a flat or whatever, but it's not really in my character to desperately need something like that.

Oh dear....by the sounds of things, Napiers isnt very good.....I thank u all for your insight, particulary vlad and that wool guy (cant remember name).

Anyway, i can see the benefits of both commuting and staying in residence. Most of my mates will be leaving perth, so this really puts me off commuting + i do want to meet new folk. But there are money issues. And if i dont go 2 napier then staying in halls/flat at abertay seems pointless as its a 20 min drive away!