Pokemon Thread

Ad Lib

Just got Pokerus. Lucky?

So, now that I've infected all and sundry with it I've been concentrating on maxing out certain stats, or as close to it as I can get, by trying to count the EVs I gain in each stat. But I'm sure it's not as simple as I first thought.

When levelling up a Gyarados with Pokerus and a macho brace I'm gaining 4x the EV yield of anything I knock out, concentrating heavily on attack. On one level I gained:

HP: 0 EVs --- Stat gain +4

ATK: 64 EVs --- +10

DEF: 0 EVs --- +1

SP ATK: 20 EVs --- +4

SP DEF: 32 EVs --- +6

SPD: 40 EVs --- +7

The next level up:

HP: 0 EVs --- Stat gain +3

ATK: 111 EVs --- +6

DEF: 16 EVs --- +2

SP ATK: 16 EVs --- +3

SP DEF: 56 EVs --- +4

SPD: 50 EVs --- +7

Clearly not as impressive a gain regards attack and special defence. So Ad Lib or anyone else who knows how the shitting system works, I'd appreciate your advice.

It really depends what you want to use your Gyarados for. If you want an all out sweeper, you'll be wanting to 252 attack/252speed/4 defence, but you see a lot of people using it as a setup pokemon too, with 156HP/72attacl/96def/184speed.

I've never really used Gyarados but it really depends how it fits into your team.

It's kinda difficult to explain how the EV system works really but there's a good guide here.

Cheers for that. I was more concerned with the 64 EVs in attack giving a +10 stat boost compared to over 100 giving only a +6. I'm still not really certain why that is.

• 1 month later...

Pokémon Black and White gets released in Japan in twelve days. :D

I won't be getting the Japanese version, but it will be ace to see all the new Pokémon for this generation. The game's expected to be released in Spring 2011 (early March apparently) so it will fall on my birthday again, pretty much. I never thought I'd potentially be playing Pokémon on a train to Kirkcaldy on my 18th...

NEW POKÉMON! biggrin.gif

Don't make it just me commenting on this thread.

I don't know what to make of the new ones. They wouldn't go amiss in Digimon. Some of them look quite cool though. I'm already compiling a mental list of their names and who I want in my party of six.

They all look the same frankly, however I am looking into buying this, but is that sad for a student, havent played one since I downloaded platinum, and that was really addictive however.

It's not sad, no. I think people automatically assume that pokemon is 'gay' or whatever without ever giving it a bash. It's highly addictive and has elements in it that a child would just not understand.

Anyways, I always look forward to exploring new regions for the first time so it's a definite buy for me, probably get white and my mate will get black.

Spot on. Just because it doesn't involve shooting c***s with various weapons doesn't make it shite or pathetic. A game's a game. Some people will enjoy it, some people won't.

I think I'll be going black when it comes out. I prefer electric to fire, and my mate prefers fire to electric (dragon/electric, dragon/fire are the cover Pokémon), so we're sorted. I'm genuinely quite excited, despite the release date is six months away.

• 4 weeks later...

Never played it, elaborate a little for me lads

Walk around various different city's fighting other trainers with monsters called Pokémon (Pocket Monsters), collecting eight gym badges along the way. With them, you then fight the Elite Four and The Champion, and if you win that you are now the champion. The game's pretty much over then, but to be one of those 100% type people, you'd have to catch all the Pokémon in the game (there's now 550+, so sack that).

Anyway. If you use your Wi-Fi connector between today and the 30th of October, you can get a Mew! :D

Walk around various different city's fighting other trainers with monsters called Pokémon (Pocket Monsters), collecting eight gym badges along the way. With them, you then fight the Elite Four and The Champion, and if you win that you are now the champion. The game's pretty much over then, but to be one of those 100% type people, you'd have to catch all the Pokémon in the game (there's now 550+, so sack that).

Anyway. If you use your Wi-Fi connector between today and the 30th of October, you can get a Mew! :D

Is this for HG/SS? If so, might have to fish that game back out. Can't turn down a free Mew.

Is this for HG/SS? If so, might have to fish that game back out. Can't turn down a free Mew.

It is indeed. I'd have thought it would have been a Celebi, but you can't whack a Mew (new arcade game, perhaps?).

It is indeed. I'd have thought it would have been a Celebi, but you can't whack a Mew (new arcade game, perhaps?).

I was fucking gutted to miss out on Jirachi. Nabbing Mew pronto. Will be my first ever legit Mew.

• 1 month later...

f**k off! I forgot all about Mew! :angry:

Anyway, for those who didn't know, last week the starter Pokémon for Black and White have been localised. Linky

Snivy (grass), Tepig (fire) and Oshawott (water).

Snivy suits it's name, but it was rumoured to be called Smugleaf, which sounds so much more Pokémon-esque and sounds more like the playful nature of what you'd expect.

Tepig. Well, it's a tepid pig. No real imagination put into it.

Oshawott. It sounds like Nelson Mandela saying 'ocelot'. Really shit name, despite it resembling an otter.

Still, can't wait until the release. :D

I have a question; Has anyone played any of the side-games for the DS? i.e Explorers of Darkness/Time, Pokémon Ranger, etc.

I'd quite like to buy one of these spin-offs, but I don't know quite how good they are, and what they do. The newest release does involve a Pichu with a ukulele though.