Snow!

xbl

To the young couple in room 601 of the Travelodge, Glasgow Central - thanks very much for making me listen to your night of high passion last night, just what I needed after sitting in the car for 8 hours or so.

TBH, it did sound like you made a good job of it sir...wink.gif

As Chubby Brown said, it's difficult to applaud him with one hand.

Interesting that some folk are having a go at people driving up the outside lane. I can't speak for what you saw, but I saw people going 5-10 mph faster than the traffic on the left hand lane, not weaving in and out or cutting in front of people - nothing dangerous about it at all in fact. Add to that the fact that they were both easing congestion by allowing both lanes to be utilised (like they're meant to be) and helping churn the grit (if there was any) into the snow, and it's clear they were actually helping the situation, as well as getting home faster themselves.

I don't buy the SNPs line of 'weather not expected or forecast' as the BBC were forecasting it and they get regular updates 24/7 from the Met Office.

What wasn't forecast was the amount of snow. It was meant to be 2 inches on lower ground, which wouldn't have caused such problems. It turned out to be much more than that - 7 inches at my house near the centre of Stirling for example. They should have stuck to their guns about the forecast not matching reality.

What wasn't forecast was the amount of snow. It was meant to be 2 inches on lower ground, which wouldn't have caused such problems. It turned out to be much more than that - 7 inches at my house near the centre of Stirling for example. They should have stuck to their guns about the forecast not matching reality.

No, that "light snow" forecast apparently didn't exist. You're not the only one that heard it, I heard it too, as did others, but apparently it did not happen. :blink:

Interesting that some folk are having a go at people driving up the outside lane. I can't speak for what you saw, but I saw people going 5-10 mph faster than the traffic on the left hand lane, not weaving in and out or cutting in front of people - nothing dangerous about it at all in fact. Add to that the fact that they were both easing congestion by allowing both lanes to be utilised (like they're meant to be) and helping churn the grit (if there was any) into the snow, and it's clear they were actually helping the situation, as well as getting home faster themselves.

Like they're meant to be when there's not a couple of inches of hard packed ice on the outside lane, and the cars on the inside lane are not already sliding on the lesser iced up area, that is.

What I heard was the BBC national forecast giving an extreme weather warning with a "substantial" fall of snow and Gail McGrain on the Scottish weather forecsat predicting between 2.5-7cm of snow.

They've played them both on TV and Radio today which has led to the deserved apology for a total f**k up

What I heard was the BBC national forecast giving an extreme weather warning with a "substantial" fall of snow and Gail McGrain on the Scottish weather forecsat predicting between 2.5-7cm of snow.

They've played them both on TV and Radio today which has led to the deserved apology for a total f**k up

I would have loved to have just had 7cm of snow! Gnash is right, the government should have stuck to their guns.

I would have loved to have just had 7cm of snow! Gnash is right, the government should have stuck to their guns.

OK I agree its difficult for forecasters to predict the exact measurement of snow that's going to fall,but I think the clue would have been in the word "substantial".

They know they fucked up hence the backdown and Salmonds silence is deafening

OK I agree its difficult for forecasters to predict the exact measurement of snow that's going to fall,but I think the clue would have been in the word "substantial".

They know they fucked up hence the backdown and Salmonds silence is deafening

Forecast I saw was "light snow", and going by the thread, I'm clearly not alone. And you seem to have missed or forgotten the perfect storm of other things. The rain beforehand washing away the grit, the amount of people on the roads (if it was substantial snow, what were all these people doing?), the fact that it hit at rush hour, it was a perfect storm of conditions. What do you expect Alex Salmond to say? The first minister is not responsible for every speck of grit, nor does he control the weather.

Trying to get home mostly I would say given the time the snow fell.

I mean, I got to my work at half 6 on Monday when it was just starting. I left at 10 and it took me me 4 hours from Falkirk to Kilsyth.

The problem really was trying to get the schools opened. That caused the most traffic. Had the Councils read the forecast and decided to keep the schools shut there wouldn't have been half the trafic on the roads when they were at their worst.

I can only repeat what others have said, anyone over the age of 15 who still loves snow needs their fucking bumps felt.

I love snow!

Just a few days ago, you were moaning about stockpiles of grit and workers on overtime, insisting that it wouldn't snow! Furthermore, when the schools were closed last week, there was outcry, and a demand for them to be opened. I don't know about anyone else, but in Stirling, it started off raining, and didn't start snowing till 9am, at which point it pelted it down. There is nothing the gritters could have done about that. The only thing that would have really solved it would have been if cars had been fitted with winter tyres.

I love snow!

Just a few days ago, you were moaning about stockpiles of grit and workers on overtime, insisting that it wouldn't snow! Furthermore, when the schools were closed last week, there was outcry, and a demand for them to be opened. I don't know about anyone else, but in Stirling, it started off raining, and didn't start snowing till 9am, at which point it pelted it down. There is nothing the gritters could have done about that. The only thing that would have really solved it would have been if cars had been fitted with winter tyres.

Go on, bring up his quotes. You know you want to.

Back on topic, the forecast I saw, I forget which site, said light snow showers through out the morning.

Forecast I saw was "light snow", and going by the thread, I'm clearly not alone. And you seem to have missed or forgotten the perfect storm of other things. The rain beforehand washing away the grit, the amount of people on the roads (if it was substantial snow, what were all these people doing?), the fact that it hit at rush hour, it was a perfect storm of conditions. What do you expect Alex Salmond to say? The first minister is not responsible for every speck of grit, nor does he control the weather.

Stewart Stevenson got ripped a new one Radio Scotland this morning as they played back the actual broadcast to him,hence his back down and apology.

What rain was there beforehand??

As mentioned by a previous poster,there were lots of people going to work and you have to remember not everyone watches the weather forecast,hence the reason for them being on the road.

I know the first minister doesn't control the weather, but you try telling the self righteous c**t that.

Prime Ministers, Presidents etc,come out and give statements when other major incidents happen,so what makes Salmond immune from doing this, arrogance perhaps?

Stewart Stevenson got ripped a new one Radio Scotland this morning as they played back the actual broadcast to him,hence his back down and apology.

As mentioned by a previous poster,there were lots of people going to work and you have to remember not everyone watches the weather forecast,hence the reason for them being on the road.

I know the first minister doesn't control the weather, but you try telling the self righteous c**t that.

Prime Ministers, Presidents etc,come out and give statements when other major incidents happen,so what makes Salmond immune from doing this, arrogance perhaps?

There was about 30-60 mins of rain in the west before it turned to sleet, and then snow.

Go on, bring up his quotes. You know you want to.

Back on topic, the forecast I saw, I forget which site, said light snow showers through out the morning.

Ach, if you insist... :D

We are going to get these threats every fucking week until the salt runs out and the councils can't afford to buy anymore. It's a wee bit cold at the moment, Christmas is coming, the council workers will be topping up their money any chance they get doing overtime.

It's really not going to snow at all.

Aye, all those quotes were really relevant to North Lanarkshire Council and their gritting policy.

Like I predicted, there was no snow at all. What a waste of fucking money.

Lots of rain. Rain in Stirling, rain around Glasgow, there was discussion on it last night on this forum, because it would have washed the grit away!

watching newsnight xbl? just showed the forecast with the words severe and rush hour and central scotland used.

And as has been seen in this thread, that forecast is different to what many others saw. Possibly we saw the forecast of an hour earlier, but its all a big ado about nothing. I don't even think its a Unionist thing. Whoever was in charge would have got it in the neck, completely unfairly. It sounds like they did the best they could.

And as has been seen in this thread, that forecast is different to what many others saw. Possibly we saw the forecast of an hour earlier, but its all a big ado about nothing. I don't even think its a Unionist thing. Whoever was in charge would have got it in the neck, completely unfairly. It sounds like they did the best they could.

what punters saw is irrelevant. what the minister/planners saw is what's important and clearly they were told 5-10 cm AT rush hour. they failed to deal with that. if it turns out to be a failure by someone to say aww haud on, its raining we better grit again cause it might have been washed away, then fine, but that's still ss's fault as he hadn't enabled those decisions to the chalk face.

fine the best they could do. except that has been found unacceptable. stevenson has to go. he's a liability and an easy target for that non entity grey.

the best they could do is no excuse. if homer simpson was in charge of hunterston power station and it went into meltdown you wouldn't say ah well, homer did the best he could, you'd ask why a retard was in charge.

its not an anti snp thing, its an anti stevenson thing. he's clearly to blame -the buck stops with him, or with swinney. which would you rather was lost?

what punters saw is irrelevant. what the minister/planners saw is what's important and clearly they were told 5-10 cm AT rush hour. they failed to deal with that. if it turns out to be a failure by someone to say aww haud on, its raining we better grit again cause it might have been washed away, then fine, but that's still ss's fault as he hadn't enabled those decisions to the chalk face.

I agree with you that its not an anti SNP thing, I just said that! But nobody has to go.

And Edinburgh got 30+ cm of snow. Stirling got 5-10 inches.