Snow!

xbl

Father Jack didnt know there was heavy snow until 0801 on Monday morning - I assume he doesnt have a window, it had been chucking it down here for around 2 hours by that time.

Father Jack didnt know there was heavy snow until 0801 on Monday morning - I assume he doesnt have a window, it had been chucking it down here for around 2 hours by that time.

Maybe he wasn't awake. I was off that day, so didn't know it had been snowing until I woke up!

Maybe he wasn't awake. I was off that day, so didn't know it had been snowing until I woke up!

whilst I'm all for sleeping late, this has ramifications which are outlined in an excellent west wing episode. when did the transport sec. learn of this info. and if not at 08.01, when and who took the decisions in his stead?

or maybe I'm just plugging one of my fav west wing epsiodes :D

Yes, I think that's coming. They make such a difference in conditions like these.

(cue hysterical tantrums from Tories and libertarians claiming that we should all be free to kill ourselves in icy conditions without interference from the Scottish Executive)

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Should it now be mandatory to have winter tyres the same as various other countries??

If someone could guarantee me that we're going to have this kind of winter every year, say, then I'd go out and buy a set of winter tyres tomorrow.

What would more likely happen is that I'd go out and buy them and we wouldn't see anything like this for ten years.

Really? That doesn't look very efficient. I'd be pretty annoyed if they'd wasted £10m on those.

I suppose its all down to who's riding the bike.

I reckon Chris Hoy could have cleared the M8 in no time.

I think you've got to think through the whole enviro-friendly aspect before completely writing them off though.

There are icicles hanging from my window. I find that fucking incredible. That is all.

I was just about speared by a 2 foot long fucker from my roof.

*sniggers, hehe*

Depends where he was. On Monday at 8am I was driving from Hamilton to East Kilbride, and it was raining.

All the grit that had been spread overnight was washed away by the rain, before the snow arrived around half past nine.

I hadn't seen or heard anything on the radio telling me not to drive to work as I might have difficulty getting home that day.

As it was it turned out impossible for me to get back to Hamilton, so had to go stay at my girlfriends instead. Some folk in my office ended up spending the night there, sleeping on the floor.

Edit: Just heard some politician say a severe weather warning was issued at 8:40pm on Sunday. Thing is though, we get so many of these warnings that after a while you don't know which ones mean travel with care, and which ones mean don't travel at all.

Edited by Jie Bie

Depends where he was. On Monday at 8am I was driving from Hamilton to East Kilbride, and it was raining.

All the grit that had been spread overnight was washed away by the rain, before the snow arrived around half past nine.

I hadn't seen or heard anything on the radio telling me not to drive to work as I might have difficulty getting home that day.

As it was it turned out impossible for me to get back to Hamilton, so had to go stay at my girlfriends instead. Some folk in my office ended up spending the night there, sleeping on the floor.

Edit: Just heard some politician say a severe weather warning was issued at 8:40pm on Sunday. Thing is though, we get so many of these warnings that after a while you don't know which ones mean travel with care, and which ones mean don't travel at all.

Even if people heard 'severe weather- snow do not travel unless essential' I would reckon 80% of people would have counted work as essential and say it wasn't that bad, just sleet or rain...

The conditions are the same as me really. I drove to EK and it was pissing it down with rain and sleet. I presume this passed over the rest of the country in front of the snow.

The transport minister being a scapegoat is quite funny as I think it was just unfortunate what happened!

My wife this very morning fell and broke her leg walking to work, the pavements are a fucking disgrace!

Is it wrong of me to say, if they are that bad, why not walk on the road, there isnt exactly a deluge of traffic atm.