Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Don't worry Sarge! I did that today. The first time I brought her into work one of the guys (child hater) said he'd preferred it if she was a dog. [emoji20] Thanks. 

When you go back just talk about how much you miss being said child and take great pleasure in turning in every conversation into an opportunity to talk about your new baby. Folk love it when folk do that.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/13/why-do-dads-have-lower-levels-of-testosterone/

I've found that as my kid has grown any interest in coo-ing over folks' kids has waned. When men are actively looking after young kids they pretty much become women then return to normal (ie the bloke who would prefer a dog) as kids grow. 

Wait until you become a grandparent.  I have become far more tolerant of kids in general since my granddaughter was born.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Wait until you become a grandparent.  I have become far more tolerant of kids in general since my granddaughter was born.

That's an interesting one as there are lots of possible reasons. You don't have the immediate responsibility of bringing them up so you're maybe more relaxed, knowing you can amuse them for a while then hand them back to the parents? Is it because the testosterone drops with age, making you more tolerant of kids (having seen your posts after a few cavas I don't think this is so!). The missus says her old man was mega-strict with her and her siblings yet is so laid back with the grandkids.

Maybe some in-built function of grandparents is to impart wisdom and generally amuse and educate the youngsters? My grandpa was a miserable bugger yet was a big influence on me (even though he died when I was about 7 or 8). He liked his music, boxing, clothes and had a habit of getting into scrapes - all things I picked up. 

I was having a swim the other morning and at 9am the swimming lessons start and all these dads were having to deal with their unruly wee buggers. That was me not long ago but now it seems like hell on earth. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

That's an interesting one as there are lots of possible reasons. You don't have the immediate responsibility of bringing them up so you're maybe more relaxed, knowing you can amuse them for a while then hand them back to the parents? Is it because the testosterone drops with age, making you more tolerant of kids (having seen your posts after a few cavas I don't think this is so!). The missus says her old man was mega-strict with her and her siblings yet is so laid back with the grandkids.

Maybe some in-built function of grandparents is to impart wisdom and generally amuse and educate the youngsters? My grandpa was a miserable bugger yet was a big influence on me (even though he died when I was about 7 or 8). He liked his music, boxing, clothes and had a habit of getting into scrapes - all things I picked up. 

I was having a swim the other morning and at 9am the swimming lessons start and all these dads were having to deal with their unruly wee buggers. That was me not long ago but now it seems like hell on earth. 

He wasn't a painter then?

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I have no idea for the reason and don't think too deeply about it.  My wife has always been pretty maternal but is more surprised than anyone about my attitude to our granddaughter.

As a grandparent you definitely have more time to deal with the bigger picture as you're not having to do all the day to day stuff at the same time.  When our granddaughter is with us it's all about her, that said she is far more likely to play up with her parents than she will with us and it's not because we're strict.

Maybe you reach the age where you appreciate that you are genuinely helping to shape another human being's life (yeah I know that sounds mawkish but it's true).  Being grandparent is incredibly rewarding.

Just now, Shandon Par said:

It's still wet - I'm not popular at home.

At this time of year paint takes ages to dry, I did some gloss in my bathroom at the holidays and it took nearly three days to dry properly.

At this rate you'll have another two days of earache to come.

16 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Granda Shandon 

2017-01-18-17-13-56--493086718.jpeg

8 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

A colleague asked me recently if I'd be taking my fortnight's summer holiday concurrently with my 2 week paternity leave. I told them honestly that if I was off for a whole month I'd never return. f**k knows how you'll manage going back after a year or so. I'd have completely lost the ability to give a shite about work. I worked from home for 6 months when my wife was pregnant with our first kid. Going back to working in an office again after that was murder, though the routine was nice I suppose.

The way my current shifts run I often have a month off at a time and the thought of going back is torture.

I always end up feeling glad that I'm back in a routine though and wonder if that's what galvanises women who have had all of that time off?

1 hour ago, philpy said:

A month?? Christ sake Andy, I'd be cracking up after two weeks!!

There's nothing like walking out of your last shift knowing that you don't need to set alarms for 04:30 for a while but aye, you do often run out of things to do and begin to look forward to the routine again.

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You lot are all weird. I love time off. I could quite happily never go to work again.

There's only so much you can do about the house, usually nobody else is off to go golfing and, as good as PES is, once you get to about 2033 in BaL even that gets boring.

I've even considered a voluntary job for my time off.

You lot are all weird. I love time off. I could quite happily never go to work again. If any of you ever win the lottery, can I have it?

If I won the lottery id love being off too. Being off gets boring pretty quickly when you're just on a regular wage though.

When I'm off for any great period of time without any holiday booked I just turn into a slob. Up till morning watching TV and sleeping all day/repeat. When it's Christmas time it's the same plus eating 24/7 and getting blootered every few nights.

Used to be class at the school but all your mates were off too so always had things to do. Being older is shite.

I am also in the glad to be back in routine camp. ;)

Presuming someone at work is reading this. We were promised a wage rise six months ago and f**k all's been happening despite me going on about it to management and the union. I mention here I'm gonna apply for a job in the Western Isles and suddenly it's getting bumped up and probably backdated.