Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're going to get born again? I thought you thought religion was :lol:?

I’m starting a ‘non-religious reincarnation’ movement.  It will appeal to the modern thinker who is seeking the impossible without looking as if they’re buying into religious gobbledygook.

£1,000 memebership and there’s lots of gullable c***s who will jump at the chance to join.

I assume you will want to be an initial member?

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m starting a ‘non-religious reincarnation’ movement.  It will appeal to the modern thinker who is seeking the impossible without looking as if they’re buying into religious gobbledygook.

£1,000 memebership and there’s lots of gullable c***s who will jump at the chance to join.

I wouldn't join any club that wanted me as a member...

Buddhism?
Think that one's covered.

21 hours ago, sjc said:

Fucking cold! They have a winter festival there with ice sculptures. Lots of active volcanos there as well as wild bears!

I've yet to visit there but the winter festival is something I'd like to see.

Winters tend to be dry in Japan even though the mountainous areas and Hokkaido get a lot of snow.

Got confused, thought you lived up there. What's Shikoku like in October and are there anything like laid back beach towns there?

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Got confused, thought you lived up there. What's Shikoku like in October and are there anything like laid back beach towns there?

Autumn (October) is still 20°c+ in Shikoku but Japan doesn't really have a beach going/sun worshipping culture. Okinawa would be better for that due to the massive American influence. 

42 minutes ago, sjc said:

Autumn (October) is still 20°c+ in Shikoku but Japan doesn't really have a beach going/sun worshipping culture. Okinawa would be better for that due to the massive American influence. 

I only go on the beach if there's a beach bar and I stay in the shade. Just got the stereotypical idea of Japanese bars being full of men in suites getting rat arsed, singing karaoke and groping waitresses, and looking to find somewhere a bit more laid back. Not too keen on going to place full of Americans and can't afford the extra flight anyway. Intending to rail pass it, but would like to find one place and get to know it rather than bombing about everywhere.

P.S. I see the flights to Okinawa can be cheaper than the rail pass, will look into it.

Edited by welshbairn

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I only go on the beach if there's a beach bar and I stay in the shade. Just got the stereotypical idea of Japanese bars being full of men in suites getting rat arsed, singing karaoke and groping waitresses, and looking to find somewhere a bit more laid back. Not too keen on going to place full of Americans and can't afford the extra flight anyway. Intending to rail pass it, but would like to find one place and get to know it rather than bombing about everywhere.

P.S. I see the flights to Okinawa can be cheaper than the rail pass, will look into it.

You can fly direct from Tokyo to Ishigaki Island......it's beautiful and a lot less populated than the main Island/Naha of Okinawa. The Ishigaki beef is very nice and Goya vegetable is a anti cancer superfood apparently!

http://www.ishigaki-japan.com/

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

You can fly direct from Tokyo to Ishigaki Island......it's beautiful and a lot less populated than the main Island/Naha of Okinawa. The Ishigaki beef is very nice and Goya vegetable is a anti cancer superfood apparently!

http://www.ishigaki-japan.com/

That looks fucking tempting, a few days in Tokyo with a week in Ishigaki. Apparently I can get a dirt cheap flight if I add it on to my British Airways ticket. Any recommendation for places to stay?

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That looks fucking tempting, a few days in Tokyo with a week in Ishigaki. Apparently I can get a dirt cheap flight if I add it on to my British Airways ticket. Any recommendation for places to stay?

We stayed here (see link below). Self contained chalet type place with your own cooking and washing machine facilities. You'd need a car though.....that's the easiest way to get about. You MUST have an International licence to hire a car though......easy and cheap from the post office.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/guest-house-annsea-ishigaki.en-gb.html?aid=356995;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-jp-guestNhouseNannseaNishigaki-unspec-jp-com-L%3Aen-O%3AwindowsS10-B%3Achrome-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX-H%3As;sid=c771093601b549403f82197f539cc3a6;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

We stayed here (see link below). Self contained chalet type place with your own cooking and washing machine facilities. You'd need a car though.....that's the easiest way to get about. You MUST have an International licence to hire a car though......easy and cheap from the post office.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/guest-house-annsea-ishigaki.en-gb.html?aid=356995;label=gog235jc-hotel-XX-jp-guestNhouseNannseaNishigaki-unspec-jp-com-L%3Aen-O%3AwindowsS10-B%3Achrome-N%3AXX-S%3Abo-U%3AXX-H%3As;sid=c771093601b549403f82197f539cc3a6;dist=0&sb_price_type=total&type=total&

Not too expensive either. Think I'd rather be closer to the City though, might see if I can get an Air BnB apartment.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not too expensive either. Think I'd rather be closer to the City though, might see if I can get an Air BnB apartment.

Fair enough......you could have a few days there and a few in the City? We had that beach 30 seconds walk from the chalet in the pics to ourselves! Really relaxing plus the facilities allowed us to get supplies from the supermarket to make a big pot of spaghetti pescatore to munch on when not eating out.

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

Fair enough......you could have a few days there and a few in the City? We had that beach 30 seconds walk from the chalet in the pics to ourselves! Really relaxing plus the facilities allowed us to get supplies from the supermarket to make a big pot of spaghetti pescatore to munch on when not eating out.

If I was going with other people it sounds great. As I'm going on my own I'll need a bar in walking distance to keep sane.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If I was going with other people it sounds great. As I'm going on my own I'll need a bar in walking distance to keep sane.

Just be aware that the Japanese drinking culture is in isakayas where you order food and drinks as opposed to bars. Some isakayas offer 90mins of drinking for a set price but you need to order food.....usually small dishes like tapas (edamame beans, tofu etc)

ETA: e.g - the yakiniku place near me offers 90mins of unlimited drinking for 1200yen (about £8) when you pay for 90mins of unlimited bbq meats plus veg etc (2250yen - about £15)......great value if you're hungry!

Edited by sjc

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You couldn't persuade someone to get out of a burning car.

Why don't you just come out with it and ask him if you could stay at his pad.

Got a letter from one of our suppliers today who do fixings, etc. saying prices are to go up by 6%-9% except for sealants that will go up “significantly more”.

This is at a time when inflation is supposedly running at under 3%.