Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

He had some pretty horrific stuff to deal with a couple of decades later and that maybe brought him a bit of humility as he looked for peace and comfort.
A picture of Ruggy Jr in his Falkirk strip almost melted my heart the other day he looked so smart in it. Actually thought “I hope he grows up to star for Falkirk” rather than “I hope the wee Falkirk fucker gets his lunch money taken off him”. It is possible to soften.
Snowing here btw ffs!

Should have been “o hope he grows up to captain Falkirk as they doss about league 2”. Snowing in Aberdeen but no sign of any snow where I am in Fife, colder than it has been but not cold enough to snow, currently.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Sorry! I can’t imagine ever going on a racist rant but we’ve probably all done things that, if we’re truthful with ourselves, don’t sit well alongside our usual moral compass. And Granny D, the avatar is changed now. I’d hoped it may give you some sort of seizure but you’ve probably pickled your brain to the point you’re basically embalmed/immortal.

Appreciated, even with the mandatory sarcasm.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

This lockdown has made me a nicer person.  Maybe it’s because I need to interact with people less, but on those occasions I’m going to a supermarket I’m invariably exchanging a few kind words with the checkout person.

I hope to return to my normal self when this is over.

You've certainly been more approachable of late Granny, still a work in progress though I feel.

Thank you

I missed the whole Clapton racist rant discussion yesterday.  I found his whole drugs/alcohol excuse a bit thin; I’m not sure what drugs or drink turn you into a racist.

I think it’s possible to admire the music and be critical of the artist.  My one time seeing him live confirmed that he’s an arsehole of a human being whilst also a great performer.  His ‘atonement’ is well documented and I think he will be judged at least in part on the things he’s done since his outburst.  Still doesn’t excuse it in my eyes.

Seeing the comparison with Morrissey was sad but not surprising given its source.  Morrissey is an utter scumbag of a man who has ongoing extreme right-wing and racist views; his political affiliation proves this.  He makes no apologies for his views either.

There will be some people who still admire Morrissey’s music and are openly repelled by his views; I remember Billy Bragg doing an article (I think it was in the Guardian) making that very point.

There will be others who will condone, or worse, endorse his views because they are so besotted by him.

13 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

You've certainly been more approachable of late Granny, still a work in progress though I feel.

Thank you

Fùck off.

ETA I was talking about irl.  I’ve always been a nice person on here.

Edited by Granny Danger

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There will be some people who still admire Morrissey’s music and are openly repelled by his views;

True. You don't have to be an anti-Semite to listen to Wagner.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I'm going to listen to The Kinks before lunch.

They need to rewrite the lyrics of the self-preservation society to include a line about 2m social distancing.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has Clapton not since said that he was steaming when he said that but also that Enoch Powell was right and was a brave man etc etc?

I thought he said that around the same time.

He’s still a cùnt; a very talented cùnt.

I thought he said that around the same time.
He’s still a cùnt; a very talented cùnt.

His Wikipedia page says that he was giving qualified praise to Powell in the 2000s.

Clapton is one artist I’ve never really got into other than the songs you’ll hear on the radio. I do like the Smiths and some of Morrissey’s solo stuff though, it’s a shame that Steven is clearly off his rocker, although not surprising.

Just now, ICTChris said:

His Wikipedia page says that he was giving qualified praise to Powell in the 2000s.

Clapton is one artist I’ve never really got into other than the songs you’ll hear on the radio. I do like the Smiths and some of Morrissey’s solo stuff though, it’s a shame that Steven is clearly off his rocker, although not surprising.

Saying he’s off his rocker is offering an excuse for him.  I think he’s very conscious in his racism and vile right-wing political views.

As for Clapton, there are no rights or wrongs in musical taste, you like what you like.  Also people’s taste is influenced by the era they grew up in and started appreciating music.

Saying he’s off his rocker is offering an excuse for him.  I think he’s very conscious in his racism and vile right-wing political views.
As for Clapton, there are no rights or wrongs in musical taste, you like what you like.  Also people’s taste is influenced by the era they grew up in and started appreciating music.

I don’t mean he is mentally ill or anything like that. I just think he’s a strange person, partly as a result of his career which consists of him being lionised for songs he wrote as a teenager when he’s in his fifties. That’s going to make anyone a bit weird. If you ever meet anyone involved in far right politics they are all a bit odd. It’s a natural fit for him.

I think this about lots of celebrities you see involved in odd groups, like Tom Cruise and Scientology or Paltrow and that ‘buy a jade egg for your fanny for £500’ Nonsense. They live in an unreal world and often don’t have anyone around them to say “what the f**k are you on about?”.

There’s loads of artists who are probably brilliant but I just don’t have the time to sit down and get into them and I think Clapton is one of those.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t mean he is mentally ill or anything like that. I just think he’s a strange person, partly as a result of his career which consists of him being lionised for songs he wrote as a teenager when he’s in his fifties. That’s going to make anyone a bit weird. If you ever meet anyone involved in far right politics they are all a bit odd. It’s a natural fit for him.

I think this about lots of celebrities you see involved in odd groups, like Tom Cruise and Scientology or Paltrow and that ‘buy a jade egg for your fanny for £500’ Nonsense. They live in an unreal world and often don’t have anyone around them to say “what the f**k are you on about?”.

There’s loads of artists who are probably brilliant but I just don’t have the time to sit down and get into them and I think Clapton is one of those.

Interesting what you say about Morrissey.  Maybe most of his fan club suffer from arrested development.

When asked about being called a racist, Morrissey said: “If you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?”

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

He had some pretty horrific stuff to deal with a couple of decades later and that maybe brought him a bit of humility as he looked for peace and comfort.

A picture of Ruggy Jr in his Falkirk strip almost melted my heart the other day he looked so smart in it. Actually thought “I hope he grows up to star for Falkirk” rather than “I hope the wee Falkirk fucker gets his lunch money taken off him”. It is possible to soften.

Snowing here btw ffs!

That's what you get for living in the sticks. In my leafy South Edinburgh suburban paradise it's quite a nice day 

39 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

When asked about being called a racist, Morrissey said: “If you call someone racist in modern Britain you are telling them that you have run out of words. You are shutting the debate down and running off. The word is meaningless now. Everyone ultimately prefers their own race … does this make everyone racist?”

Yes, it does.