Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

4 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You reckon this fight will go ahead? Fury will knock that chump out in one round.

Could see the press conference being lively, given that Kinahan’s last one ended up with folk in drag machine gunning people. That and drug dealing being a capital offence in Bahrain. 

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

If you're not too well up-to-speed with international drug cartels and the world of heavyweight boxing, this may have gone over your head. A two fight deal was announced the other day between 6ft 6 Anthony Joshua and 6 ft 9 Tyson Fury. A big deal in the world of big boys hitting each other. BT & Sky's two big lads getting it on. Then someone revealed that the deal was brokered by a chap called Daniel Kinahan. If you're still reading this blankly, take a moment to google Daniel Kinahan. 

At the risk of upsetting the P&B massive, I'm going to say it: boxing is fucking ghastly.

At the risk of upsetting the P&B massive, I'm going to say it: boxing is fucking ghastly.

Boxing itself it’s brilliant. Some of the people involved, or getting involved, are ghastly.

16 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

You won’t be alone in that assertion and if your experience is the top end stuff on TV where it can be quite gruesome then it’s understandable.

Amateur boxing clubs though can literally be lifesavers for so many people. Last week’s 5 Live boxing podcast covered this subject (first half hour or so). 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/5-live-boxing-with-costello-bunce/id1209982802?i=1000477223673

There’s racist boxing fans, crooked promoters etc but at a club/recreation level it’s a terrific sport for discipline and respect and mixing up different colours and social strata. 

I acknowledge that I'm in a minority here. But a sport where the object is to injure your opponent's brain, abhors me.
So what is your opinion on other contact sports rugby, hockey or American football for example.

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

You won’t be alone in that assertion and if your experience is the top end stuff on TV where it can be quite gruesome then it’s understandable.

Amateur boxing clubs though can literally be lifesavers for so many people. Last week’s 5 Live boxing podcast covered this subject (first half hour or so). 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/5-live-boxing-with-costello-bunce/id1209982802?i=1000477223673

There’s racist boxing fans, crooked promoters etc but at a club/recreation level it’s a terrific sport for discipline and respect and mixing up different colours and social strata. 

I've been to amateur boxing events, and I understand your point, SP. Still, there are other things young people can do other than punch each other on the head. Sorry if that sounds wimpish or pacifist, P&B.

I acknowledge that I'm in a minority here. But a sport where the object is to injure your opponent's brain, abhors me.

That’s not the objective though and the reason the wear gloves, not allowed to headbutt, elbow or knee in the head

21 minutes ago, Empty It said:
24 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

So what is your opinion on other contact sports rugby, hockey or American football for example.

In most sports, injury is a risk. In boxing, it is the object.

A knockout, the objective in boxing, is a brain injury.

Most often, folk aren’t actually knocked out in boxing. There’s very few boxers aim to do lasting injury to their opponent. I do completely accept your viewpoint on it though

13 hours ago, throbber said:

I imagine you as a slightly more aggressive version of Super Hans.

I've only just started the program so outside of Sophie and Toni, I have no idea who any of the characters names are (you daft c**t.) 

11 hours ago, NJ2 said:

That’s not the objective though and the reason the wear gloves, not allowed to headbutt, elbow or knee in the head

Gloves are more likely to cause brain injuries tho' as it allows you to attack the head with power. You can't do that with an uncovered first or ye'll break the bones in your hand. Bare knuckle boxing is almost entirely about body shots for this reason and is a lot less dangerous* than Queensbury Rules.

*subjective: a lot more injuries but a lot less deaths 

Gloves are more likely to cause brain injuries tho' as it allows you to attack the head with power. You can't do that with an uncovered first or ye'll break the bones in your hand. Bare knuckle boxing is almost entirely about body shots for this reason and is a lot less dangerous* than Queensbury Rules.

*subjective: a lot more injuries but a lot less deaths 

I knew that would come up; my argument is that if the only objective of boxing was to cause pain and suffering to the opponent then they wouldn’t wear gloves.