Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

How often do folk speak to their parents? 

Do you need to initiate it or do they call you? Or is it a mix?

Do folk speak to other family members (that aren't parents or siblings) often or do you go years without seeing and speaking to them?

Do folk speak to other family members (that aren't parents or siblings) often or do you go years without seeing and speaking to them?
Nope.

And nope.

Usually have a text from my mum daily or every second day at worst. Never a "How are you doing?" type question, but there always seems to be a reason to be in touch. My paternal side of the family is massive but the majority of them I wouldn't stop to speak with on the street never mind keep in touch. The only extended family I'm in regular contact with are my (2) wee cousins. We have a quiz chat and there's usually something on there daily.

I've found since having kids that I can't be fucked with other people's drama so I've lessened my contact with people to focus on the people I actually care about. Used to get caught up in the Mrs's family drama but really don't give a f**k now.

I can go a couple of months between emails with my parents.
Not communicated with my siblings for 3-10 years.
Not seen or heard any cousins/aunts/uncles since the last funeral.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Since I moved abroad my parents have never called me.  In fact, we went a year without calls because my phone here was unable to make international calls for a while!

I call them for special occasions (Birthdays/Mother's Day and Father's Day/Christmas).

I email my sisters when necessary; other family members never, ever.  

Speak to my dad if i see him at work, will occasionally text. Was usually when i needed childcare. Will send my brother funny stuff on whatsapp and usually when scotland games are on we message each other.
My sister will message me about once a month where we talk about the bairns and stuff. Before she passed away, I went to see my gran regularly. At least once a week and most nights after I finished work. Extended family members are only to really wish a happy birthday.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Interesting idea for a thread. 

I message my parents and brother on whatsapp regularly. Pretty much every day or two. I feel guilty for not actually phoning my mum more as I know she likes it. Typically I wasn’t too bothered because I would go home to see them fairly regularly, but obviously I’ve only seen them in person a couple of times over the last 13 months so feel a bit bad about not phoning.

On 27/03/2021 at 18:24, Mr. Alli said:

I have Facebook for buying and selling clothes and my 'people you may know' page is slowly turning into a journeyman of Scottish football hunting ground. Newest additions I've deleted are Gregory Tade and Ryan McGuffie. 

I've no mutual friends so no idea why they're popping up. That's about 10 different players in a month. 

My bird is adamant that the folk who pop up on your "people you may know" who don't have any mutual friends are creeps who have been trying to look at your profile. 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

At least once a week.

Mainly my mum that phones me these days but it's a mix generally.

My family get together every Sunday for a meal (or did before Covid). We still speak regularly though.

I'll be the first, then..

Can't speak to mine, haven't got a ouija board.* Coat, got.**

Seriously, My three surviving siblings and I communicate rarely, but then we have relocated around the country so there's not much social life to arrange. Nobody's fallen out, we've just got our own families to be around. In actual fact, it's the next generation (the Rosettes and assorted cousins) who are all over FB and the like. 

*Fun Fact - named from the French and German for "Yes".

**How do you make a Ouija board? Take away his Buckie and jellies. Badoom, tish.

I have Facebook for buying and selling clothes and my 'people you may know' page is slowly turning into a journeyman of Scottish football hunting ground. Newest additions I've deleted are Gregory Tade and Ryan McGuffie. 
I've no mutual friends so no idea why they're popping up. That's about 10 different players in a month. 

I am part of a scottish football nostalgia page on Facebook and commented or liked a killie post and then received a friend request from a fellow member. Ex killie, airdrie and saints player Mark Reilly.

34 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I am part of a scottish football nostalgia page on Facebook and commented or liked a killie post and then received a friend request from a fellow member. Ex killie, airdrie and saints player Mark Reilly.

Once arrested a mate of mine.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I have a whatsapp group with my mum and 2 sisters that we communicate on daily. Speak to my dad by call or text every few months. Almost never speak to my various step siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles and the like. Just not a big one for family stuff really.

I try to phone my parents every week but sometimes it slips because I’m busy with the boy or, given its lockdown, I have been doing f**k all interesting to speak to them about. Try to phone my brothers every few weeks but that slips for same reasons. We have a family WhatsApp group that we use very regularly to chat or share photos.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Try and speak every couple of days and usually I call them.

I speak to my uncle a lot and see him at least every week. I see the rest of my dad's family twice a year on the anniversary of my grandparents deaths other than that I might bump into extended family at the football.

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He should move to the Northern Hemisphere. 

I see my parents a couple of times a week or so, usually. I live in the same village as them, and my mum looks after my youngest 2 days a week. My sister lives with my parents still (though is moving out this weekend, but only 3 miles or so away). My brother is only 15 miles or so away, see him maybe every couple of weeks or so. Grandparents, I don't speak to as often as I should. My Gran and Grampa, maybe once a month or so. My other Gran is probably every 2 months, and I haven't seen her in person since the start of last year, which I feel guilty about. Cousins/Aunties/Uncles, nothing regular, again haven't seen them in over a year now. Will exchange messages with the Dumfries side of the family when Queens are playing, but that's about it.

Orphaned.

See my siblings pretty regularly though. Once a week or two anyway. See my in law family about the same I'd say.