Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

3 hours ago, The DA said:

Thought I'd let you know that, as of 2pm, I am retired.  41 years work post-uni and it hasn't really sunk in yet that I can forget all my passwords, leave my phone switched off at night and do whatever I like(*).

* subject to permission from the wife.

Congratulations, enjoy.

3 hours ago, The DA said:

Thought I'd let you know that, as of 2pm, I am retired.  41 years work post-uni and it hasn't really sunk in yet that I can forget all my passwords, leave my phone switched off at night and do whatever I like(*).

Two more weeks for me. Hasn’t sunk in either. For the last two weeks of September I’ll still be assuming I’m going back to work after a holiday. What am I going to do in my retirement? Haven’t given it a thought. What a lovely problem to have. 

Congratulations to @The DA and @oldbitterandgrumpy - keep an eye out for the warning signs of miserable auld cuntery, such as hovering by the thermostat in case the missus decides to put the heating on.

Enjoy being part of the last generation who can afford to stop working!  :P

1 minute ago, BTFD said:

Congratulations to @The DA and @oldbitterandgrumpy - keep an eye out for the warning signs of miserable auld cuntery, such as hovering by the thermostat in case the missus decides to put the heating on.

The last generation that can afford to retire? That’s a very sobering thought. Quite depressing actually. My youngest grandkid is only seven. I shudder to think of the world she’s stepping into. 

14 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

The last generation that can afford to retire? That’s a very sobering thought. Quite depressing actually. My youngest grandkid is only seven. I shudder to think of the world she’s stepping into. 

I think a lot of today's kids will never start working - as we know it. Artificial Intelligence will manage so much of what most of us do.

The question is whether the savings/profits will be shared equally with the un-jobbed or whether they'll go to the plutocrats.

18 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

I wouldn't worry about it - I'd imagine every generation has felt the same about their grandkids' futures. Besides, she'll inherit some of your fortune, the lucky girl.

1 minute ago, The DA said:

I think a lot of today's kids will never start working - as we know it. Artificial Intelligence will manage so much of what most of us do.

The question is whether the savings/profits will be shared equally with the un-jobbed or whether they'll go to the plutocrats.

That's not a question and you know it!  As soon as military-grade AI drones become affordable for the wealthy and powerful, we're getting nothing ever again.

But these are young men's problems. Enjoy the free time you've worked for, and resist the inevitable temptation to pick up a copy of the Daily Mail or Express "just to see what it's like"  :P

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

Both my sons are aiming to retire the right side of 60.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Both my sons are aiming to retire the right side of 60.

Naturally I wasn't referring to the landed gentry.

Anyone unable to afford regular contributions to a private pension is fucked.

Just now, carpetmonster said:

Me too, but I'm also aiming to be the starting power forward for the Miami Heat which seems unlikely at 44YO and 5'10. 

Still think I could do a job for Steve Clarke, despite my aching knees and cavernous middle-aged belly button.

Leave me with my dreams.

2 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Naturally I wasn't referring to the landed gentry.

Anyone unable to afford regular contributions to a private pension is fucked.

I’d appreciate if you could be a bit more deferential in your replies.

1 minute ago, BTFD said:

Still think I could do a job for Steve Clarke, despite my aching knees and cavernous middle-aged belly button.

Leave me with my dreams.

Maybe that job could be tickling him from behind, so he smiles in a presser the odd time?

5 hours ago, The DA said:

Enjoy, you've earned it .canny wait till my turn

On a more cheerful note, a thread on people's plans for retirement might be a pleasant read. Maybe folk could even make some suggestions for the codgers who are struggling with their newfound free time (which seems to be a genuinely sad phenomena).

1 minute ago, BTFD said:

On a more cheerful note, a thread on people's plans for retirement might be a pleasant read. Maybe folk could even make some suggestions for the codgers who are struggling with their newfound free time (which seems to be a genuinely sad phenomena).

I'm taking a month out to do f**k-all other than whatever fancy takes me at 9 am each day.  After that, I might get serious.

Just now, BTFD said:

My old boy has dedicated his to hypocrisy. Before he retired his pet hate was (for whatever reason) old folks with bus passes - 'takes them fucking forever to get on and off the b*****d thing...half of them don't need it, they should means test it....'. Now he's got one and you'll phone him and ask him what he did that day - 'oh, me and Alan went to Edinburgh. Just for a pint. Got the bus through'. He lives in Ayrshire. 

Just now, carpetmonster said:

My old boy has dedicated his to hypocrisy. Before he retired his pet hate was (for whatever reason) old folks with bus passes - 'takes them fucking forever to get on and off the b*****d thing...half of them don't need it, they should means test it....'. Now he's got one and you'll phone him and ask him what he did that day - 'oh, me and Alan went to Edinburgh. Just for a pint. Got the bus through'. He lives in Ayrshire. 

Wife and I have tomorrow penciled in for mugshots for our bus passes.

Go places, have a drink with lunch and not worry about designated drivers? Result!