Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

39 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

For some context - the job is in New York, in Manhattan, and the starting salary is just over double what I am on now.

In all seriousness, what sort of a rise is that once you factor in accommodation, et cetera?

The choice isn't whether you want to do it or not, it's whether you spend the rest of your life hearing "wouldn't be like this is we'd moved to New York" or saying "told you this would be shite".

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

In all seriousness, what sort of a rise is that once you factor in accommodation, et cetera?

The choice isn't whether you want to do it or not, it's whether you spend the rest of your life hearing "wouldn't be like this is we'd moved to New York" or saying "told you this would be shite".

This is a consideration. Bigger salary but I imagine most of this would be gobbled up in paying for somewhere to live. 

To be fair also, I was interviewed for a job in Washington back in 2006, made it to the final 2 but lost out. So I have been down this road before but it was ages ago, different city, and so on. 

49 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Been invited to apply for a job in the US. I'm not thinking of going for it, as I'm pretty well settled here and have family etc. But - the wife keeps wanting to revisit the discussion. I think she might be keen. But I am utterly uninformed as to what would be involved. 

For some context - the job is in New York, in Manhattan, and the starting salary is just over double what I am on now. If we moved, it would be me, the wife and my 14 year old daughter. Scott would stay here and live with my mum, and go to uni. Stay with us in the summers until he graduated. 

So, for the expats here - would the process of moving/paperwork/immigration/finding schools etc be a total ballache? Or worth looking into? I really am not thinking about it but the wife is asking questions. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This is a consideration. Bigger salary but I imagine most of this would be gobbled up in paying for somewhere to live. 

To be fair also, I was interviewed for a job in Washington back in 2006, made it to the final 2 but lost out. So I have been down this road before but it was ages ago, different city, and so on. 

There was a documentary series where a group of people shared flats in New York, it looked great fun.

I've always believed Tesco to be a bunch of c***s.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/sep/23/tesco-aldi-price-match-bbc-panorama

"Dozens of Tesco food products contain lower proportions of key ingredients than “price-matched” equivalents at Aldi, according to a report that raises questions over value for money at the UK’s largest supermarket chain.

BBC Panorama said that 38 out of 122 Tesco products it surveyed contained at least five percentage points less of the main ingredient than the Aldi items they had been matched to."

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Been invited to apply for a job in the US. I'm not thinking of going for it, as I'm pretty well settled here and have family etc. But - the wife keeps wanting to revisit the discussion. I think she might be keen. But I am utterly uninformed as to what would be involved. 

For some context - the job is in New York, in Manhattan, and the starting salary is just over double what I am on now. If we moved, it would be me, the wife and my 14 year old daughter. Scott would stay here and live with my mum, and go to uni. Stay with us in the summers until he graduated. 

So, for the expats here - would the process of moving/paperwork/immigration/finding schools etc be a total ballache? Or worth looking into? I really am not thinking about it but the wife is asking questions. 

Your new work would probably do most of the leg work for you if they are hiring people from overseas as you imagine they have experience in getting all the paperwork done in that regards.Your salary would double but so would your living costs especially in the New York area,it's a pity a Peterhead fan that lives in between Philadelphia and New York no longer posts on here because he commutes into New York for his work but his experience would be slightly different as he went to college over there and married a local 

Forgot to mention if you go for it use Belfast and not London to get your visa done as the London embassy always has massive queues 

Edited by doulikefish

11 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

it's a pity a Peterhead fan that lives in between Philadelphia and New York no longer posts on here because he commutes into New York for his work but his experience would be slightly different as he went to college over there and married a local 

And turned into an alky.

Don't forget you might be living under Trump.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

It would. We're trying not to move to NYC at the moment, because it's either spend a fortune to live in a shoebox or spend half your life on trains. Not sure about the school district bit - in Chicago, it's just move into the catchment area for the school - but when we were looking at Hoboken, which would be the sweet spot for all those things - 3 bed apartments start at about $4k and they're half the size of our place in Chicago. 

If it's an L-1 visa you're going on, Mrs SD can get a work permit by pretty much default as well. All the screening's already been done with getting her the L-2, so it's just a case of making an appointment, turn up at whichever government building they tell you to, give them $400 (2013 prices, anyway) and you're in and out in five minutes. Permit should be thru in the post within a few weeks. 

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Huge consideration. Base cost of living in New York City is nearly twice Edinburgh, and that’s without considering Manhattan. Not a hope in hell for a reasonable cost accommodation in central New York, and schooling would almost certainly be Private $chool (called Public in the UK). There are a number of expat sites to search, and don’t forget healthcare costs. The coverage the hiring company provides is nothing like what you’re used to…and you’ll want to know what YOUR portion of the premium is too.