Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Tbf philpy is a nice guy in person. I just dont think he comes across well here despite it

He is a nice guy in person. Problem is he's one of the biggest attention seekers on here. Doesn't know when to stop.

Is there any buses to your favourite pub and how much would a taxi be? Or would cycling be realistic? Just being very nosey. Just seemed in my times in America that most of it is designed to separate homes from bars, which seems illogical.

Much of America, particularly the west, was developed after the invention of the automobile and as there was plenty of room into which to sprawl, wide-open spaces and long distances between amenities are just part of the culture. People are used to driving wherever they want to go and the infrastructure reflects this. 

Things are different in the city centres but I live in a mountain area which is rural and isolated even by most American standards. 50 miles to the nearest city, 18 miles to the nearest supermarket, 5 miles to the nearest petrol station. People (me included) generally don't go out 'just' to drink. They'll go out for a meal and have a couple of beers, or maybe to watch a game but drink driving laws are strictly enforced and it isn't common to see people out drinking purely for the social aspect.

No buses out where I live. Taxis exist but I've never explored the cost and while I can (and have) cycled the 7 miles to the nearest bar, it really isn't a pleasant road to ride on. Narrow, winding, with no shoulder and even the most alert motorist would be surprised to come up behind a cyclist. Plus, there's a b*****d of a hill for the first 2 miles on the way back.

Mrs Shotgun rarely drinks and is quite amenable to taking the wheel when I want more than 1 or 2 but for the most part, I do my drinking at home. 

Much of America, particularly the west, was developed after the invention of the automobile and as there was plenty of room into which to sprawl, wide-open spaces and long distances between amenities are just part of the culture. People are used to driving wherever they want to go and the infrastructure reflects this. 

Things are different in the city centres but I live in a mountain area which is rural and isolated even by most American standards. 50 miles to the nearest city, 18 miles to the nearest supermarket, 5 miles to the nearest petrol station. People (me included) generally don't go out 'just' to drink. They'll go out for a meal and have a couple of beers, or maybe to watch a game but drink driving laws are strictly enforced and it isn't common to see people out drinking purely for the social aspect.

No buses out where I live. Taxis exist but I've never explored the cost and while I can (and have) cycled the 7 miles to the nearest bar, it really isn't a pleasant road to ride on. Narrow, winding, with no shoulder and even the most alert motorist would be surprised to come up behind a cyclist. Plus, there's a b*****d of a hill for the first 2 miles on the way back.

Mrs Shotgun rarely drinks and is quite amenable to taking the wheel when I want more than 1 or 2 but for the most part, I do my drinking at home. 

That all sounds pretty idyllic apart from the not being able to stagger back home a few miles from the pub part. Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything.

P.S. Just noticed you're only 7 miles from the bar, fucking light weight.  :P

That all sounds pretty idyllic apart from the not being able to stagger back home a few miles from the pub part. Not that I'm an alcoholic or anything.

P.S. Just noticed you're only 7 miles from the bar, fucking light weight.  :P

:lol: Yeah, I'm gettin' soft in me old age. There was a time when even that hill wouldn't have stopped me.

Your profile says you're in Colorado. You don't even need a drink when you can be off your tits on the ganja 24/7!

Couldn't get me a job out there could you? ;)

I even wrote a paragraph about that but then decided to delete it.  :)  Colorado's economy is booming as a result of legalized weed and it drives the Republicans batshit because they're desperate for an excuse to overturn the law.

Getting the house decorated (thanks for the donation grimbo), we picked 4 samples of wallpaper And both agreed on one straight away, and likewise with the paint. There were no arguments. Very odd.

No probs Philpy, I get to keep the gift aid mind.

Grimbo

Not as bad for me as I live in the suburban sprawl outside of Chicago, but not being able to go for a sociable pint or 5 (without taking the car) was one of the things that made it easy to just give up the drink completely. (Well that and the fact that I was a raging alkie and it was affecting my health)

Edited by Raidernation

Not as bad for me as I live in the suburban sprawl outside of Chicago, but not being able to go for a sociable pint or 5 (without taking the car) was one of the things that made it easy to just give up the drink completely. (Well that and the fact that I was a raging alkie and it was affecting my health)

What's Chicago like? Got a notion to visit it