Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I held back commenting last night, throbber, as you always get upset when someone slags off a wetherspoons. But it's really shite.

The new one really isn't shite - I can't imagine anyone going In there thinking it's a shit hole. I sat in one of the comfy chairs as you go in on the right and it was just lovely, going to take my girlfriend there next weekend for lunch.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I held back commenting last night, throbber, as you always get upset when someone slags off a wetherspoons. But it's really shite.

Wetherspoons is okay if you want a pint of 2 with some average food. Having an entire afternoon or night boozing in one would be horrific.

Wetherspoons is okay if you want a pint of 2 with some average food. Having an entire afternoon or night boozing in one would be horrific.

If you sat foot in this one you wouldn't have believed it was a Wetherspoons, it's an old theatre in case you don't know the building and it really feels rather glamorous. £3.90 for a San Miguel though, also when I was in there yesterday a member of staff accused me of stealing a pint.

Yeah, I don't mind it when I go round the corner just to get some cheap, but reasonable standard, food.

Pisses me off when I'm in a new town or city and someone suggests Wetherspoons (usually because they're cheap or don't involve much of a walk from the station). If I'm somewhere new I want to at least get a vague sampling of what the place is like. If we are going to a fucking Wetherspoons then we may as well have just stayed in Birmingham, as they all look exactly the same.

3 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

No jake ball atmosphere but the staff are accusing you of stealing pints? I don't want to suggest that's just what they thought of you in that case.

Not sure what the issue was - i think someone had poured a pint and some opportunist ran away with it. Not the sort of thing i would do though. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

If you sat foot in this one you wouldn't have believed it was a Wetherspoons, it's an old theatre in case you don't know the building and it really feels rather glamorous. £3.90 for a San Miguel though, also when I was in there yesterday a member of staff accused me of stealing a pint.

I once accused a drunk old man who complained that he hadn't had his whisky of drinking it on the sly. It got a bit heated and his son intervened and paid for another one. A bit later I realised I'd taken his glass away with the empties. Kept schtum and still feel guilty about it.

The new one really isn't shite - I can't imagine anyone going In there thinking it's a shit hole. I sat in one of the comfy chairs as you go in on the right and it was just lovely, going to take my girlfriend there next weekend for lunch.

I didn't say it was a shithole, I said it was shite.

It's the same as every other wetherspoons; bland, soulless and depressing.

I hope you two have a lovely egg and chips X

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

I didn't say it was a shithole, I said it was shite.

It's the same as every other wetherspoons; bland, soulless and depressing.

I hope you two have a lovely egg and chips X

What pubs do you actually like then? 

I can accept that you feel this way about most Wetherspoons but this one is different and very quirky. 

I don't think my girlfriend will actually want to come, she feels the same way as people on here about Wetherspoons. 

Just now, throbber said:

I can accept that you feel this way about most Wetherspoons but this one is different and very quirky. 

I don't think my girlfriend will actually want to come, she feels the same way as people on here about Wetherspoons. 

Pubs are all of a muchness, throbber. I'd never refuse to go in anywhere unless it's extremely dodgy. But if I'm going to shout about how good one is, it certainly wouldn't be that new Wetherspoons. 

But if you're looking for a place to take the missus, then try Bourbon/Ninja Kitchen on Fredrick Street. 

16 minutes ago, throbber said:

Throbs, you live in a city that has countless great pubs.  There's a boozer that will cater to almost everyone's tastes.  Maybe not the far right, Swastika adorned, bierhalle that you're looking for, but pretty much everyone.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Never even heard of that but might give it a visit. Was at a pub called the Bailey in Stockbridge last Sunday and i liked that a great deal. I pretty much like every pub i go into so I'm not exclusive to Wetherspoons. 

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Throbs, you live in a city that has countless great pubs.  There's a boozer that will cater to almost everyone's tastes.  Maybe not the far right, Swastika adorned, bierhalle that you're looking for, but pretty much everyone.

:lol: I go to a variety of different pubs though and totally agree there are great pubs everywhere in town, I had just wanted to visit this particular one as it was new and it is convenient for me, i like how theres a big open space as there are many pubs that feel quite claustrophobic. 

If I'm in an unfamiliar city and have been walking around for hours shopping with the Mrs, I consider the sight of a Wetherspoons on the horizon to be a a safe, if unspectacular, haven to get a seat and a decent pint to rest the legs. It's a beacon of meh within the minefield of wanky gastropubkitchens which have taken over most towns in the last few years.

I wouldn't plan to go out for a meal or a day on the drink with mates in Wetherspoons but they have their place.