Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I'm sure I remember Super Star Wars for the Super Nintendo selling for £70-£80 back in the early Nineties. One of the many reasons you were better off with a Mega Drive/home computer until the SNES had been out for a few years. Let's not get on to the Neo Geo - anyone who had one of those was a spoiled w**k.

If anyone's wondering how games can be a similar or cheaper price to 25 years ago, it's because they sell more copies now. As we all get older, the market gets bigger.

I'm sure I remember Super Star Wars for the Super Nintendo selling for £70-£80 back in the early Nineties. One of the many reasons you were better off with a Mega Drive/home computer until the SNES had been out for a few years. Let's not get on to the Neo Geo - anyone who had one of those was a spoiled w**k.
If anyone's wondering how games can be a similar or cheaper price to 25 years ago, it's because they sell more copies now. As we all get older, the market gets bigger.
Aye Snes games could be pricey. I remember my mate persuading his parents to shell out £65 for super street fighter 2. Wasnt a patch on MK2 had for half the price on the mega drive.

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

Aye Snes games could be pricey. I remember my mate persuading his parents to shell out £65 for super street fighter 2. Wasnt a patch on MK2 had for half the price on the mega drive.

It was a lovely machine once it had been out for a few years and you could pick up the games used, but I can't imagine paying that kind of money for a computer game.

Let's ignore the fact that I spent £100 on a collector's edition from a poster on here, and would consider doing the same if they released one for Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2  :lol:

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

That's not even the first copy of the game I had. My dad took us on a shopping day out, which sadly were all too many boring days normally to Perth or Kirkcaldy where we would just walk round and browse a load of junk. We were in Woolworth's in the Mercat centre and they were doing a deal you were getting 2 Platinum games for £20.

Also got the original Driver, which was brilliant at the time. 

Woolworths was usually the highlight of a trip around the mercat. 

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

For years the price of a new PC game was £30 which let me feel smug looking at concole players paying double but it seems to be creeping up to £45- £50 even 60+ quid for some of the anime stuff that I guess they know weeaboos will buy.

I wonder if this is partly because so many folk buy in steam sales so they need more Dosh per unit sold initially to be considered successful?

Aye, PC games were quite cheap towards the end of the big box era, but apparently sales were poor in comparison to the consoles, and supposedly piracy was rife so presumably that held prices in check. Funny, everyone I knew with a console in the late Nineties had it chipped to run pirate games.

I hear PC sales are good again these days but, aye, I've wondered about how they manage to reduce games so drastically. Maybe it's like the film industry; apparently all the producers care about is the initial box-office take, and everything after (rental, DVD sales) is gravy. Delicious gravy, but nonetheless a delightful bonus rather than the meal of the meal.

Edit: meat of the meal. FFS.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, PC games were quite cheap towards the end of the big box era, but apparently sales were poor in comparison to the consoles, and supposedly piracy was rife so presumably that held prices in check. Funny, everyone I knew with a console in the late Nineties had it chipped to run pirate games.

I hear PC sales are good again these days but, aye, I've wondered about how they manage to reduce games so drastically. Maybe it's like the film industry; apparently all the producers care about is the initial box-office take, and everything after (rental, DVD sales) is gravy. Delicious gravy, but nonetheless a delightful bonus rather than the meal of the meal.

Don’t lots of games now rely on bolt-ons, skins, in-game purchases etc these days?

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Don’t lots of games now rely on bolt-ons, skins, in-game purchases etc these days?

Aye, very good point.

You'd think I'd remember that, considering I watch Jim Sterling's videos.

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, very good point.

You'd think I'd remember that, considering I watch Jim Sterling's videos.

Shudder to think how much Par Jr has spent on a game called Star Stable. It’s like a 12a version of GTA but with horses.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Shudder to think how much Par Jr has spent on a game called Star Stable. It’s like a 12a version of GTA but with horses.

I'm going to sound ancient here, but I really can't be fucked with freemium games. Give me a product, I pay for it, take your money and leave me to enjoy it. I hate the idea of having to keep paying an indeterminate amount in order to make a game enjoyable.

I could never be arsed with stuff like World of Warcraft for that same reason. Seems like an absolute chore, and there's no fixed limit on how much you have to pay to see everything? Bargain; sign me up.

I'm going to sound ancient here, but I really can't be fucked with freemium games. Give me a product, I pay for it, take your money and leave me to enjoy it. I hate the idea of having to keep paying an indeterminate amount in order to make a game enjoyable.
I could never be arsed with stuff like World of Warcraft for that same reason. Seems like an absolute chore, and there's no fixed limit on how much you have to pay to see everything? Bargain; sign me up.
Aye f**k that shit. I've paid for less than a handful of add ons or whatever in my whole life. Those included Skyrim and Witcher 3 so I got my absolute money's worth with the hours spent.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Aye f**k that shit. I've paid for less than a handful of add ons or whatever in my whole life. Those included Skyrim and Witcher 3 so I got my absolute money's worth with the hours spent.

Downloadable content's a different matter. If you want to try to sell me an additional part of a game after I've bought and enjoyed it, feel free.

Slightly muddies the water when a publisher hives off important parts of a finished game to sell separately, but I guess it's my fault if I fall for that shit.