Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

I found a pair of fleece-lined trousers at home the other day, which I'd bought perhaps a few years back, hadn't taken the tags off, and had completely forgotten about.

Started wearing them yesterday for a laugh, and it's a total game changer around the house.  Warm and cosy (even outdoors in 9C) with no need for the heating on.  Wish I'd started this years ago.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I found a pair of fleece-lined trousers at home the other day, which I'd bought perhaps a few years back, hadn't taken the tags off, and had completely forgotten about.

Started wearing them yesterday for a laugh, and it's a total game changer around the house.  Warm and cosy (even outdoors in 9C) with no need for the heating on.  Wish I'd started this years ago.

MV5BMTk5Nzc0ODM0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODY4

Our electricity has been off from 8.30 this morning.  By a massive stroke of misfortune we did our big monthly shop Tuesday and yesterday and there’s loads of stuff in the freezer.

Mrs Granny is freaking out a bit.  “What can we do?” she is asking.  The response of “Hope that it comes back on soon.” is not going down a bundle.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Our electricity has been off from 8.30 this morning.  By a massive stroke of misfortune we did our big monthly shop Tuesday and yesterday and there’s loads of stuff in the freezer.

Mrs Granny is freaking out a bit.  “What can we do?” she is asking.  The response of “Hope that it comes back on soon.” is not going down a bundle.

Common enough occurrence where I am - pile in a pack of ice cubes and buy a cooler block for future occurrences. 

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

By shopping you mean wine?

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Common enough occurrence where I am - pile in a pack of ice cubes and buy a cooler block for future occurrences. 

We could do that but in reality the freezer when closed, even with the power off, is as effective at stopping/minimising defrosting as any other alternative.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just pay the bill 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Scant consolation perhaps, but if the worst comes to the worst the household insurance most likely covers that sort of loss. Take pictures of the packed freezer now as evidence, as experience tells me that insurance companies are not the most trusting of souls. If you can put all the expensive stuff like fillet steaks and caviar at the top, so much the better 😉

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We could do that but in reality the freezer when closed, even with the power off, is as effective at stopping/minimising defrosting as any other alternative.

Right, I was more concerned about the stuff in the freezer box itself rather than the fridge section.  From our various experiences, the fridge will hold up for a good few hours as long as you don't keep opening the door.  If you have a cooler block, or a bunch of ice as a last resort, this will keep the freezer box fine for a good number of hours.  

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Scant consolation perhaps, but if the worst comes to the worst the household insurance most likely covers that sort of loss. Take pictures of the packed freezer now as evidence, as experience tells me that insurance companies are not the most trusting of souls. If you can put all the expensive stuff like fillet steaks and caviar at the top, so much the better 😉

I’d rather lose a couple of hundred euros than have a conversation with a Spanish claims adjuster.  I’ll reserve that pleasure and the insurance for a major incident.

BTW we have lovely fillet steak (sole milo for some reason) in the freezer but I’ve never had the urge to try caviar.

31 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Remember also to stand in front of the freezer with a suitable compo face on. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

As long as it returns within a reasonable period, it’s actually good you just stuffed it full. A full freezer of goods will remain at an acceptable temperature much longer due to the sheer mass of frozen goods. A good, full freezer can actually last nearly 48 hours if not opened…a half full one about 24 hours…however, those times are for medium to large units, a smaller freezer will warm faster.