Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

When I punched out of the workforce two years ago, the biggest change was the spending mindset. Working in a secure job with reasonable pay, you could, to a certain extent, buy because you liked it. Retired, the income is fixed, no overtime or extra shifts, it rises by less than inflation yearly, and you have to actually figure if you can afford that splurge. Also, life changes can hit much harder in retirement…losing a good portion of one’s assets and pension is not uncommon these days, and there’s a constant calculation of if you can still get enough hookers and blow, or are you going to have to rejoin the workforce.

So far an adjustment of the quantity and quality of the hookers and blow, respectively, are working out.

I’m kind of liking your priorities. 

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

When I punched out of the workforce two years ago, the biggest change was the spending mindset. Working in a secure job with reasonable pay, you could, to a certain extent, buy because you liked it. Retired, the income is fixed, no overtime or extra shifts, it rises by less than inflation yearly, and you have to actually figure if you can afford that splurge. Also, life changes can hit much harder in retirement…losing a good portion of one’s assets and pension is not uncommon these days, and there’s a constant calculation of if you can still get enough hookers and blow, or are you going to have to rejoin the workforce.

So far an adjustment of the quantity and quality of the hookers and blow, respectively, are working out.

One of the problems with retiring early (from my experience when I tried it at 50) is that not only do your funds have to last longer, you are less able to downsize your lifestyle than when you are 65.  Interest rates and exchange rates both going South was the final nail in the coffin to my early retirement (as well as the boredom that sets in from time-to-time when you're too young to sit around all day and not rich enough to do whatever you like).  So, yep, I rejoined the workforce much the wiser for the experience.  

I know someone who retired from police at 48. Has basically sat on sofa since.

When Dad retired at 62 ish so not early he was able to take on a bit more of the admin stuff of his hobbies. That gave his week (and brain) some structure to it. Fort William brough him so much joy in retirement ........

28 minutes ago, RH33 said:

When Dad retired at 62 ish so not early he was able to take on a bit more of the admin stuff of his hobbies. That gave his week (and brain) some structure to it. Fort William brough him so much joy in retirement ........

Was he around when they won a game occasionally? 

1 hour ago, RH33 said:

There was a Tory in Alloa when I was growing up. He always stood for election, and always lost. He described himself as a "retired police officer". 

He was asked to resign at the age of 25...

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

There was a Tory in Alloa when I was growing up. He always stood for election, and always lost. He described himself as a "retired police officer". 

He was asked to resign at the age of 25...

Was that before or after the force found out he was a Tory?

This is from the BBC website about the ‘crumbly’ schools in England.

Some more comments now from Prof Chris Goodier, concrete expert at Loughborough University, who spoke to BBC Breakfast earlier.

Nice to see there are real concrete experts out there.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is from the BBC website about the ‘crumbly’ schools in England.

Some more comments now from Prof Chris Goodier, concrete expert at Loughborough University, who spoke to BBC Breakfast earlier.

Nice to see there are real concrete experts out there.

I have been hearing rumours about crumbly buildings for a while now, but nothing concrete.

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

when you're too young to sit around all day

I must have bypassed this stage of development.

58 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have been hearing rumours about crumbly buildings for a while now, but nothing concrete.

I'm guessing it's entirely without foundation.

Probably explains why they're falling down.

1 minute ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

ICT have been on the go since 1973? Well, the things you never knew. 

Haha indeed, although they just claim the supporter's club has been, although that would indeed suggest that the club has been on the go at least since then too.

Which it hasn't. To be fair they are not far off 30 years, which is enough to be established I think (apologies to Inverness Thistle and Inverness Caley fans; I didn't vote!).

Edited by DA Baracus