Procycling thread

myshkin

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Girmay penalised & demoted to third; a group of three contested the points, Girmay, his team mate Mentjes & Mathews.

Can only assume there was a cash prize associated with it too?🤷‍♂️

It's about €500 for an intermediate, isn't it?

21 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Cavendish in trouble again, already 35 minutes plus behind and still to get over the final two climbs. 

Might be dependent on how many riders are in the groupetto?

1 minute ago, kiddy said:

Might be dependent on how many riders are in the groupetto?

Doesn't sound as if there are many, they said there were around 35 in Girmay's group.

Got to feel sorry for Vingegaard, does all the work only for Pogacar to ride away from him. Taking a fair chunk of time from Remco though.

Edited by peasy23

Comes down to preparation & conditioning. Everybody knew the question marks over Vingegaard coming into it, & also Pogi off the back of an imperious Giro. 
Think today nails who’s been most affected this time round.

12 minutes ago, stanton said:

The king  of cutting it fine does it again Cav makes it home  just under the time limit 

About 2 mins inside, De Mare was 45 secs apparently! Though Cav looked completely gubbed.

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It's about €500 for an intermediate, isn't it?

Phil Liggett used to mention the cash prizes for intermediate sprints/categorised climbs every time they were contested, but it very seldom gets mentioned in commentary now.

Vingegaard has been doubly fucked by the Basque crash and half his team missing out.

That said, I’m not sure with his team he beats Pog and UAE in this form.

For me, if Vingegaard could take back time on this stage, he could do it again next week a few times. If Pog got up the road and  put more time into him then I don’t see that changing next week. 

If Pog seals this, even with the Olympics and Worlds still to come, I’d put that up there with one of the best seasons from anyone in recent years.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Does Pogi do la Vuelta is he wins this? Worth a pop surely?

Or go for Olympic Gold, as that’s once every four years.

74CEDA3C-8C1E-4F31-BCA2-30652D7B861E.webp

8A629F0E-3CEA-4946-87C8-3CA97A031F1E.webp

Edited by kiddy

Giro-Tour-Worlds is the traditional "triple crown" but Giro-Tour-Olympics is a recognised alternative. Although that's only because the Vuelta is relatively young and nobody has been daft enough to try and win all three in a year (Froome of course did all three in a row but over two seasons - still in under a year - by doing Tour-Vuelta-Giro and gave the four in a row effort a good go at the Tour). I think Pogacar knows his history so would be tempted by either the Worlds or the Olympics but there's also the chance to make sporting history if he goes to Spain. On this form, you wouldn't put it past him. Remember he's already won Strade Bianche and Liege-Bastone-Liege this year!

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I think Pog has already said he’s prioritising the Olympics over Vuelta.

Liege, Strade, Giro, Tour, Olympics would be an insane season by anybody’s standards.

Would tend to think so. Turning 26 in September he’s only 3 goes max at OG, the Worlds are every year.

Great stage yesterday and also today. Biggest thing of note yesterday was Remco pulling clear of Vinegaard on a climb (and Tadej, but he wasn't fussed) which is interesting in and of itself. 

Also forgot to post this cracking photo I saw on Musk's binfire of a social media network:

Screenshot_20240717_114926_X.thumb.jpg.a4ef376aeab476b40e5df162412cc31a.jpg

Note the mirror.