Procycling thread

myshkin

Before I forget, hope Max Schachmann is alright too, after a car entered the course cut right in front of him! Looked like he injured his shoulder, which could put paid to his Tour entry. It was utterly bizarre as well.

Edited by kiddy

The old dear driving the car at least looked apologetic. [emoji23]

Before I forget, hope Max Schachmann is alright too, after a car entered the course cut right in front of him! Looked like he injured his shoulder, which could put paid to his Tour entry. It was utterly bizarre as well.

Bernal, Buchmann & Kruswijk all withdraw from Dauphine. Bernal didn't start, due to a bad back. the other two have crashed, with the Dutchman dislocating a shoulder. Roglic has crashed, later, but is still racing. Mostly appears to be road rash, elbow, hip & a lot of ripped lycra.

Roglic not starting the final stage.

Makes sense not to risk him in the final day, similar to INEOS with Bernal, especially with the 3 grand tours all being bunched over the next 2 months. Hopefully for Jumbo-Visma he does make the Tour to mount a challenge to INEOS, although Dumoulin could be a GC contender in his own right. They aren't having much luck in putting together their strongest team if Kruijswijk is out as well. 

Alaphilippe seems to be getting back to form over the past couple days as well to hopefully see him bopping about the mountains of the Tour. If Roglic, Bernal et al are struggling for the Tour, this is the year for Pinot after his probable Dauphine win today.

Edited by buddie06smfc

So Bernal leading the tour squad for ineos, Thomas the Giro and Froome the vuelta. No massive surprises there. Have to say, on paper, the ineos squad going to the tour looks very very strong. Carapaz will be understandably disappointed he isn't getting to lead at a GT but would imagine he'll be automatic leader in the races Bernal doesn't want to race next year. Sivakov, Amador, Carapaz as mountain domestiques isn't bad when you throw in van Baarle and Kwiatkowski who can pretty much do a bit of anything.

When Froome signed for Israel Start-up Nation for next season, his TdF selection was in doubt. His time losses in recent races, even though he was riding as a domestique,  were much bigger than expected.

The real surprise is that Thomas has been bumped off the Tour team by Brailsford. His form is not too bad and, at the Dauphine, he finished ahead of Kwiatowski in the GC.  I can see him concentrating on the classics after this season.

Carapaz will be disappointed that he won't be defending his Giro title to be a domestique for Bernal. 

When Froome signed for Israel Start-up Nation for next season, his TdF selection was in doubt. His time losses in recent races, even though he was riding as a domestique,  were much bigger than expected.
The real surprise is that Thomas has been bumped off the Tour team by Brailsford. His form is not too bad and, at the Dauphine, he finished ahead of Kwiatowski in the GC.  I can see him concentrating on the classics after this season.
Carapaz will be disappointed that he won't be defending his Giro title to be a domestique for Bernal. 

I think Carapaz will be anything but a Domestique at the Tour. As per the last couple of years, the leader will be sorted out through who's positioned best going into the last week.

No way is Froome going to the Tour. Roglic just shows Ineos a clean pair of heels in today's Dauphine, after Ineos tried to ride everyone off the wheels & failed miserably. Thomas looks some way off contender form as well.
In fact, going by the early season form. I'd send Carapaz to France, Bernal to the Giro & leave the Vuelta open for competition, as to who leads their team.
Not far off the mark.

Confirmed Kruijswijk won't be fit for the tour. Weakens jumbo visma no doubt but still plenty of climbing help for Roglic in the shape of Bennett dumoulin and kuss. I'd like to see Bennett be properly supported at a grand tour to see how well he could really do

Cavendish not selected for the Tour again.
I've accepted that he won't win another tour stage. Difficult to see him having a ride next season actually, no real form for the past 2 years to entice teams plus younger, cheaper, options about. The era of him, griepel etc is over. Bennett, schachman, Ewen all today's men now unfortunately.

Cavendish not selected for the Tour again.
I've accepted that he won't win another tour stage. Difficult to see him having a ride next season actually, no real form for the past 2 years to entice teams plus younger, cheaper, options about. The era of him, griepel etc is over. Bennett, schachman, Ewen all today's men now unfortunately.
I'd expect him to retire at the seasons end. Or try qualifying for a final go at the Olympics.

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:
16 hours ago, kiddy said:
I'd expect him to retire at the seasons end. Or try qualifying for a final go at the Olympics.

Olympics are probably his best chance of achieving anything else major, definitely can't see him adding to his 30 Tour stage wins.

Thinking about it again, yeah, he should defo concentrate on the Olympics. He was caught out trying to extend his road career & missed out on selection for Tokyo. Covid might just  provide  a silver lining in the twilight of his career. Tunnel vision on the target could well prove fruitful for him. 

Adam Yates signed for Ineos - Simon signed a new extension at Mitchelton-Scott. Does suggest Thomas's days at the Grand Tours are over. Classics for him next season, or maybe a return to the track?
Adam doesn't seem to have kicked on in grand tours the way Simon did. I think if he's going to be a GT rider for ineos then it'll largely be as a super domestique for carapaz, Bernal and probably sivakov in the future. He'll likely get to lead at one week stage races a la tour of Britain and Paris - Nice

I thought boardman had taken a step back from the TV coverage after last year? Or is it cos they are covering from the UK?
That's what he said anyway - although aren't they still covering it from France? Normally I'd watch it all live as I'd be off work but I'm only able to see the highlights and it looked like they were in Nice? Kennaught isn't good enough to do it on his own so maybe they persuaded him to do one more year.