Procycling thread

myshkin

On 19/09/2020 at 02:50, jaggyness said:

How do people feel about bonus seconds at the tour? I'll be honest, personally, I wish they'd get rid of them. Weirdly don't bother me at the other two grand tours but I guess it's just I always grew up in tours without them. Plus I always felt it presented a truer picture of who was deservedly at the top of the overall.

I get what you mean about the time gaps, it feels a bit artificial, especially when for a lot of this race, the leader was only there because of the time bonuses. Would have been more exciting without them. 

On the other hand, on stages where leaders go head to head, it makes it more exciting. If leaders riding are on each other’s wheels, it is very difficult to get enough of a gap to gain even 1 second , so when their isn’t time bonuses, they don’t offer race flat out to the line. With the time bonus, even being a tyre widths in front can net a few precious seconds. It also means leaders are more likely to go for stage wins , challengers join breakaways etc.

Jury still out for me but I would be leaning towards keeping them as they can lead to more interesting racing. 

World TT champ Chloe Dygert had a really bad crash as she tried to defend her title yesterday. She tweeted a picture of the damage, feel free to go and search it out if you like. [emoji33]

The crash is in the highlights here.

World Road Championships: Anna Van der Breggen wins world time trial after Chloe Dygert crash - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cycling/54287091

ETA: she had no chance, apparently her back tyre punctured as she was going round a downhill right hander.

Some mighty impressive signings by ineos for next year. Porte, De Plus and Martinez for mountains and Tom pidcock looks like he can do just about anything. Kind of looks like the end of Thomas as a grand tour leader. Martinez, Carapaz, Bernal, Sivakov and arguably Dennis would, you imagine, all be ahead of him in the Ineos pecking order.

ETA: never mind Yates who I forgot was also joining!

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Some mighty impressive signings by ineos for next year. Porte, De Plus and Martinez for mountains and Tom pidcock looks like he can do just about anything. Kind of looks like the end of Thomas as a grand tour leader. Martinez, Carapaz, Bernal, Sivakov and arguably Dennis would, you imagine, all be ahead of him in the Ineos pecking order.

ETA: never mind Yates who I forgot was also joining!

Thomas just posted a decent ITT at the World Champ's.

Comes 4th ahead of Dennis but behind Ganna, Van Aert & Keung.

Edited by kiddy

Thomas just posted a decent ITT at the World Champ's.
Comes 4th ahead of Dennis but behind Ganna, Van Aert & Keung.
Yes I know, it was more from an all round point, including age, that I think G's leading days at ineos are numbered. Ganna is the natural successor to Kiriyenka at ineos. Every squad needs a big engine for flat stages or those with potential cross winds. See declercq and Martin as almost always picked as prime examples.

Here's the photo finish, it got worse for Alaphillipe as he was relegated to 5th fir his move across in the sprint.

Can easily see why the WC was relegated to 5th. He defo impeded Hirschi & Pogacar's sprints.
He has since apologised, acknowledging it better to be relegated from 2nd than 1st.
Don't think he'll ever make the same mistake, on the line again?