Procycling thread

myshkin

About 2km of the full route able to be broadcast. Eurosport will do well to fill 15 mins of their allotted hour highlights show.

Bernal is looking spectacular, barring any disaster he may well have secured the Giro today. One day Hugh Carthy will win me some money on a stage win after I missed his Angliru win.
Better off watching it on Quest right now, save waiting until 21.30?
Seems to be Eurosport coverage anyway!

Better off watching it on Quest right now, save waiting until 21.30?
Seems to be Eurosport coverage anyway!
I don't have Eurosport or GCN+ so I've been watching the Highlights on Quest for a few years now. Its the Eurosport package (think both channels are owned by Diacovery) although they don't exactly advertise it.

First sign of any weakness from Bernal today although he only lost 3 seconds to Caruso. Could allow Yates to gap him.but would probably have preferred to have lost less than the 53 seconds Yates closed by. Realistically though I would say Yates would need to be 30 seconds plus ahead of Bernal after stage 20 to be a favourite for pink. A long flat ITT is not going to help him on the final stage.

Overnight DQS announced Evenepoel was withdrawing after his crash yesterday. Coming into a race as tough as the Giro without any competitive racing is mental, more so when you've had a serious accident and it's your first grand tour.

Overnight DQS announced Evenepoel was withdrawing after his crash yesterday. Coming into a race as tough as the Giro without any competitive racing is mental, more so when you've had a serious accident and it's your first grand tour.
I thought DQS made a big mistake by making Remco leader. Even after Almeida dropping time in the first couple of stages, it should have been the opposite way about.

I thought DQS made a big mistake by making Remco leader. Even after Almeida dropping time in the first couple of stages, it should have been the opposite way about.
I wonder how much of Almeida being announced as likely to leave at the end of the season (along with Bennett) right before the start of the Giro had to do with that

Caruso takes the stage by 20 sec's from Bernal.  All the other GC contenders distanced.

Glad he took the stage win, as he rolled the dice, in jumping on Bardet's attack & made the race. 

Shame it never gained more than 50 secs, but that was more down to Ineos not panicking.

Edited by kiddy

Top 10 looks pretty locked in, only Bardet/Martinez in 5/6th are within 10 sec's of each other.
Martinez was a real motm ride today. Kept a really good pace and Bernal really only had to put his nose in the wind for the last 1500m or so. I didn't think he looked a GC before this race but could see him leading ineos at whichever of the Giro/Vuelta Carapaz/Bernal doesn't want to ride in the future.

Top 10 looks pretty locked in, only Bardet/Martinez in 5/6th are within 10 sec's of each other.
Also given everyone around him is a far superior time triallist I wouldn't be surprised to see Carthy, Martinez and Almeida climb above Bardet in GC tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
57 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Martinez was a real motm ride today. Kept a really good pace and Bernal really only had to put his nose in the wind for the last 1500m or so. I didn't think he looked a GC before this race but could see him leading ineos at whichever of the Giro/Vuelta Carapaz/Bernal doesn't want to ride in the future.

Would have to improve his descending. A good back up though.