Procycling thread

myshkin

Who knew Lutsenko had such a time trial ability on him.
2 secs down on Kelderman at the time check, yet 14 up by the finish. 9 down on Thomas, yet 23 up by the end.
No mobile cameras on his ride, but did pick up two minute men by the last km, get my draught?

2 secs down on Kelderman at the time check, yet 14 up by the finish. 9 down on Thomas, yet 23 up by the end.
No mobile cameras on his ride, but did pick up two minute men by the last km, get my draught?
Thomas admitted that he went out too hard and was blowing by the latter stages

Lutsenko was nowhere near it in TTs earlier in the season at Romandie, Basque Country and Paris-Nice perhaps he just had an incredible day & the lumpy second half of the course suited him.

In other hilarious news, Bradley Wiggins is out their touting himself to become a doctor. He’ll be well placed with his knowledge of asthma and allergies at least. Guess there will be injections dished out regardless of the issue at his practice.

Looks like Bernals fading form reason has come to the fore. He's tested positive for Covid, ahead if his intended travelling back to Colombia!
I thought it was more likely he'd caught it from.jumping about with everyone and anyone celebrating

Ineos looking imperious in the warm up races for the tour. After winning the dauphine with Porte and Thomas coming 3rd, they lead the tour de suisse with Carapaz. Going to be interesting to see who gets left out of the tour squad by them. Carapaz, Thomas, porte, geoghegan hart and Rowe are certs. You'd imagine Dennis and Kwiatkowski are as well. Only leaves one spot open.

Ineos looking imperious in the warm up races for the tour. After winning the dauphine with Porte and Thomas coming 3rd, they lead the tour de suisse with Carapaz. Going to be interesting to see who gets left out of the tour squad by them. Carapaz, Thomas, porte, geoghegan hart and Rowe are certs. You'd imagine Dennis and Kwiatkowski are as well. Only leaves one spot open.
I'd think Van Baarle or Sivakov. His early withdrawal from the Giro would suggest the latter.

I'd think Van Baarle or Sivakov. His early withdrawal from the Giro would suggest the latter.
Both cracking options to be fair. It looks like Junbo Visma (and to a lesser extent Bahrain and Movistar) spooked them into properly loading their squad. They could put out three totally different teams in all three Grand Tours that would be able to dominate and still have the odd rider left out entirely. I take it Radcliffe has increased their budget yet again? How long before a salary cap in cycling?

The interesting thing is that UAE should be stronger this time round as well with potentially Dombrowski, Conti, Polanc and Hirschi riding to support Pogacar. Certainly a much stronger team than the one he had last year.

The interesting thing is that UAE should be stronger this time round as well with potentially Dombrowski, Conti, Polanc and Hirschi riding to support Pogacar. Certainly a much stronger team than the one he had last year.
Watching them dominate in Slovenia just now, with Majka, Ulissi, Polanc, Trentin & Olivera, backing Pojacar.
He's then targeting his Nationals, before the Tour.

Watching them dominate in Slovenia just now, with Majka, Ulissi, Polanc, Trentin & Olivera, backing Pojacar.
He's then targeting his Nationals, before the Tour.
Majka I'd forgotten about. I just wondered if the likes of Trentin was a good fit in a GC team. He's very similar to how Kwiatkowski was before he joined sky/ineos. Ulissi rode the giro which is why I didn't include him.

To fair I'd almost forgotten about UAE totally! Pogacar seemed to just freelance his way to victory at times last year with no domestiques to help him then obviously had a fantastic TT while Roglic faltered, so the fact he actually has a decent team round him is something I'd totally discounted.

So, the guardian are predicting the ineos tour team as Thomas, Carapaz, TGH, Porte, Rowe, Castroviejo, Dennis and Kwiatkowski. A serious amount of fire power. Interesting stat I read yesterday, Ineos/Sky have never won a grand tour that Pogacar has ridden!

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:

So, the guardian are predicting the ineos tour team as Thomas, Carapaz, TGH, Porte, Rowe, Castroviejo, Dennis and Kwiatkowski. A serious amount of fire power. Interesting stat I read yesterday, Ineos/Sky have never won a grand tour that Pogacar has ridden!

To be fair, he's only ridden 2 Grand Tours & Sky sent David de La Cruz as TL to the 2019 Vuelta. Whilst Bernal pulled out of the 2020 Tour with back problems.

On 15/06/2021 at 14:15, jaggyness said:

Pretty meaningless imho. Pogacar has only ridden in the 2019 Vuelta (3rd, won by Roglic) and the 2020 TdF. Geraint Thomas's training was affected by Covid and he was not fit enough to start the 2020 Tour.  Froome was out too after his terrible crash at the Dauphine.

Ineos won the 2019 Giro, 2019 TdF, the 2020 Giro and the 2021 Giro. This year, Ineos will have 3 GT winners from 2018-2020 (Thomas, Caparaz and Geoghegan-Hart ) plus Porte at the Tour.

I expect the Tour's  GC to be a close battle between Pogacar, Roglic, Thomas and Carapaz. With Bernal winning. the Giro comfortably, Ineos will be. tough to beat.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Pretty meaningless imho. Pogacar has only ridden in the 2019 Vuelta (3rd, won by Roglic) and the 2020 TdF. Geraint Thomas's training was affected by Covid and he was not fit enough to start the 2020 Tour.  Froome was out too after his terrible crash at the Dauphine.
Ineos won the 2019 Giro, 2019 TdF, the 2020 Giro and the 2021 Giro. This year, Ineos will have 3 GT winners from 2018-2020 (Thomas, Caparaz and Geoghegan-Hart ) plus Porte at the Tour.
I expect the Tour's  GC to be a close battle between Pogacar, Roglic, Thomas and Carapaz. With Bernal winning. the Giro comfortably, Ineos will be. tough to beat.

Both UAE & Jumbo Visma's eggs are pretty much in one basket, via Pogacar & Roglic. Ineos have multiple cards to play. Though I think TGH & Carapaz will be used as domestiques. Their main thrust will come via Thomas & Porte.

As could be seen today, Cavagna's target of French Nationals ITT went up in smoke, with a double bike change. I think his mechanic might be getting it tight tonight.

6 minutes ago, kiddy said:
4 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Both UAE & Jumbo Visma's eggs are in one basket, via Pogacar & Roglic. Ineos have multiple cards to play. Though I think TGH & Carapaz will be used as domestiques. Their main thrust will come via Thomas & Porte.

That's possible but Porte usually has at least one bad day or a bad crash in a GT. 

If Carapaz is riding as a domestique, he will want to contest the GC  in the Vuelta but Bernal will probably be the leader.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

That's possible but Porte usually has at least one bad day or a bad crash in a GT. 
If Carapaz is riding as a domestique, he will want to contest the GC  in the Vuelta but Bernal will probably be the leader.
Think he'll be going to La Vuelta as the alternative. Martinez will be their main domestique there.

I got my facts wrong. It's ineos have never won any stage race Pogacar has competed in. There's no way after winning in Switzerland that Carapaz is going as anything other than a co leader. TGH and Porte will be mountain domestiques. Porte himself is on record as recognising he won't be a leader in GTs at ineos this time around.