Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Never seen this before. Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer at the Hydro tomorrow night. Email has come out saying doors open 6.30 and event starts at 6.30 as well. Surely the opening band Teen Mortgage aren't going to start at the same time as doors open? I'll likely be there by about 6, so hopefully just get in.

21 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Never seen this before. Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer at the Hydro tomorrow night. Email has come out saying doors open 6.30 and event starts at 6.30 as well. Surely the opening band Teen Mortgage aren't going to start at the same time as doors open? I'll likely be there by about 6, so hopefully just get in.

See that before for the hydro, it's B.S trying to make sure everyone is on early to waste money in their bars

14 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

See that before for the hydro, it's B.S trying to make sure everyone is on early to waste money in their bars

I believe that they'll be on early, they've been on at 6.20 every other night of the tour so far, I was expecting 5.30 doors to be honest.

4 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Weezer have been going on between 7.15 and 7.30 most nights, will be baking the effort to get down in time for them as it looks a proper greatest hits set.

Buses all booked for travel to Rammstein as well as a cheeky wee tour of the Jameson factory the day before. Must remember to not treat Euros like Monopoly money...

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Weezer have been going on between 7.15 and 7.30 most nights, will be baking the effort to get down in time for them as it looks a proper greatest hits set.

I'll definitely be there for Weezer, never managed to see them before, and as you said, the setlist looks brilliant.

3 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I'll definitely be there for Weezer, never managed to see them before, and as you said, the setlist looks brilliant.

I haven't seen them since 2005, when they were touring make believe. So very much looking forward to it.

Saw Beth Gibbons at Usher Hall last night, and it's now my favourite gig of 2024 so far. I really love her new album, and experiencing it live with such talented musicians was a delight. I was thrilled they played two of my favourite Portishead tracks, "Roads" and "The Rip". She received a standing ovation at the end of the gig.

Bill Ryder-Jones (The Coral) was fantastic as the supporting act. I really like his new album, and his acoustic set was excellent.

The Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer at the Hydro tonight.

The Pumpkins are spectacular musicians and Billy's voice is unchanged from 30 years ago. The big songs are fantastic. Technically brilliant, bit not the most exciting band to watch. Having said that, I really enjoyed them and glad I got to see them.

Weezer were phenomenal. Hit after hit after hit. Loved them for 25 years and somehow never managed to see them before. The wait was worth it. Rivers is one of rock's most prolific and iconic songwriters for a reason.

Opened by Teen Mortgage who I felt so bad for. For some reason the Hydro decided to open doors a full hour after the rest of the shows on the tour and Teen Mortgage actually started before doors officially opened with only us who bought OVO Live Presale tickets in the building. Then they only got 15 minutes. A fun band who made the most of a shambolic set of circumstances. 

20240612_200206.jpg

20240612_213458.jpg

It is a shame for that opening band but it sounds like they made a fist of it  and didn't let it  be a humiliation. Reality is someone puts up coin for a band to get their name associated with that bill and their profile alone wouldn't have them anywhere near. Hopefully they just enjoyed it.

Great evening last night at the Hydro. Substantial ticket price but a substantial show for the money. The pumpkins are technical wizards as @Craig fae the Vale mentioned. Jimmy Chamberlain is an absolute god. On a par with the modern rock greats like Danny Carey and Mike Portnoy. The issue was one of momentum. Billy Corgans is a contrarian and every time they played something "big". It would be followed by an extended version of something a bit more left field from the catalogue. We really, REALLY didn't need half a dozen songs from Atum last night.

That aside they played magnificently and BC seemed to be having a genuinely good time, even if he did look like a camp Nosferatu dad dancing with no guitar on at points 

Weezer had zero sequencing problems. They kept things barreling along beautifully. A brilliantly sequenced set. One wee gripe is that as much as Jimmy is the beating heart of the pumpkins and pulls them up, Pat is an absolute liability for Weezer. A god awful drummer who made several mistakes on songs that he's been playing for 30 years. That's embarrassing considering how simple his parts are.

Brilliant night overall.

I ruled out going to that pretty early doors on grounds of cost... one nagging doubt I'm left with is missing the chance to watch JC - he is the greatest.  All the reviews seem to confirm everything else though - Corgan has made some of my very favourite music but is a real bore.  Sounds like Weezer have really shown him up on this tour, giving people what they actually want.

1 hour ago, L. Brilliant said:

I ruled out going to that pretty early doors on grounds of cost... one nagging doubt I'm left with is missing the chance to watch JC - he is the greatest.  All the reviews seem to confirm everything else though - Corgan has made some of my very favourite music but is a real bore.  Sounds like Weezer have really shown him up on this tour, giving people what they actually want.

I nearly didn't buy a ticket due to the price before I noticed I could save nearly £30 to sit in the cheap seats, which ended up having a cracking view anyway.

No one can deny the quality of the Pumpkins' songs or the technical mastery they have of their instruments, but Weezer blew them away from a pure enjoyment point of view. Great band, but unless you're a huge fan you will find yourself losing interest during their set, it happened to me a couple of times, and an awful lot of people in my section were leaving from about 10.20 on, when they still had 40 minutes to go.

Anyone able to give parking recommendations for Bellahouston? I’m going to Green Day there in a couple of weeks. Was at their gig there 2 years ago and parked at Ibrox, but it was a nightmare to get out of the car park there. Anyone any decent suggestions for a swifter getaway?

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Anyone able to give parking recommendations for Bellahouston? I’m going to Green Day there in a couple of weeks. Was at their gig there 2 years ago and parked at Ibrox, but it was a nightmare to get out of the car park there. Anyone any decent suggestions for a swifter getaway?

The Asda car park across the motorway is probably better for that. If nothing else you'll be quicker going from Bellahouston, through the underpass back to your car than you would at Ibrox.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Asda car park across the motorway is probably better for that. If nothing else you'll be quicker going from Bellahouston, through the underpass back to your car than you would at Ibrox.

I wouldn't recommend the Asda car park unless you want to spend an hour waiting to get out. Best bet is to find street parking a 15/20 minute walk away. Usually ends up ok.

1 minute ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I wouldn't recommend the Asda car park unless you want to spend an hour waiting to get out. Best bet is to find street parking a 15/20 minute walk away. Usually ends up ok.

Admittedly that was based on never trying to get out the car park. Anywhere on the street next to Asda then, same parking spot with a fraction of the hassle.