The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

What is the recipe? I have beef needing used as it is in sale right now.

Beef ( I had shin but any cheap cut)

1 onion sliced

2 carrots sliced

3 cloves garlic

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp garlic powder ( i used garlic salt and missed out the salt)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp thyme

pinch cinnamon

pinch chilli flakes

250 ml beef stock

250 ml chhopped tomatoes

1 tbsp tomato puree

Bung it all in. Low for 4-6 hours.

Beef ( I had shin but any cheap cut)

1 onion sliced

2 carrots sliced

3 cloves garlic

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp garlic powder ( i used garlic salt and missed out the salt)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp thyme

pinch cinnamon

pinch chilli flakes

250 ml beef stock

250 ml chhopped tomatoes

1 tbsp tomato puree

Bung it all in. Low for 4-6 hours.

Sounds excellent I may give this a go at the weekend.

Been meaning to ask for a while:

I rarely (if ever) cook stuff before I bung it into my slow cooker. I tend to just chop up veg and meat and drop it in. Does this make a difference, generally?

Yep, caramelisation and the maillard reaction do not occur at the low temperatures used in slow cookers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

Baked potatoes massive success. More convenient than the oven, and far better than soggy or hard microwave efforts. Do this:

p***k potatoes all over with a fork, rub with Olive Oil, sprinkle with salt, and tightly wrap in foil. Bung in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours for much tastiness and cheap meal.

Marvellous.

Baked potatoes massive success. More convenient than the oven, and far better than soggy or hard microwave efforts. Do this:p***k potatoes all over with a fork, rub with Olive Oil, sprinkle with salt, and tightly wrap in foil. Bung in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours for much tastiness and cheap meal. Marvellous.

Add some chilli if you like a wee kick to them, very tasty.

I cracked out the slow cooker last night for the first time in ages for a tasty beef curry.

1 diced onion

1peeled and chopped medium tattie

250g diced beef

Tin of chopped tomatoes

2tbsp garam masala paste

2tbsp curry powder

Dod of garlic

Brown the beef, chuck in with rest of ingredients and stir. Cooked on high for 3 or 4 hours and it was cracking, enough for dinner tonight and tomorrow.

I made a beef curry on Sunday in mine.

Firstly I marinated the beef overnight in a rub of garam masala, tumeric, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, fresh garlic, fresh chilli, tom puree, pinch salt/pepper and a splash of veg oil.

Then made the sauce.

Sweat 4 or 5 onions with garlic, ginger and salt for 10 mins. Then bung in the same spices as above. Add a cup of water then simmer for about half an hour until gravy like.

Brown the beef and then bung both in the slow cooker. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes. 6 hours should be plenty. I don't usually bother with rice, just plenty naan.

The above is also great with lamb.

I made a beef curry on Sunday in mine.

Firstly I marinated the beef overnight in a rub of garam masala, tumeric, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, fresh garlic, fresh chilli, tom puree, pinch salt/pepper and a splash of veg oil.

Then made the sauce.

Sweat 4 or 5 onions with garlic, ginger and salt for 10 mins. Then bung in the same spices as above. Add a cup of water then simmer for about half an hour until gravy like.

Brown the beef and then bung both in the slow cooker. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes. 6 hours should be plenty. I don't usually bother with rice, just plenty naan.

The above is also great with lamb.

4 or 5 onions?

It's good for sweet things too. I made a cracking double apple cake the other week, basically make everything up into a batter then fire it in the slow cooker for 90 mins/2 hrs. Utterly tremendous - moist but not soggy, firm but not hard - awesome.

Slightly dangerous considering the scale of my sweet tooth but hey ho. Got some folk coming over in a couple of weeks so may have to make that for dessert, reckon that chipotle pulled pork will do for a main. Will need to employ a second slow cooker!

I'm going to make a bolognese. Should I brown the mince and fry the onions before putting them in the slow cooker?

Yes, as for the reasons pointed out by Tom McB.

Yep, caramelisation and the maillard reaction do not occur at the low temperatures used in slow cookers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction