The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

• 4 weeks later...

I love cooking and fancy myself as a bit of a Chef,but sometimes just cant be arsed,so this looks to good/easy to be true.

However,I'll heed your warning and make sure it doesnt end up in the cupboard of doom beside

The Breville Sandwich Toaster,The Sodastream,The Fondue,The Raclette & The Yoghurt Maker

F*ck,just realised how easly I am to sell to !!!!sad.gif

Was reading this thread looking for tips, saw this and thought sh*t. All these things are in my cupboard.

Anyway, back ot the slow cooker does a a joint really well. Very tender. Also like it browned and crisp on the outside. Anyone got a good idea on how to do this? Had even thought of one of those blowtorch things that are used for brulees.

Havent tried it ,but saw someone do jewelled lamb one day on TV.

Basically all you do is slow cook a leg of lamb,with raisins,apricots,cinnamon,garlic and wee drop red wine.

Its much like my pulled pork recipe ,in that when ready,you shred the lamb off the bone with two forks, much in the same way as the chinese do crispy duck.

The"jewels" are pomegranate seeds which are then mixed through it all and served with cous cous.

I'm sure there'll be a recipe somewhere on the internet

In fact,found it for you kiwifiter.

The reason it stuck in my mind is that it was one of the few succesful recipes I've seen on Come Dine With Me and looked great

http://www.channel4....ous-cous-recipe

who's kiwifiter? :P

Was reading this thread looking for tips, saw this and thought sh*t. All these things are in my cupboard.

Anyway, back ot the slow cooker does a a joint really well. Very tender. Also like it browned and crisp on the outside. Anyone got a good idea on how to do this? Had even thought of one of those blowtorch things that are used for brulees.

You won't be able to do this in a slow cooker.

However when almost ready I would put joint back into a hot oven on an pe-heated roasting tray and cook uncovered for approx 30 minutes.

This should dry the joint out slightly on the outside,allowing the skin to brown and crisp up.

Rubbing salt ito the skin also helps the skin crisp,but watch not overdo things

If you use a Blowtorch you'll end up burning the skin too much and it'll be difficult to get a uniform browning all over

who's kiwifiter? :P

oops ,sorry!

You won't be able to do this in a slow cooker.

However when almost ready I would put joint back into a hot oven on an pe-heated roasting tray and cook uncovered for approx 30 minutes.

This should dry the joint out slightly on the outside,allowing the skin to brown and crisp up.

Rubbing salt ito the skin also helps the skin crisp,but watch not overdo things

If you use a Blowtorch you'll end up burning the skin too much and it'll be difficult to get a uniform browning all over

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Thinking about making one of the BBQ sauce recipes. How much of a mess does it make of the cooker? Is it salvageble after or do I need 2? One for BBQ and one for stews, curries etc. Thanks

The pots tend to be ceramic and very easy to clean, needing only a soak before washing at the most. Anything you cook in it is going to leave marks around the edges because it's in there so long, but I've never had any trouble cleaning the pot.

The pots tend to be ceramic and very easy to clean, needing only a soak before washing at the most. Anything you cook in it is going to leave marks around the edges because it's in there so long, but I've never had any trouble cleaning the pot.

Many thanks. Got all the ingredients in so will try it in next day or two.

I put mine in the dishwasher!

Is he likely to have any left on Saturday do you think :D

I didn't make it, I left a day early instead! :lol: