Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

It's squeaky bum time. If we win all 3 we finish 7th, have an all Gardiner QF which will be winnable and possible sell out crowd.

If Cardiff don't win the league (possible) but do win the Erhardt (likely) then seventh would play Cardiff, not Fife.

23-4 aggregate score over Edinburgh at weekend was actually painful to watch by the end. Hope they come back stronger next year.

For once it's not been money issues in Edinburgh. It's hard to be sure of the reason for the departure of imports who didn't want to be there, but after replacing them with capable players the Caps then suffered season ending injuries to four imports and have only recorded one win in the last twenty eight. Although you can't blame management for the injuries and the want-away imports are a mixture of genuine reasons (retirement) and bad apples (Hayes), you just can't imagine the same scenario playing out at any other EIHL club and I think it highlights how fragile the Caps are as an organisation. My issue is that they don't seem to have moved forwards at all in the last eighteen years and until they do this sort of mid-season capitulation will always be a worry. It must be painful for the other EIHL clubs to watch as otherwise this has been an incredibly competitive season with crowds on the up and a new arena in Cardiff.

The thing that saddened me this weekend was it just highlights 1. How weak the eihl is, that could have been Dundee or even fife and 2. What an unbelievable gulf there is between eihl and snl standard, Edmonds and Plews being encouraging examples to the contrary though.

It's a shame it's probably not economically viable for Comets, Pirates, Kestrels, Caps SNL to be play EPL or even NIHL.

Cue Edinburgh denying Clan the Conference title this weekend.

It honestly wouldn't suprise me if that happened :/

I'm going to the Sat night game so I hope Clans revival couple with the Capitals dire results, make for a convincing home win. Can see a potentional upset on Sunday night

There will be no Clan/Caps upset this weekend. Other than backing Vita Tbilisi to lose I can't think of a safer bet in sport right now.

I was having a similar discussion elsewhere bemoaning the lack of an adequate stepping stone between u20s and EIHL available to Scottish players. I'm not sure there's a point of keeping the SIHA and EIHA as separate organisations when it's GB as a whole that competes in international competitions. As it stands, promising Scots realistically have to go abroad to play as a teenager if they want to end up meaningful EIHL players.

That's what frightens me...

I fully expect the win on the Saturday night but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly worried for the trip to Edinburgh on Sunday.

Stranger things have happened.

Regardless it should be an exciting weekend and I look forward to it!

Really hyped for this, hope to see a barrow load of Clan goals, but I reckon it will be a cadgy affair, 2-0 Clan.

Can't believe I won't see Clangus after tomorrow night until late Aug/Sep :/

Playoff QF?

I watched the Sheffield vs Nottingham game last night on Premier Sports. Really good game and great advert for the league; 9,203 the official attendance. I can't see the Steelers slipping up in Fife and Braehead are nailed on for the win at Murrayfield. That would set the quarter-finals up as follows:

Sheffield vs Coventry,

Cardiff vs Dundee,

Braehead vs Fife,

Belfast vs Nottingham.