Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Stars have got rid of everyone I wanted rid of and the goalie should be a huge upgrade.

Cescon and Tanaka are great additions and we should have a bit of grit through all 3 lines this year.

Bit concerned we don't have a top line forward signed yet.

Really hard to say how it will go this year as I think most teams have upgraded. This could be Clans last chance to win with the advantage off-the-wall conference system with MK and presumably a team 12 coming in year.

I would take a punt on Bruton as it looks like our huge top line signings aren't going to come off with only 3 weeks to go.

Le Fevre says he tried to hit a couple of home runs with some of the signings but they haven't come off.

In other news rumours of clan having some visa issues with rosehill.

The rumour is that he has a conviction from an incident that occurred during an AHL pre-season camp about 10 years ago.

The more likely story is that his partner/wife has just given birth and he's being allowed an extra few days before travelling to the UK this weekend.

38 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

A glaring example of what is wrong with the Elite League...

I think it's more an example of what's wrong with the SNL. Scotland simply isn't producing as many Elite quality players as it should be and a big reason is that the jump between SNL and EIHL is huge. Scotland has more EIHL teams than players on the GB squad. As much as I'd love to blame Braehead, the Scots capable of playing at that standard are few and far between

In other news: Sheffield had a respectable start to their CHL campaign last night. It's a well run tournament and the changes in place for next season will solve a lot of my issues with it, so I think they're to be congratulated. It's nice to see that they state the inclusion of KHL teams as one of their main goals and they're willing to sacrifice spots due to other top leagues in order to do so.

Edited by DiegoDiego

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think it's more an example of what's wrong with the SNL. Scotland simply isn't producing as many Elite quality players as it should be and a big reason is that the jump between SNL and EIHL is huge. Scotland has more EIHL teams than players on the GB squad. As much as I'd love to blame Braehead, there the Scots capable of playing at that standard are few and far between

You're right, I've made the same point before on here. I'm not blaming Braehead at all. makes the step up pretty much impossible for young Scottish players and with the ever increasing number of imports, the opportunities of joining these clubs, let alone getting any ice time get smaller.

Funnily enough, one of their Scots, Callum Boyd is a product of Kilmarnock Storm of the SNL.

Will be interested to see how Liam Cassidy does for the Caps, always looked a good player for Kirkcaldy Kestrels and certainly has the right attributes.

3 minutes ago, gavin_3110 said:

You're right, I've made the same point before on here. I'm not blaming Braehead at all. makes the step up pretty much impossible for young Scottish players and with the ever increasing number of imports, the opportunities of joining these clubs, let alone getting any ice time get smaller.

Funnily enough, one of their Scots, Callum Boyd is a product of Kilmarnock Storm of the SNL.

Will be interested to see how Liam Cassidy does for the Caps, always looked a good player for Kirkcaldy Kestrels and certainly has the right attributes.

I think Callum has been lucky that Edinburgh have had, shall we say, "roster difficulties" and don't have the cash to fill spots with established Brits. I hope Liam gets a shot. It'll be tough with nine import forwards on the books, but another four season ending injuries like last year and he should be okay.

I'm mildly optimistic about the prospects for youth at the Caps. The last few years have been a step in the right direction and moves this off season should improve things. Cingel as SNL coach has spoken a lot about his job being one of preparing players for Elite hockey, they'll be doing the same drills as the EIHL team and playing to the same systems so they're ready to slot in at a moment's notice. I've not spoken to anyone more passionate about development of British players than Scott Neil, it's great having a former GB international (and a British one at that, sorry Mr Kelman) owning an EIHL club. Balancing the fans' conflicting desires for quality and locals while keeping league parity and ensuring level finances is a very tough job.

The lack of Brits in the EIHL is a symptom of the problem, not it's cause.

With the best will in the world, the current junior set up simply doesnt give prospects enough competitve games. It never will until we have junior teams playing 40+ competitive games a season and training regularly. Even if it means the junior clubs getting 2 hours at 7am on a Saturday morning, kids need regular ice time. They also need a clear path to progress to the adult game. The SNL isnt really going to offer that. It may still have a place but I'd much rather see an extension to both the NIHL and EPL. Could Braehead support a 2 import NIHL team? Could Murrayfield, Kirkaldy or Dundee? Would there be scope for a 5 import premier league team to jin a revamped EPL?

You don't reform sport by starting at the top and hoping that it works. You reform the foundations - youth development and player progression - and you work and increasing the amount of available Brit talent. The EIHL can only change (and I think we've got too many imports. I'd go for a limit of 10-11) if there are enough players out there to maintain a good standard of hockey. If the EIHL was to sign the best Brits playing outside of the league, the EPL would be decimated and NIHL hockey would effectively be reduced to reccy.

If I were in charge (and knowing P&B's love for league reconstruction chat), I'd merge the EIHA, SIHA, NIIHA and IHUK. There's no need for four separate organisations for one national team. As Milton Keynes are joining the EIHL next season I'd do my best to encourage Guildford to join them. The Flames used to have a great rivalry with Coventry and I'd love to see them back up in Dundee, Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh. Their rink is decent and they're a well run organisation with a good fanbase and solid finances.

That leaves eight teams in the newly re-branded BPIHL. I'd add Solway to the mix and one other Scottish club (actually, I'd be very tempted to try and include a team from the English north-east, which used to produce a good many GB players). Then split them into north (Sheffield, Manchester, Hull, Solway, +1) and south (Bracknell, Basingstoke, Peterborough, Telford, Swindon) conferences. That would cut down travel expenses, which along with extra away fans would compensate for the loss of MK & Guildford. The two new additions would give Scottish boys exposure to a decent level of competition before making the step up.

Firstly I have no interest in GB so no fucks given about that side of it but obviously it's much better for teams like Dundee if we can bring through our own or pick up from other Scottish teams. Craig Moore was excellent last year and Ben Edmonds looks a great prospect.

I think the idea of a north south conference BNL would be a great idea as like people have said the gap from SNL to EIHL is huge.

I have a feeling the EPL will die this year. Manchester Phoenix will lucky to make Xmas, bracknell running on fumes, MK jumping ship next year and with no London EIHL team for years yet Guildford could well be team 12.

That would leave the way open for some sort of new set up but as mentioned, with so many vested interests, probably not.

I don't think Dundee or Caps would have another penny for a two import team, although they don't have to play imports right enough. Clan and Solway might be good options.

While I'm reforming UK hockey what kind of set up do folk want for a 12 team elite league?

I think I would stick with the conferences but move Belfast north (assuming two English teams). That would allow us to drop to 3 home 3 away conference games, 4 is too much.

If my maths is right that gives a 54 game reg season v 52 just now.

8 of 12 qualify for playoff QFs which gives the regular season a bit more meaning than 8 from 10.

I would be happy to see a bottom 4 playoff weekend for a consolation cup but given how the 3/4 playoff games goes at Nottingham probably not.

I would like to see challenge cup groups binned. 2 legged knockout and Top 4 from previous season get bye to second round. This probably won't happen though as teams want the games.

I expect London will be a khl team and Guildford will have no choice but to be team 12 in the eihl. Belfast moves conference and the 2 new teams join the Erhardt.. I also expect the epl and nihl1 to merge. There are teams in nihl1 south that could step up to a 3 or 4 import league. Wouldn't be surprised to see a north/south bnl with 12 or 14 teams and a single tier 3 nihl. At the very bottom there are nihl2 sides that are basically reccy teams.

Guildford won't be going to elite unless they change ownership they make decent profit in EPL has they have largest fanbase but only need to maybe spend a bit more than other teams to be strong but not too strong to keep it interesting. Not ambitious in a sporting sense but sadly that is the way they are and their fans would rather win trophies in a micky mouse league than go professional where they would do okay after adjustment.  Think London are still trying for KHL and its Neil Black working on that so he is someone that can actually make something happen. The KHL I don't think will happen but if it does like many other KHL teams it will not really rely on fans to fund it but could still be an elite team in London as well. I don't think non or newbie hockey fans are sophisticated enough to be more interested in a game v Lada Tolgliatti compared to a place they have heard of and funner team name in Belfast Giants even though KHL would be much higher standard. 

Aberdeen have ambitions to go to elite league but would be dependent on getting ice in the proposed new aberdeen conference/ exhibition centre if they could get that could use existing rink in the short term. Apparently have had very good crowds in SNL. Also other than the football team there isn't any full time professional sports team between there in dundee or inverness/Dingwall so massive catchment area and potential.

Assuming London is still another year or two away if there has to be a 12th team which would be ideal but essential in my opinion I think Leeds is a possibility. They are setting up Cardiff's old temp rink there. i think it is being ran by Silverblades who now run Altringham ice rink and big reason for Manchester Storm being setup so see pro hockey as important for attract people to the rink. When Hull pulled out the league I think they were approached about if they could have a team in Manchester and made it happen at quite short notice and the Leeds rink is practically identical to the Altringham rink.

Challenge cup is a bit stale would love some sort of cup involving for example French/Norwegian/ Danish teams perhaps a team could host a group over a long weekend. Doubt it will ever happen but would be nice.  If though they need to work with ten elite teams 4 teams out of 5 going through is crap.I would say group winners get a bye to the semi's and teams in 2nd and 3rd can play in quarters for  the other spots.  

Scottish cup would love to see 4 Scottish teams perhaps a preseason event and the host rink could alternate.

Play offs - while a ten team league assuming 3 or 5 games series are not viable the change I would make is that the regular season winners get a bye to the final 4 and teams 2 -7 play in quarters for 3 remaining spots. The play offs should decide the overall champ and champ league entrant so this bye would mean there is a tangible rewards for winning regular season and play offs have shown top teams can miss final 4 take Sheffield last season for example.  Nottingham is fine to host but panthers should be made to give up their locker room for the weekend. I have been to 5 play off weekends 3 out of the 5 times panthers won but the other 2 times they didn't make the final 4. Its not ideal but if they every moved them to London it would be too far and expensive for many to go. I'm a Caps fan and want to win a trophy but a  full on consolation cup would be meaningless. Perhaps though just for some fun the 6 teams that don't make the final 4 could have a 20/20 style tournament. 2 groups of 3 with 20 minute matches (1st ten mins 4 on 4, 2nd ten mins 3 on 3). Would only need a roster of 10-12 players for it. Please though get rid of 3rd places play off match might as well do a legends match like they do with winter classic if that is only option. 

I don't really see a merger as suggest above for a UK wide 3/4 import level. It is a bit like the issue the highland and lowland league have in football there is a much bigger population and player pool in the south so there isn't enough teams/player in the north to be equal. Only way would maybe be a north,central and south split but teams cannot afford the travel for when they travel beyond their own area. Solway to Basingstoke for example would be massive travel and costs to make it happen. This is semi pro hockey so guys have jobs during the week and they give up a lot of their weekends already with the 2 or 3 hours travel they need to do even sometimes to play at home. They would never see their families or have free personal time if they had to combine this with day job. Callum Boyd left caps to go to clan as he has day job in Ayrshire and was travelling 3 hours round trip to Edinburgh to train and play up to 6 times a week.  If a 3/4 north import league was viable  I think Dundee and Fife would have tried that rather than go elite and perhaps caps would join them. They tried the northern league with teams from NIHL north and it wasn't viable. 

I believe that there are issues between Guildford owners and some of those involved in EIHL. Ultimately with MK going it may be a case of Guildford needing to move as the EPL will be a very different beast. At least 2 teams struggling to even exist. The EPL may be left with 7 teams next summer.

Regional 2nd tier hockey may be the only real option for the EPL.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I believe that there are issues between Guildford owners and some of those involved in EIHL.

That what was said about the Fife owners but they quickly became friends when the EIHL needed a team and Fife needed a decent league. I wouldn't rule out the same happening with Guildford. I have very little knowledge of EPL goings on though, what happened to Slough?