Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

PP was complete pony on Sunday. Really piss poor.

Other than that? A solid performance from Shane Owen kept the game tied in regular time and the width of the post kept the puck out in OT.

Wharton wasn't 100%. We're missing Baldwin. Hopefully see our defence improve when Wharton is completely over his injury and Baldwin arrives. Rosehill will be more effective when he's healed up, but playing with the cage on despite having damaged his palate was the sign of a proper old school hockey player.

Enough about the performance hinted that we'll have a decent season this year.

Unable to make it to the rovers saturday so thinking about taking the kids to the dundee Stars game. Having never been before I'm wondering how long before slap off you need to get there to get reasonable seats? Will it be busy? Also how long do games generally last? Any other tips? Cheers

You know the Stars game is tonight not Saturday?

Tonight you can roll up 15 minutes before face off and get centre ice seats if you sit with away fans. However for a first timer with kids it's well worth getting there half hour early to get food and seats and get all the pre game build up. TBH all seats at DIA are decent and you can generally sit where you want except behind the benches which are mostly season tickets.

A game without over time will generally last a bit over 2 hours.

Whatever you do don't stand up during play or folk go mental. There are stoppages every couple of minutes if you need to move.

Bring money for food 50/50s and Chuck a puck.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

You know the Stars game is tonight not Saturday?

Yep! Due to family commitments saturday afternoon is out so I thought I'd check out the hockey for a change. Also the kids have never been to the game but love ice skating so big brownie points for me.

Thanks for the info. We'll get there early. Is the food at the rink any good, or for fast junk should we hit McDonalds/Pizza Hut on the way?

Editted to add that based on your advice I will stand up at key moments in the play just for the lols ;-)

Edited by Munter
no idea

2 hours ago, #Gary said:

Dreadful opening weekend for Braehead. 

Lol

A par weekend for Dundee. Decent performance against a very good team not quite enough. Decent performance against Caps is plenty.

I'm free to say this as we won but the officiating at Murrayfield tonight beyond dreadful. It's becoming a real worry for league credibility now.

Onto the barn on Saturday. Should be a cracker. Fife flying in all cylinders the moment.

I went to see some CHL on Friday: Lorenskog vs TPS. TPS won 6-0 (the game in Turku was 4-1), which perhaps is a little harsh on Lorenskog who fell apart mid-way through the game.

Lorenskog are a funny club. They've been going since the sixties but as recently as ten years ago were only averaging 200 fans. They've been Norwegian runners-up twice and are among the favourites this season. The rink is next to a cinema/shopping centre in a somewhat sketchy suburb of Oslo. No merchandise on sale, no beer either.

Only 550 were in attendance which reflects both the dead-rubber and the general lack of interest in the CHL in some parts of Europe. Both Norwegian teams won their groups last season but were outplayed this year. I was one of six TPS fans there, about twenty were cheering for them but most were team officials/WAGs.

Draw for the last sixteen starts in half an hour. I think next season's tournament will be a lot better with some of the changes made to the structure.

--

Is it any surprise that the Caps are the only club that can't provide match-night updates on the EIHL site?

There was someone there providing updates but the IT must have gone down.

I find fans twitter a much more reliable way of getting updates now.

More concerning was caps only having one set of shirts, the same colour as Dundees  challenge cup shirts and having to play the game in jerseys turned inside out.

Pro league FFS.

Edited by invergowrie arab

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

More concerning was caps only having one set of shirts, the same colour as Dundees  challenge cup shirts and having to play the game in jerseys turned inside out.

To be fair, the farce was caused by Dundee not bringing the correct coloured shirts. Caps are still waiting on their other jerseys. I'm normally quite quick to put the boot into Caps' management but the order was placed two months ago and Rhino estimate ten days turnaround.

How is it Dundee's fault and what are the correct coloured shirts?

It was a challenge cup game. Dundee play challenge cup games in red and have done for years.

If Edinburgh have contacted Stars and said we only have one set of jerseys can you play in white please them fair enough. Is that what happened?

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

How is it Dundee's fault and what are the correct coloured shirts?

It was a challenge cup game. Dundee play challenge cup games in red and have done for years.

If Edinburgh have contacted Stars and said we only have one set of jerseys can you play in white please them fair enough. Is that what happened?

It's always been the case that if the challenge cup jerseys clash then the road team are to wear white. Edinburgh have also worn red challenge cup shirts for years, that's why they changed to white when in Dundee for challenge cup games last season.

Whether the onus was on Edinburgh, Dundee or the referees to alert teams to shirt clashes I've no idea, but it was Dundee who turned up with the wrong colour.

My understanding of elite league rules is that the home team should always be the ones to provide an alternate jersey in the event of a clash. It makes sense as they should ordinarily have them on site.

In any case surely there should be something in the admin that skaters and jerseys are sent to EIHL in advance and they should be looking out for any clash. 

However, we will never know as the EIHL don't publish their own rulebook anywhere.

It's interesting as we wore blue and panthers yellow on Friday. I thought the road team always had to wear white in league play? I remember reading about it as EPL changed it to home team have to wear white, the rationale being fans get to see more variety over a season than visitors in white every week.

From Caps forum:

'Last night, as per EIHL rule 209, we expected Dundee to play in white/light colour as nothing else had been agreed prior to the game. This was not the case, as they turned up with red strips also. In order for the game to proceed a solution had to be found. What happened was not ideal by anyones standards, but it was a solution to the problem at hand, and the game was played. Not sure what else could have been done under the circumstances. '

It is a bit like in football where teams get punished for fielding ineligible players. Surely the league should have a system so ref's can see what players are allowed to play in that match and something like that with jerseys. 

Panthers wearing yellow on Friday will likely be because they had a 3 match road trip in Scotland 3 nights in a row. Would assume though they made arrangements for that. If away teams are not going to arrive with their standard away jersey they should be making arrangement for that to happen. Caps done this when they wore red in pre-season in Dundee.  Its not a massive deal just frustrating as was my first game of season and we have a lot of new players so unable to see names and numbers. We really need our import goalie in. Despite 8-3 loss last night we weren't that bad another couple weeks and every in and fit and we should be much better.

10 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Where is Fullerton?

Still in Canada cannot leave until he physically has it. I read delay was because he applied at British consulate in Halifax which is part time but he had gone via Toronto it would have been much faster.