Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Shite end to a shite season.

Next year will be better. The clan will learn from this season and progress. Unfortunately we recruited poorly last summer and failed to change a group of players that had zero toughness. We had a so called locker room cancer that we persisted with until the last possible minute, then took whatever we could in exchange. That problem player will be playing next weekend whilst his Clan replacement won't be.

Any number of issues plagued our season. A terrible D. Players not performing. A coach not in control of his squad and not trusted by the owners. A bench coach forced into the locker room. It was a frustrating year. The sad truth is that when winners grind out results, also-rans collapse. Fife were able to grind it out over 2 legs. Clan went to OT 10 times this season and won twice. Not a great result from high pressure situations.

Glad the season is over. Time for the owner to decide what he actually wants from the Clan. He either gives the club parity with Nottingham and lets both organisations run independently or he tinkers with the Clan and undermines whatever coach is behind the bench next season. He allows that coach to recruit their team and play their style of hockey or he undermines him. I have a degree of sympathy for Ryan Finnerty - it's clear that the owner doesn't trust him to run the team his way - but that doesn't absolve him for the numerous mistakes this season. Throwing Holt under the bus when a piss poor D let him down all year. Calling out a kid who wanted ice time and wasn't getting it rather than doing some actual coaching and trying to manage the situation.

The Clan need to learn from this season and decide exactly what kind of team they're going to be next year.

It was definetly a season of ups and downs. Started the season poorly, results picked up and we were looking like genuine title contenders then Feb arrived and the issues with injuries, dressing room disputes etc, made for a horrendous month. Results picked up again only to be denied a place in Nottingham in the crulest of ways.

We have to improve on power plays next season, also need to get some more scorers in attack, can't rely on Pitt and Keith for goals. Meyer had a poor season compared to his previous one IMO

The conference title was the minimum of what was expected and we got it. Will be interesting to see what next season brings

Yip, they'll definitely find another team and I reckon it will be London. Or they could just punt the Capitals....

Doubtful! The Caps are supposedly pretty secure financially and leaving the EIHL isn't really on the cards for them.

MK might just be close enough for London for the time being? What chances of Aberdeen? Would probably need to be another 'northern' team if they want to balance out the conferences if they are intent on keeping them...

Aberdeen have definitely mentioned being interested in the past but the arena isn't big enough, unless they could play at the AECC? Either way, I think the conference system is on its way out.

The previous London team in the Superleague collapsed cause their arena wasn't ideal, in a poor location. With the right marketing a London team could be HUGE for hockey in the UK. I'd be very surprised if they weren't the 2nd addition for the 17-18 season, with the name London Emperors already having been trademarked by Neil Black.

London are already confirmed as being in the pipeline. Just no one knows when. It was meant to be this year when first discussed two years ago.

You don't need to balance with a northern team, you just put Giants in the Gardiner.

I think you could be looking at more than 12 teams anyway and doing away with conferences.

The EPL looks on a shoogly peg and the likes of Basingstoke, Guildford and Telford could all make the step up if required.

Doubtful! The Caps are supposedly pretty secure financially and leaving the EIHL isn't really on the cards for them.

I used to be fairly regular at Caps games for years, since they joined the EIHL really. I follow Paisley Pirates but if there was a game at Edinburgh that took my fancy and didn't clash I'd take a run through. I don't have any specific inside knowledge but wouldn't be so sure of the viability of their EIHL operation. Certainly if the conference system goes, they're finished.

They are shambolically run off the ice. Especially when you see the slickness of most other outfits in the league. A complete relic trying to compete in a modern league.

I'm amazed that they still manage to get 400 odd fans turning up to watch them at £17 a head, the fans are treated like shite and left completely in the dark by those who run the club. They've milked them for all they're worth. They even charge a tenner for an SNL game which usually faces off an hour later than advertised at 9pm despite the fact most clubs charge half that. They can't even russle up a PA announcer to read the line ups or even a set of matching strips. Greedy b*****ds.

I feel genuinely sorry for their gaffer Riley Emmerson, he's one of the good guys but he can only piss with the cock he's given. He and the hardcore of fans deserve much better. I get that they are hamstrung to a point by an old rink, but I still think they're a club with so much potential that will never be realised.

Edited by gavin_3110

I used to be fairly regular at Caps games for years, since they joined the EIHL really. I follow Paisley Pirates but if there was a game at Edinburgh that took my fancy and didn't clash I'd take a run through. I don't have any specific inside knowledge but wouldn't be so sure of the viability of their EIHL operation. Certainly if the conference system goes, they're finished.

They are shambolically run off the ice. Especially when you see the slickness of most other outfits in the league. A complete relic trying to compete in a modern league.

I'm amazed that they still manage to get 400 odd fans turning up to watch them at £17 a head, the fans are treated like shite and left completely in the dark by those who run the club. They've milked them for all they're worth. They even charge a tenner for an SNL game which usually faces off an hour later than advertised at 9pm despite the fact most clubs charge half that. They can't even russle up a PA announcer to read the line ups or even a set of matching strips. Greedy b*****ds.

I feel genuinely sorry for their gaffer Riley Emmerson, he's one of the good guys but he can only piss with the cock he's given. He and the hardcore of fans deserve much better. I get that they are hamstrung to a point by an old rink, but I still think they're a club with so much potential that will never be realised.

Scott Neil makes a decent living from the Caps and does as much as he can himself. He was a good player and has a great track record of picking a player but he's not a natural businessman. He could head down to Braehead, take a few notes and improve the Caps no end, but he has no motivation for doing so and no ambition. The rink, whilst an issue, is a convenient excuse when you look at the numbers Fife attract. Scott's been doing it for 18 years now, it's his ball to play with and unless he want to hand it to someone else, nothing will change.

It is a shame for the fans, as there are a lot of very dedicated folk amongst them who have been treated very poorly over the years. Why some continue to buy season tickets I have no idea. It can be great being a Caps fan though. I was shocked at how demure the Fife fans were as they left Braehead, Caps fans celebrate a regular season win over Belfast like game seven Stanley Cup victory; that's what happens when you're perennially shite.

Speaking of Braehead, I've given them a lot of stick in the past so it's only correct that I give them their due. It was a great atmosphere at the quarter final and they let the importance of the game build the atmosphere rather than relying on gimmicks. A 50-50 of £2,400 equated to over a ticket sold per attendee and the chuck a puck must have added another few hundred. For everything I dislike about the Clan, they're good for the sport and I'd be happy if they kept growing and flopping in the playoffs each season. There are few things which have put a bigger grin on my face than when that OT goal went in.

Speaking of Braehead, I've given them a lot of stick in the past so it's only correct that I give them their due. It was a great atmosphere at the quarter final and they let the importance of the game build the atmosphere rather than relying on gimmicks. A 50-50 of £2,400 equated to over a ticket sold per attendee and the chuck a puck must have added another few hundred. For everything I dislike about the Clan, they're good for the sport and I'd be happy if they kept growing and flopping in the playoffs each season. There are few things which have put a bigger grin on my face than when that OT goal went in.

I'd be more than happy to keep flopping in the playoffs if we can actually win the league eventually!