Banning the burqa

F_T_Y

Shame that XBL mentions Saudi. I met a few Saudi Women in US studying over there and they certainly 'let their hair down', boozing , partying and general showboating! Most of them were stunning, I'm all for seeing more of their faces.Ban the burka!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd give businesses the right to choose whether to ban them on their property and think caerfully about whether they should be alllowed in government buildings and transport.

That's the best option.

It would stop any pressure being put onto governments through the human rights act and being taken to court and paying out huge compensation claims. Each business has the right to serve whoever they want, a bit like pubs who can refuse anyone a drink, management have the right to do so. If every bank, post office, bus company and taxi firm did the same, the option is, lose the face mask, or go elsewhere. Out on the streets, I couldn't care less what people wear, whether it's through choice or through enforced male dominated tradition/custom/faith.

They are, of course, optional. I don't believe in banning them, that just seems an unwarranted step. Although rare, Muslim women - even in relatively pious Libya - are gradually shunning them. There are a few myths about them, but just to clarify, kids don't wear them and no woman has to wear one in the bank. I haven't been to Saudi Arabia but I gather things are altogether less free there. I can only speak for my experience here.

I'd also suggest Shariah law, which this discussion inevitably turns to, is a horrible, horrible thing, but one which is not in itself representative of Islam. Most male Muslims I know abhor it, and will openly say so. They probably wouldn't say that if they caught me fiddling their sister though.

Have you asked them? Or do you go by lazy tabloid stereotypes? Oh thats right, all muslim women are enfeebled types with no rights, commanded to walk several steps behind their husband, virtual prisoners with no rights or independence.rolleyes.gif

Say I had a cult. In my cult, it is required that all women wear gimp masks and get branded with a big "W" on their hand.

If followers of my cult indoctrinated females from an early age and stated that this was absolutely the right thing to do, because god said so, would it be "liberating" when the woman made the "informed" choice to wear the mask and get branded?

Say I had a cult. In my cult, it is required that all women wear gimp masks and get branded with a big "W" on their hand.

If followers of my cult indoctrinated females from an early age and stated that this was absolutely the right thing to do, because god said so, would it be "liberating" when the woman made the "informed" choice to wear the mask and get branded?

When's our first meeting oh holy one?

they shouldn't be banned in general but i'd give businesses the right to choose whether to ban them on their property and think carefully about whether they should be alllowed in government buildings and transport.

Can I apply that to gays in my B&B?

This example is fucking stupid. For a start, the cult doesn't say that. Indeed, the cult doesn't say anything like that at all. However, in one of the countries where the cult was based, everyone there was indoctrinated in such a way. However, in other countries, where people don't do that as standard, people choose to do it. So your example is stupid and doesn't fit at all. However, while you talk a load of dribble, you have somehow hit on a reasonable point of view (held by myself and others), that more education and information is needed.

They are, of course, optional. I don't believe in banning them, that just seems an unwarranted step. Although rare, Muslim women - even in relatively pious Libya - are gradually shunning them. There are a few myths about them, but just to clarify, kids don't wear them and no woman has to wear one in the bank. I haven't been to Saudi Arabia but I gather things are altogether less free there. I can only speak for my experience here.

I'd also suggest Shariah law, which this discussion inevitably turns to, is a horrible, horrible thing, but one which is not in itself representative of Islam. Most male Muslims I know abhor it, and will openly say so. They probably wouldn't say that if they caught me fiddling their sister though.

Yeah, they are relatively rare here, women here wear the abaya (although it's all sorts of designer and sparkly ones) and the headscarf part, niqab if I remember correctly.

This example is fucking stupid. For a start, the cult doesn't say that. Indeed, the cult doesn't say anything like that at all. However, in one of the countries where the cult was based, everyone there was indoctrinated in such a way. However, in other countries, where people don't do that as standard, people choose to do it. So your example is stupid and doesn't fit at all. However, while you talk a load of dribble, you have somehow hit on a reasonable point of view (held by myself and others), that more education and information is needed.

I was purely referring to my cult.

Like my cult, people can drill into other people's head untrue information at an early age (in this situation that they should wear a burka).

The only difference between a religion and a cult is member numbers. Both as legitimate as each other.

No disagreement there, but your example is terrible.

It's not terrible, it is ridiculous.

What is also ridiculous is the idea that a woman (even if she's led to believe it herself) should wear a burka. There is no logical explanation for it (much like the fact you cant wear clothes made from more than one type of material in the bible), probably just some sexist idea that was inserted and gained momentum.

If we shouldnt be banning it, we should be certainly discouraging it along with all the other religious pish.

It's not terrible, it is ridiculous.

What is also ridiculous is the idea that a woman (even if she's led to believe it herself) should wear a burka. There is no logical explanation for it (much like the fact you cant wear clothes made from more than one type of material in the bible), probably just some sexist idea that was inserted and gained momentum.

But there is no reason why a guy should wear a tattoo or ear piercing, and yet people do! And to repeat yet again, there is nothing in the qu'oran about the burqa, nothing!

But there is no reason why a guy should wear a tattoo or ear piercing, and yet people do! And to repeat yet again, there is nothing in the qu'oran about the burqa, nothing!

Yeah, because the burqa is a demonstration of fashion, rebellion and individuality :rolleyes:

Only read the first few posts, but I'm sure this topic was debated just a few months back (and I bet people are posting the same things).

I think it should be allowed except:

where it causes security concerns,

where it stops intigration,

where it stigmatises women, and

where it is a risk of sorts (e g when driving).

Archived