Banning the burqa

F_T_Y

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you wouldn't expect to be able to go into the post office or the fitba with a jason hockey mask or ski mask or on.

they shouldn't be banned in general but i'd give businesses the right to choose whether to ban them on their property and think caerfully about whether they should be alllowed in government buildings and transport.

I wonder if Belgium would be quite so draconian against dress that was traditionally worn by either of their fractuous linguistic groups. But so long as the minority isn't sufficient to destabilise the state, regulate the hell out of them. :rolleyes:

No. What gives the government the right to tell people what they can and can't wear? We're supposed to be a free country.

What about those two britons who got jailtime for kissing on a beach in dubai because of muslim laws.

What about those two britons who got jailtime for kissing on a beach in dubai because of muslim laws.

Last time I checked Dubai wasn't a 'free' country, so you're missing the point entirely.

We're not Dubai.

Banning the Burqa is surely no better than those in islam who enforce the bloody thing in the first place. Whichever way you look at it, it's a lack of choice.

Now, as a piece of religious headgear, and one who's purpose is derived from islam's belief in the essential inequality of man and woman, I find it repugnant. There are obviously sections of muslim women who are forced to wear this against their will, and banning the thing would be the shortest route to helping these people. On the other hand there are no doubt women in islam who wear it through choice, either informed or as a duty, but who accept it as part of their religion and even embrace it. Banning it then simply alienates large tracts of the islam faith.

The way round it in my opinion is to continue to drive to afford everyone better education and to try to push those more traditonal parts of islam towards a secular lifestyle, where individual choice outweighs religious dogma. It's the only way to protect our own liberal ideas while promoting better equality for everyone in these isles - the only way to promote freedom of belief while not contradicting the properly more fundamental freedom of choice that our society is supposed to offer.

Banning it, while seemingly the simplest way to rid this country of what is in many cases a vile act of suppression by religion on women, will simply produce a knee jerk reaction that makes genuine reform harder to carry out later.

We're not Dubai.

Banning the Burqa is surely no better than those in islam who enforce the bloody thing in the first place. Whichever way you look at it, it's a lack of choice.

Now, as a piece of religious headgear, and one who's purpose is derived from islam's belief in the essential inequality of man and woman, I find it repugnant. There are obviously sections of muslim women who are forced to wear this against their will, and banning the thing would be the shortest route to helping these people. On the other hand there are no doubt women in islam who wear it through choice, either informed or as a duty, but who accept it as part of their religion and even embrace it. Banning it then simply alienates large tracts of the islam faith.

Banning it, while seemingly the simplest way to rid this country of what is in many cases a vile act of suppression by religion on women, will simply produce a knee jerk reaction that makes genuine reform harder to carry out later.

I agree with much of the post, but its really not as vile and awful as people think. Much of the time, the burqa is an act of freedom by women. I don't agree with it personally, but some women seem to like it. Its also not an Islamic thing. There is nothing in the Qu'oran about it. All that it specifies is that you should be decent and cover your hair. Women in Iran (for example), which is supposedly some awful Islamic state, do not commonly wear more than a loose hair covering. I know of examples where it is the woman who chooses to wear it against the wishes of men. I would argue that in most normal places, women choose what to wear. There are always exceptions obviously...and Saudi Arabia, but its not some Islamic law. But ignorance of Islam aside, I agree with much of what you say. We are not Dubai, and banning it makes us no better than those who enforce it.

The way round it in my opinion is to continue to drive to afford everyone better education and to try to push those more traditonal parts of islam towards a secular lifestyle, where individual choice outweighs religious dogma.

Yeah, that's never going to happen though is it. Let's be honest.

The problem is that people believe these nonsense fairy stories, like Islam, and continue to follow utterly bonkers religious practices, such as wearing these ludicrous costumes.

:lol:

Really? In what way?

Have you asked them? Or do you go by lazy tabloid stereotypes? Oh thats right, all muslim women are enfeebled types with no rights, commanded to walk several steps behind their husband, virtual prisoners with no rights or independence.:rolleyes:

Have you asked them? Or do you go by lazy tabloid stereotypes? Oh thats right, all muslim women are enfeebled types with no rights, commanded to walk several steps behind their husband, virtual prisoners with no rights or independence.:rolleyes:

I've known several muslim women, some of whom are "casual" muslim and some of whom are "extreme" muslim. They all agree unanimously that the burkha is a symbol of religious tyranny and opression against women.

Have you asked them? Or do you go by lazy tabloid stereotypes? Oh thats right, all muslim women are enfeebled types with no rights, commanded to walk several steps behind their husband, virtual prisoners with no rights or independence.rolleyes.gif

That's a very long winded way of not answering my question. Can you please do so now. Thanks. For the avoidance of doubt, I will repeat it for you.

Can you explain in what way "the burqa is an act of freedom by women"?

Morning, Chief Equivocator.

Archived