Banning the burqa

F_T_Y

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems obvious what should be done. The burqa or niqab or any other piece of clothing should not be banned. If there's some areas or buildings (such as post offices) where the law or the rules state that nobody's allowed to enter with their face covered, then women covering their face have to uncover or not enter. That's the only sensible option.

I'm sure there are instances of women feeling pressured into doing certain things by their family, in this regard. But if we're going to legislate against anything which people feel 'pressured' into doing by family or a certain section of society then we'd have to bring a huge number of laws on a range if issues.

You don't have to like these items or the reason why they're worn but that's no reason to ban them. The Belgian decision was stupid.

Q:

Why the sudden influx of shit 'Livingston-supporting' trolls?

They are the same person and not a particularly smart one.

Start a thread about class sizes, quango's or expenses and you won't get a word out of them. Post anything to do with /religion/creed and expect lots of nonsensical short replys.

It seems obvious what should be done. The burqa or niqab or any other piece of clothing should not be banned. If there's some areas or buildings (such as post offices) where the law or the rules state that nobody's allowed to enter with their face covered, then women covering their face have to uncover or not enter. That's the only sensible option.

I'm sure there are instances of women feeling pressured into doing certain things by their family, in this regard. But if we're going to legislate against anything which people feel 'pressured' into doing by family or a certain section of society then we'd have to bring a huge number of laws on a range if issues.

You don't have to like these items or the reason why they're worn but that's no reason to ban them. The Belgian decision was stupid.

Nothing more to say on that, excellent post. Have a red dot. :D

• 3 years later...

Bump. There has been a recent debate on this, with a judge ruling that full face veils should be removed to give evidence in trials and the issue being raised in fringe meetings at the Liberal Democrat conference in Glasgow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24106142

I don't think you can ban items of clothing. There are obviously some situations where having a fully covered face is not appropriate and I agree that people should have to remove face coverings if giving evidence but people's bodies are their own. Whether people want to get their breasts out for Nuts or wear a full face ninja outfit then that's their choice.

I do think that the philosophy behind the niqab and even behind headscarves is wrong and anti-human but people can believe it and wear clothes that reflect their beliefs.

Bump. There has been a recent debate on this, with a judge ruling that full face veils should be removed to give evidence in trials and the issue being raised in fringe meetings at the Liberal Democrat conference in Glasgow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24106142

I don't think you can ban items of clothing. There are obviously some situations where having a fully covered face is not appropriate and I agree that people should have to remove face coverings if giving evidence but people's bodies are their own. Whether people want to get their breasts out for Nuts or wear a full face ninja outfit then that's their choice.

I do think that the philosophy behind the niqab and even behind headscarves is wrong and anti-human but people can believe it and wear clothes that reflect their beliefs.

Don't they have to show their faces in Pakistani courts?

There was a girl in full veil interviewed on Channel 4 news last night. Total rocket.

Said that the judges can see their face before a trial, ignoring that it's for the benefit of the jury. Turned it round to being a symbol of female oppression and went off on one, making little mention of veils.

Yes, full face veils aren't allowed if you are giving evidence in Pakistani courts.

Yeah I was sure that was the case. If its good enough for a muslim state then it shouldnt be any issue for here either in the same circumstances.

• 2 years later...

Another bump. It seems that a racial abuse and threats trial could be abandoned because a key prosecution witness has refused to take the stand without a veil.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14145051.Trial_adjourned_after_witness_refuses_to_give_evidence_without_a_veil/

I honestly don't think you can have people with covered faces giving evidence in court.

Another bump. It seems that a racial abuse and threats trial could be abandoned because a key prosecution witness has refused to take the stand without a veil.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14145051.Trial_adjourned_after_witness_refuses_to_give_evidence_without_a_veil/

I honestly don't think you can have people with covered faces giving evidence in court.

Jail her for contempt.

Banning the burqa is up there (or down there) with banning tea-bagging. How I live my life (including how I dress) should be of no concern to the government, unless I am harming innocents along the way.

But you regularly teabag innocents though.

Banning the burqa is up there (or down there) with banning tea-bagging. How I live my life (including how I dress) should be of no concern to the government, unless I am harming innocents along the way.

I'm not sure you would get away with they in public and especially not in court.

They should be banned in court. Can whitness' go in wearing a balaclava? If not there shouldn't be any exception.

Archived