Gambling forum quick questions thread

Anyone ever place bets with Pinnacle? I haven't heard much of them but oddsway pretty consistently shows that they offer the offer the best odds in most football markets, so I'm wondering if there's a catch or if it's worthwhile opening an account. Massive differences in prices for some games.

Best bookmaker by a country mile. High limits, best odds and they let you win without shutting you down. Pinnacle are the only bookmaker I actually use now, and if they weren't there I wouldn't have been able to do what I do for the past 8 years or so. If bookmakers were football teams, Pinnacle would be Barcelona and the likes of William Hill and Bet365 would be Plymouth and Dagenham and Redbridge. Everyone should have an account. The layout and the way they display their odds is a bit different to most, and they don't offer stuff like first goalscorer, correct score and so on (except for the biggest games), but they are excellent on what they do offer on football: Asian Handicap, match odds and totals. For American sports they are superb, and will take £20,000 bets without blinking.

Let's say I layed Hibs on Saturday against Dundee Utd. When I choose the backers odds, are these odds for Hibs to win? For people who want to back Hibs I take it?

And when laying all 3 outcomes, should I back in play depending on how they are going. Or should I lay them with prices I think are right and hope they get matched and I should win money.

If you click on lay, the default price you're laying will be the one that's there already. Particularly several days beforw a game, make sure you're not laying something way higher than you should be. You can move this default price up and down as you please, and obviously you also need to set the amount. Some people use Betfair just like a normal bookmaker, taking whatever money is there at a given price at that time. You can also be a more traditional layer by putting money in the market and leaving it there for others to take.

You shouldn't be attempting to lay all three prices unless you know what you're doing and what you're hoping to achieve. We were just talking about an old post of mine the other day, it doesn't mean it's right for everyone. There is no right and wrong strategy, lots of methods can make money and lots of them can be a disaster.

If you click on lay, the default price you're laying will be the one that's there already. Particularly several days beforw a game, make sure you're not laying something way higher than you should be. You can move this default price up and down as you please, and obviously you also need to set the amount. Some people use Betfair just like a normal bookmaker, taking whatever money is there at a given price at that time. You can also be a more traditional layer by putting money in the market and leaving it there for others to take.

You shouldn't be attempting to lay all three prices unless you know what you're doing and what you're hoping to achieve. We were just talking about an old post of mine the other day, it doesn't mean it's right for everyone. There is no right and wrong strategy, lots of methods can make money and lots of them can be a disaster.

Ok im setting up a betfair account and its asking for my age and address etc. Since i am not 18 can i just lie about my age or will I need to confirm by sending them a copy of my iD or something? I hope they are not going to mail me stuff.

Of all the gambling sites I'm registered with, probably about a third of them asked me to email a picture of a passport or driving license before being allowed to bet. Betfair wasn't one of them. At least back then. I've been on Betfair for a couple of years now, so I'm not sure what their policies on that are.

Ok and what if i forget to cancel the bet before it starts and it gets matched loads of times, but I only have a small amount of money in my account?

edit to add: one more thing. If i lay an outcome before the match and then bet again in play (probably backing said outcome), betfair shows me my winnings/losses if each outcome happens. eg Celtic £2.00 Kilmarnock £2.00 Draw £11.60

are these projected profits/losses taking into account my previous bet (before the match started) and it is my overall profit/loss for this match? or is it only my most recent bet

Edited by Akpo Sodje

Your money only gets matched once. As soon as someone has matched your bet, that's it. Betfair wouldn't let you be liable for more than you have in your account.

And yes, those are the projected profit and loss taking into account the previous bet, and are a total for the match.

Best bookmaker by a country mile. High limits, best odds and they let you win without shutting you down. Pinnacle are the only bookmaker I actually use now, and if they weren't there I wouldn't have been able to do what I do for the past 8 years or so. If bookmakers were football teams, Pinnacle would be Barcelona and the likes of William Hill and Bet365 would be Plymouth and Dagenham and Redbridge. Everyone should have an account. The layout and the way they display their odds is a bit different to most, and they don't offer stuff like first goalscorer, correct score and so on (except for the biggest games), but they are excellent on what they do offer on football: Asian Handicap, match odds and totals. For American sports they are superb, and will take £20,000 bets without blinking.

Of all the gambling sites I'm registered with, probably about a third of them asked me to email a picture of a passport or driving license before being allowed to bet. Betfair wasn't one of them. At least back then. I've been on Betfair for a couple of years now, so I'm not sure what their policies on that are.

Yeah this is why I haven't already registered with Pinnacle. They want pictures of my debit card front and back and photo ID. And TBH I can't really be arsed!

Looks like it's changed :( I was allowed to bet last night and layed Inverness for a couple of quid, then at half time I was about to back them to ensure a small profit if they won, or break even if Aberdeen won/draw but it wouldn't let me :bairn cheers for the help though, understand it more now and I'll keep trying

Ok so a common backing/laying method is laying the draw before the game then backing it in play after a goal is scored. What happens when there are no goals as time goes on? When do you take action. I guess you back the draw anyway so you have all outcomes covered, even if you make a small loss if either team score.

And is this method a simple way to make profit?

Ok so a common backing/laying method is laying the draw before the game then backing it in play after a goal is scored. What happens when there are no goals as time goes on? When do you take action. I guess you back the draw anyway so you have all outcomes covered, even if you make a small loss if either team score.

And is this method a simple way to make profit?

You take action by reading the game and working out when you're bet looks like losing. But only the most disciplined are prepared to take this loss when their is still the chance of the bet giving a good opportunity to trade. I personally don't like this strategy as in a lot of cases the prices of the draw won't rise when the first goal is scored, unless one team is a strong favourite and they score the first goal. If the second goal is an equaliser then you could well find yourself in trouble. And if there was any simple way to make profit then everyone would be doing it.

I don't wish to put you off, and please take this in the spirit it is intended, but you are trying far too much far too fast.

You need to have a sound knowledge of how things work if you want to bet to make profit as opposed to betting for fun with the side chance of making a profit. At the moment you don't appear to have anywhere near enough knowledge about betting to be doing anything other than £x accumulators on a coupon.

Treat it as fun for a couple of years, and if you happen to find that you have a knack for reading football matches after this time, then buy Betfair for Dummies.

You take action by reading the game and working out when you're bet looks like losing. But only the most disciplined are prepared to take this loss when their is still the chance of the bet giving a good opportunity to trade. I personally don't like this strategy as in a lot of cases the prices of the draw won't rise when the first goal is scored, unless one team is a strong favourite and they score the first goal. If the second goal is an equaliser then you could well find yourself in trouble. And if there was any simple way to make profit then everyone would be doing it.

I don't wish to put you off, and please take this in the spirit it is intended, but you are trying far too much far too fast.

You need to have a sound knowledge of how things work if you want to bet to make profit as opposed to betting for fun with the side chance of making a profit. At the moment you don't appear to have anywhere near enough knowledge about betting to be doing anything other than £x accumulators on a coupon.

Treat it as fun for a couple of years, and if you happen to find that you have a knack for reading football matches after this time, then buy Betfair for Dummies.

I've not actually started doing any of this yet, still waiting for my betfair account to be authorised. No offence taken, i know i dont know enough (which is why I'm asking so many questions about it!) but I want to be serious about making money out of this when I feel im ready. Do you have any advice how I can practice 'reading football matches' as you say? Or should I just check the odds of games before the match and see how they change during it. And do this with all sorts of games e.g evenly matched game, good team v crap team etc.

Thanks. :)

Edit: would you reccomend Winning on Betfair for Dummies, Mastering Betfair (link) or The Definitive Guide to Betting on Football (link) ? Or all 3 for £30?

Edited by Akpo Sodje

Don't buy Betfair for Dummies, it's about as useful as a guide on how to put your socks on. Someone thought they were being kind when they bought it for me once (knowing what I do), but it couldn't be more useless even if you know nothing. Try The Definitive Guide to Betting Exchanges , which I also got as a gift and didn't need at all.

I'm also going to have a book published about sports betting, probably within three months but certainly within six. I'll send you a free copy.

Don't buy Betfair for Dummies, it's about as useful as a guide on how to put your socks on. Someone thought they were being kind when they bought it for me once (knowing what I do), but it couldn't be more useless even if you know nothing. Try The Definitive Guide to Betting Exchanges , which I also got as a gift and didn't need at all.

I'm also going to have a book published about sports betting, probably within three months but certainly within six. I'll send you a free copy.

Post when you do, I'll probably buy a copy. You seem like a smart guy and people say you have good advice, but I'm too lazy to search back tongue.gif

Brilliant mate cheers :)

There is always a favourite, unless all three outcomes are 2/1, but even then that's three co-favourites? :unsure:

What I did say is that if you think that the favourite is under priced, then there will almost always be value in backing the draw. If you think about it, this is common sense. Some leagues have lower draw percentages and some teams don't draw very often. The leagues with low draw percentages are usually poor standard leagues with lots of goals. You'll find if you try laying all three outcomes to about 110% and backing all three outcome to about 88%-89% that when you've layed the favourite, more often than not you'll also end up backing the draw.

Backing the draw blindly in every game wouldn't make a long-term profit unless you've got good reason to do so. It also probably would lose your money only very slowly, and would be less bad than backing every home or every away in most leagues. You're not really looking for strategies that show maybe a 5% loss long-term though.