Gambling forum quick questions thread

Fairly new to coupons... on the Scotbet website I want to pick seven games to bet on... it gives me the option of clicking 'accumulator' but there is also an option which says 'six-folds.' The 'six-folds' has a possible return of £8000 while the 'accumulator' only has a return of $2000. So what's the difference between the two?

Edited by vercol36

Fairly new to coupons... on the Scotbet website I want to pick seven games to bet on... it gives me the option of clicking 'accumulator' but there is also an option which says 'six-folds.' The 'six-folds' has a possible return of £8000 while the 'accumulator' only has a return of $2000. So what's the difference between the two?

£1 on an accumulator means you are betting £1 on all 7 results to come in. £1 on six folds means your are betting £1 on all 7 combinations containing 6 of the 7 matches. Therefore your total stake would be £7, hence why the return is higher.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to click on the link, but if you don't know what you're doing to start with, buying strategies is about as useful as buying a manual telling you how to perform brain surgery. There are plenty of internet forums and other sites where there is a wealth of free information about betting strategies. There are very few get rich quick strategies that can be acquired in such a way, particularly if your experience of betting and trading is limited. You have to do the hard work in working out how to win yourself.

I'm not going to click on the link, but if you don't know what you're doing to start with, buying strategies is about as useful as buying a manual telling you how to perform brain surgery. There are plenty of internet forums and other sites where there is a wealth of free information about betting strategies. There are very few get rich quick strategies that can be acquired in such a way, particularly if your experience of betting and trading is limited. You have to do the hard work in working out how to win yourself.

I would know what I am doing to start with, I've read a ton of stuff on the web and think I'm ready. If I could buy a strategy that trades on price alone that is what I'm looking for. Just wondering if anyone has used those ones or any others. It's from the sports trading life website, dont know if you know how reliable they are?

If someone has a strategy that is so brilliant, why would they need to sell it? Even if it does work, then many people will have bought it and they'll all be trying to do the same thing, reducing any edge that may have been there in the first place. If you know what you're doing, and you think you know how to win, then do it. Much better than relying on someone else to do it for you.

Today I received an e-mail from a bookmaker who I'm registered with online, punting both British sides to win in the Champions League tonight (Arsenal and Man City).

The 'enhanced' double on offer was 14/1. So my question is thus:-

If you were sure that say, Arsenal would win, given the difference in price of the 'enhanced' double and the price singularly, what sort of calculation or process would you undertake to 'guarantee' (in as much that you were sure at least one of the sides would win - I'm not claiming a 'phree munny!!!' type deal here) a profit?

Hope that makes sense (it probably doesn't!) but I know what I'm trying to say! :lol:

Today I received an e-mail from a bookmaker who I'm registered with online, punting both British sides to win in the Champions League tonight (Arsenal and Man City).

The 'enhanced' double on offer was 14/1. So my question is thus:-

If you were sure that say, Arsenal would win, given the difference in price of the 'enhanced' double and the price singularly, what sort of calculation or process would you undertake to 'guarantee' (in as much that you were sure at least one of the sides would win - I'm not claiming a 'phree munny!!!' type deal here) a profit?

Hope that makes sense (it probably doesn't!) but I know what I'm trying to say! :lol:

You have then effectively backed city to win at 14/1.

Use trickeybets lay calculator and play about with returns from a 14/1 shot on your stake.

If you're looking at any football match, you have to assign a probability to a home win, draw and away win. These have to add up to 100%. What I then do myself is to lay all 3 outcomes with a 107-110% book approximately. Then I'll try backing all 3 outcomes to about 88%. Using this method I'll get more lay bets matched than backs, but when the backs get matched my perceived edge will be slightly greater. I pay absolutely no attention to bookmaker prices, I back my own judgement completely. Basically I am using Betfair to be a bookmaker myself.

Couple of quesitons about this post from a while ago

- Do you place even stakes on all outcomes or different according to price?

- When is the best time to back and lay the outcomes? Early in the week or when there is already lots of money in the market..

- When is the best time to back and lay the outcomes? Early in the week or when there is already lots of money in the market..

You really think that you can have a crack at trading and dont know the answer to these two questions. Clearly the stuff you are reading isnt helping.

I am by no way a profesional gambler but I can tell you that of course you place different stakes depending on the price and of course the best value is early in the market where there is a much larger book than at 2.55 on a Saturday.

You really think that you can have a crack at trading and dont know the answer to these two questions. Clearly the stuff you are reading isnt helping.

I am by no way a profesional gambler but I can tell you that of course you place different stakes depending on the price and of course the best value is early in the market where there is a much larger book than at 2.55 on a Saturday.

Cheers. I don't mean i think i can make a living off trading or anything but anyone can make money when they find something that works. Also a trader told me i should actually be aiming for even stakes across outcomes, although he did tell me its unlikely I'd get the same amount matched on them

Different. Nothing to stop you betting the same stakes on everything and making it work of course. I have different staking strategies for different sports and different types of bet. My biggest problem is finding a way to get the bets on for the stakes I want.

Depends on what you wanting to achieve. If you're using exchanges, you'll not get much matched early but what you do get matched can be at good odds if you know what you're doing. If I could have unlimited stakes on advertised football prices on a Monday or Tuesday for weekend games, I'd be significantly better off than I actually am because they're often way wrong but the bookmakers will only take pocket change even before they realise you know more than them.

So my odds for this weekend's match with profit margin built in are

Back odds

Stoke: 2.55

Draw: 4.06

Swansea: 4.13

Lay odds

Stoke: 2.04

Draw: 3.25

Swansea: 3.30

Would the stake of the Stoke Back and Swansea Lay be the same (and vice versa) or would the stake of the Stoke Back and Stoke Lay be the same?

If that doesn't make sense, if all bets were matched (I know this won't happen) I'd be up a fair bit on the Stoke side, up slightly on the draw and down slightly on the Swansea side. Thats if the Stoke Back/Swansea Lay stakes are the same. If the Stoke Back and Stoke Lay stakes are the same I'm up slightly on all outcomes. Is that what you're hoping to gain (all green) or do you end up being more weighted in favour of an outcome?

What are you trying to achieve? If it's a pre-match trade, you're going about it the wrong way probably. In that case, by far the simplest way to do it is to pick one outcome and back or lay it now with a view to trading out later. Most of the time this would be trading the price of the favourite. You're looking for a price you can take now which you're sure is going to move one way or the other.

On the other hand, if you're looking to be a market maker, or a backer and layer of all outcomes, then you're not going too far wrong. You're backing to 88% or so (I always back three outcomes in a football match between 88% and 89%) and you're laying about 110%. Those are reasonable percentages, although I think you've got the Stoke back and lay prices too far apart and the other two too close together. If I'm doing this, I will leave my prices in the market up until kick off, possibly tweaking them as time goes on. You're basically calculating the percentage chance of each outcome occurring, and building in a profit margin into this. Unless there's a lot of early action and the prices are all over the place leading to matching on both sides, I'll tend to stick the bets in there and let them ride. I tend to either end up laying the favourite and backing the draw OR backing the favourite and possibly laying the outsider as well. This comes about because most of the time I weight my prices so that I'm not laying the draw very often at all, if ever. My back and lay prices for the draw would be much further apart, with my back and lay prices for the favourite much closer together. If I were to be laying the favourite at 2.04, my back would be in at around 2.28 or 2.3. Not that I'm right of course, but it works for me.

The stakes you can do what you like. My staking plan for this would be:

Odds on favourite, back or lay £X whatever the price. ie If the price is 1.50, you're backing £X to win £0.5X, and you're laying £X for a liability of £0.5X to win £X.

Odds between 2.00 and 3.00, back or lay for a liability/profit of £X

Any price above 3.00, back it for level stakes of £0.5X, and lay it up to a liability of £X. The only exception being if I'm backing something over 10/1, I might cut the stake a bit.

Therefore using the above staking plan, your maximum loss on any market would be £2X. Due to backing prices above 2/1 for level stakes, the potential maximum win would be higher than £2X. Apart from small bits and pieces early in the week, you don't usually get the back and lay prices matched on the same outcome. If you do, this is fantastic and is why bookmakers make so much money if idiots don't shop around for prices and take their poor prices with 110%+ margins. I will not trade out of any of these bets at the last minute as each one should be at good value if I've got my calculations right. That way I'll win some and lose some and won't be liable for as much premium charge in the long run. If I was trading out of markets and making a profit 90% of the time, I would be worse off regarding premium charge, Betfair/Betdaq points and commission rate and potential profit.

yes I'm not trying to trade, just a market maker. I was distributing the 12% and 10% margins proportionate to prices, but if I make them the same (4%-4%-4% and 3.33%-3.33%-3.33%) then I'd have the Stoke back and lay prices closer together and the others further apart, so I guess that's where I've gone wrong. For this particular match, there is already a fair amount of money in the market and prices been established

Edited by Akpo Sodje

yes I'm not trying to trade, just a market maker. I was distributing the 12% and 10% margins proportionate to prices, but if I make them the same (4%-4%-4% and 3.33%-3.33%-3.33%) then I'd have the Stoke back and lay prices closer together and the others further apart, so I guess that's where I've gone wrong. For this particular match, there is already a fair amount of money in the market and prices been established

Out of intrest, what kind of bank would be starting this with?