1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Just got a scary notification from Google telling me how much I'd walked, driven, spent time in hotels, restaurants and bars in the month of June. I'd more or less accepted that the convenience of allowing apps to know your location etc was worth the loss of privacy unless I was planning a bank heist, but this hit home. I'm old so it doesn't really matter but if I was younger and worried what might get out to the likes of insurance companies, mortgage dealers, future employers etc I'd seriously consider switching all my privacy settings to maximum and maybe getting shot of a smart phone altogether.

I got that too a few months ago, no secrets from Google.  Though it's quite handy for keeping track of how many miles I do.

32 minutes ago, bennett said:

I got that too a few months ago, no secrets from Google.  Though it's quite handy for keeping track of how many miles I do.

How do the different Miles feel about that?

36 minutes ago, bennett said:

Saves buying a fitbit or something I suppose. Not sure how to access the daily data though. 

5 hours ago, HTG said:

I, for one, am shocked by the idea of a top Tory being a callous inveterate shagger who doesn't experience human emotion.

That's why people vote for them, presumably. Nobody gets to act surprised at this point.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just got a scary notification from Google telling me how much I'd walked, driven, spent time in hotels, restaurants and bars in the month of June. I'd more or less accepted that the convenience of allowing apps to know your location etc was worth the loss of privacy unless I was planning a bank heist, but this hit home. I'm old so it doesn't really matter but if I was younger and worried what might get out to the likes of insurance companies, mortgage dealers, future employers etc I'd seriously consider switching all my privacy settings to maximum and maybe getting shot of a smart phone altogether.

I get that if you aren't too security conscious the location function of Google etc can pick up where you've been. However, the nature of my job dictates that my phone must be switched off/on flight mode so that there is no communication whilst I am working, yet even with this in place Google is able to give a very accurate footprint of my movements including during working hours.

I'm old fashioned and would get divorced before I would cheat, but I'm disturbed that this kind of info could lead to my wife finding out how often I actually visit Greggs.

3 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

I get that if you aren't too security conscious the location function of Google etc can pick up where you've been. However, the nature of my job dictates that my phone must be switched off/on flight mode so that there is no communication whilst I am working, yet even with this in place Google is able to give a very accurate footprint of my movements including during working hours.

I'm old fashioned and would get divorced before I would cheat, but I'm disturbed that this kind of info could lead to my wife finding out how often I actually visit Greggs.

By the same token, with some of the location data degraded, the locations set are sometimes seriously off without showing the old circle of possible error. Got in a fight because the ex-wife was convinced I was a quarter of a mile from work at a hotel across the highway because of poor location data.