BioShock Infinite

#Gary

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each to their own. I have just played through it and the twist in Infinite is even more stunning than in the first Bioshock, IMO. The first hour was possibly even better than the introduction to the first game too - I was disappointed to have to fight.

The gameplay mechanics are just the same, skyline excepted, but the storytelling was the best I've come across since Half-Life 2.

Skyline was rotten.

Story was ok

Couple things didn't tie together for me, but was a good game, just not as good as the other for me.

And not too creepy either, although I did jump at the wardens office boys of silence part. The twat.

Sorry! forgot some people may not have finished.!!

I hope no-one sees that last post and is put off. What a disservice (and HUGE spoiler!)

The plot twists in Bioshock and Infinite work completely differently. The first half of Bioshock set the scene like no game before it, but beyond the twist the storytelling fell flat and the rest of the game turned into a run-of-the-mill shooter. Bioshock Infinite, on the other hand, had all of the stunning scene setting of the first game, but then slowly unwrapped the real story in the second half. The twist at the end of Infinite still surprised me, but it was only really needed to close some questions.

Some of my favourite aspects:

• Showing the class divide - and institutionalised racism - in a way I hadn't seen in a game before
  • The coming of age of Elizabeth
  • The abusive relationship with Songbird
  • The way that Elizabeth is led to think that the Vox are initially the good guys, but in the end it doesn't matter what side of the fence they're on because it always ends up the same
  • The difference from the morality choices in Bioshock: the trolling on the player is that everything comes to the same conclusion regardless, for a reason
  • The way in which the two games loop, but I don't see how the series can continue beyond that.

I really enjoyed the first half of the game, for simply repeating and improving on the same structure as Bioshock. The second half of the game was a brilliant mindfuck though. The average shooting got in the way sometimes.

I hope no-one sees that last post and is put off. What a disservice (and HUGE spoiler!)

The plot twists in Bioshock and Infinite work completely differently. The first half of Bioshock set the scene like no game before it, but beyond the twist the storytelling fell flat and the rest of the game turned into a run-of-the-mill shooter. Bioshock Infinite, on the other hand, had all of the stunning scene setting of the first game, but then slowly unwrapped the real story in the second half. The twist at the end of Infinite still surprised me, but it was only really needed to close some questions.

Some of my favourite aspects:

• Showing the class divide - and institutionalised racism - in a way I hadn't seen in a game before
  • The coming of age of Elizabeth
  • The abusive relationship with Songbird
  • The way that Elizabeth is led to think that the Vox are initially the good guys, but in the end it doesn't matter what side of the fence they're on because it always ends up the same
  • The difference from the morality choices in Bioshock: the trolling on the player is that everything comes to the same conclusion regardless, for a reason
  • The way in which the two games loop, but I don't see how the series can continue beyond that.

I really enjoyed the first half of the game, for simply repeating and improving on the same structure as Bioshock. The second half of the game was a brilliant mindfuck though. The average shooting got in the way sometimes.

Why couldn't she just open a tear to a alternative world, why not just take that step to paris?, the talk is that the siphon limit her powers but what a cop out, in some of the missions you transported to different eras.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed Infinite, I think I'd possibly hyped it up too much in my head prior to it's release. I would have liked to have been able to explore more of Columbia. I thought that part of it was really lacking as the city in the sky had so much potential.

But nothing in Infinite gets close to the big twist in the first Bioshock.

The only thing that's came close to making my mouth hang open like that is the red wedding in Game of Thrones..

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed Infinite, I think I'd possibly hyped it up too much in my head prior to it's release. I would have liked to have been able to explore more of Columbia. I thought that part of it was really lacking as the city in the sky had so much potential.

But nothing in Infinite gets close to the big twist in the first Bioshock.

The only thing that's came close to making my mouth hang open like that is the red wedding in Game of Thrones..

Both red wedding and the first bioshock elicited the exact same response from me.

Something like eh, nah that can't be what's happening, holy shit this is really happening, I cannot believe what just happened. And shouting other profanities at the tv.

I agree about building it up, the bioshock series have been a favourite of mine and I though this would be no different, story just wasn't as immersive, atmosphere wasn't the same, it was barely tense. I enjoyed battling the robot patriots of the wee presidents.

But I was tense as when I heard the groan of the big daddies in the first of the high pitched shriek of the sisters in the second.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the DLC today and it is really short around two and half hours I got out of it and that was including the time to try and hunt down all the audio diaries.

I did enjoy it but it just doesn't feel that much like Rapture to me with too many wide open spaces and you dont see the sea as much as you did in Bioshock 1 and 2.

Don't want to say much about the story to avoid spoiling it but wasn't impressed.

• 4 months later...

Anyone downloaded Burial at Sea episode 2 yet? Initial response for the first one was that it wasn't value for money, so how does this one compare?

ETA: Shame to see Irrational Games are (essentially) no more. Interesting to see where 2K take Bioshock without Ken Levine and Irrational Games http://irrationalgames.com/new-featured/a-message-from-ken-levine-2/

Completed the second episode of burial at sea last night. It's much better and longer than the first one. Plays much closer to the original bioshock.

The story also makes much more sense this time round apart from the initial setup. It ties Colombia and Rapture much closer together but it still leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

One of the plasmids is way over powered if you find the upgrades for it and the middle part is really just filler to pad out the length of the game. It took me around 5-6 hours to complete but I wasn't racing through it.

The DLC file is pretty big around 3gb and is split into two parts you need to download both.

• 3 months later...

Just finished this. What a fucking game. That bit near the end when:

you're transported to Rapture

56384_f86d74b81e75a35dd6acf76db97849c2.j

My head hurts :lol:

Just picked up all 3 Bioshock games on Humble Bundle.

Is there any reason to play them in order? Does the story continue in any of them?

Infinite does stand alone, but I would strongly recommend playing them in order.

Just picked up all 3 Bioshock games on Humble Bundle.

Is there any reason to play them in order? Does the story continue in any of them?

Bioshock 2 picks up ten years after the original and uses the same setting but it has a different lead character and a different focus with it's story. Bioshock Infinite does stand on it's own but you'll appreciate it far more if you've played the original first.

Infinite does stand alone, but I would strongly recommend playing them in order.

Bioshock 2 picks up ten years after the original and uses the same setting but it has a different lead character and a different focus with it's story. Bioshock Infinite does stand on it's own but you'll appreciate it far more if you've played the original first.

Cheers. To be honest, Ive played the first one and struggled to get into it. Im willing to give it another go, but I wondered if I could just jump straight to Infinite first and then go back to the first two

Cheers. To be honest, Ive played the first one and struggled to get into it. Im willing to give it another go, but I wondered if I could just jump straight to Infinite first and then go back to the first two

I'd definitely recommend at least giving Bioshock another go before going onto Infinite as it's not only a fantastic game in it's own right but it also enhances the experience of playing Infinite, although I can't really say much more than that for spoiler related reasons. You could honestly skip Bioshock 2 and go onto Infinite first and revisit 2 later. Bioshock 2 is a good enough game in it's own right, certainly better than I remembered it being when I originally played it anyway, but Infinite isn't really made anymore rewarding for you if you've played it.

Do you remember how far you got in Bioshock the first time you played it by the way?

Archived