Unpopular opinions.

Normally we'd consider removing such ignorant, dangerous, views.

But the self policing by others so decisively shooting them down seems better to me.

I genuinely dont think that actual point is dangerous or ignorant. If someone is over weight then getting some structure about their life to allow them to get out and exercise more would be a massive benefit to them. Now I haven’t commented on how easy or difficult this will be and I already said that it is not a one stop solution for everyone

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I have a brutal '5 consecutive kids photo posts and you're on the ignore but stay friends list'.  No exceptions.

My colleague sent me a WhatsApp photo of her new born the other day and it took every bit of will power not to reply with "very good".  Photo just reminded me of the baby in Trainspotting, but with a bit more colour.

One of the few great things about lockdown has been the ability to dodge the new parents with kids too young to be interesting (and all they do is talk about the kid anyway).

... and yes, I'm a terrible person.

"Congratulations on ripping your fanny to bits."

I genuinely dont think that actual point is dangerous or ignorant. If someone is over weight then getting some structure about their life to allow them to get out and exercise more would be a massive benefit to them. Now I haven’t commented on how easy or difficult this will be and I already said that it is not a one stop solution for everyone
Not one person has said that exercise and routine isn't a good thing it's the complete ignorance to the fact that you seem to think depression is a lifestyle choice and people should just exercise instead of getting professional help which could save their life.

Not one person has said that exercise and routine isn't a good thing it's the complete ignorance to the fact that you seem to think depression is a lifestyle choice and people should just exercise instead of getting professional help which could save their life.

I don’t think that’s what I said. I said that doctors are too quick to prescribe pills for it. As above, I said it’s not a one stop solution but it would likely help people with mild-moderate depression.

14 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

It quite clearly isn't, given that the rate of obesity is higher in the developed world. Well done on falling for a primary school level fail in your frantic Google-mining exercise though. 

4 hours ago, Aufc said:

His views are obviously rather extreme however I am a big advocate of exercise creating a healthy body and mind. Of course, it is not a one fit all solution, but if someone is feeling down because they are overweight then getting some structure in their life that will allow them to get some exercise to lose weight will, in my opinion, go a decent way to improving their mental health.

That's obviously true, but it completely misses the point and in doing so is a massive, dangerous insult to people suffering from depression.

If folk with depression could find the motivation to go for exercise they wouldn't be depressed. Depression makes you mentally incapable of forcing yourself to do things you should do or must do. People who want to die, or don't much care if they live or die, aren't going to take action to leave behind a fit corpse. 

Depression isn't the same as feeling a bit down, or tired, or stressed. It's not like the normal lower mood we all feel only a bit worse. It is a whole other category. If normal low mood is like a sprained wrist, depression is like an amputated arm. It's not that it doesn't work well, it's that it doesn't exist.

Depression very often comes with under-eating or over-eating because the sufferer has lost the capacity to care about themselves. Same with exercise, personal hygiene... everyone surely knows this stuff by now.

It's an insult because the person saying it must believe depression is a choice. That someone suffering with depression is doing it to themselves, on purpose, and could just choose not to. Go for a run, go to work, pull your socks up, snap out of it. It's all your own fault. 

That's ignorant AF and incredibly harmful to those suffering from mental illness. People with depression usually do think it's their own fault anyway, which is part of why they don't care or they hate themselves. Reinforcing that point will causes suicides.

Listen to people with experience of it and not self-promoting roasters.

33 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I don’t think that’s what I said. I said that doctors are too quick to prescribe pills for it. As above, I said it’s not a one stop solution but it would likely help people with mild-moderate depression.

I'm not remotely qualified enough or informed enough to make that judgement, and I know you're not either.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Depression isn't the same as feeling a bit down, or tired, or stressed. It's not like the normal lower mood we all feel only a bit worse. It is a whole other category. If normal low mood is like a sprained wrist, depression is like an amputated arm. It's not that it doesn't work well, it's that it doesn't exist.

Depression very often comes with under-eating or over-eating because the sufferer has lost the capacity to care about themselves. Same with exercise, personal hygiene... everyone surely knows this stuff by now.

It's an insult because the person saying it must believe depression is a choice. That someone suffering with depression is doing it to themselves, on purpose, and could just choose not to. Go for a run, go to work, pull your socks up, snap out of it. It's all your own fault. 

Gormless Gordon getting up on his soapbox based on a complete non-sequitur: house! 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

While I'm here it might be the place to say that Viking-Ton is the reason I don't go on the depression thread. 

Just now, GordonS said:

I don't know what this says but I'd put money on it proving my point.

Screenshot 2021-06-25 at 11.37.34.png

^^^ idiot found

51 minutes ago, Aufc said:

What's wrong with providing pills ?

34 minutes ago, GordonS said:

If folk with depression could find the motivation to go for exercise they wouldn't be depressed.

Folk like Michael Phelps and Serena Williams? These folk have publicly stated that they have battled depression. I'd say they get a fair amount of exercise.

40 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Folk like Michael Phelps and Serena Williams? These folk have publicly stated that they have battled depression. I'd say they get a fair amount of exercise.

Are you saying that because professional sports people can do it every body should?

Are you saying that because professional sports people can do it every body should?
I read that post as professional athletes are among the fittest in our society and even they suffer with depression so it's not as simple as saying exercise will 'cure' depression.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
30 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I read that post as professional athletes are among the fittest in our society and even they suffer with depression so it's not as simple as saying exercise will 'cure' depression.

Ah, that would make sense. I was wondering.

Naomi Osaka's not exactly the happiest right now either. She'd rather not play (and earn) at all than answer questions from the media.

Edited by GordonS